Facebook preview when posting comments, or videos not seen???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joeman
    • Jul 2010
    • 4.0.x

[Forum] Facebook preview when posting comments, or videos not seen???

I noticed that my forum does not show the preview of the photos or videos like for example youtube does. Is there a way to fix this so you can see the preview or is there something on vbulletin.org as an add-on?

Heres a screen shot of what Im talking about:Click image for larger version

Name:	facebook.png
Views:	1
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	3724763
    www.CamaroNation.com
  • Abdulla Ashoor
    • Feb 2005

Taking about facebook preview, right? This is related to Facebook and how its application api work I guess..
    if you post your thread link into your Facebook page, it will not going to show the YouTube video you posted it there.
    Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns

Links: vBulletin Manual - Code Documentation - FAQ - Bug Tracker - Lemon Juice
    vBulletin 5 Connect: Extensions - Articles - Features - Purchases

Comment

• joeman
      • Jul 2010
      • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Abdulla Ashoor
      Taking about facebook preview, right? This is related to Facebook and how its application api work I guess..
      if you post your thread link into your Facebook page, it will not going to show the YouTube video you posted it there.
      I guess its called facebook preview but, what I mean is this:

If I link to ANY content from my forum on facebook it does not display the pictures in the preview "as it does" with content from other sites. Youtube was just an example as to other site's content.
      www.CamaroNation.com

Comment

• joeman
        • Jul 2010
        • 4.0.x

Anyone have an idea if this is possible to do with vbulletin or have any of you had success with this on a fanpage or something? Can you provide an example of a working vbulletin facebook preview?
        www.CamaroNation.com

Comment

• joeman
          • Jul 2010
          • 4.0.x

Heres what you see on my facebook when I try and post a facebook link from a forum post that has photos in it.

The photo preview DOES NOT show up at all. The only thing you see is some text and the title of the forum post. Its my understanding that there should be some type of preview photo right???

Check it heres all I get:
          Attached Files
          www.CamaroNation.com

Comment

• PaulKet
            • Apr 2011
            • 4.1.x

I would like to get an answer for this as well.

Comment

• Ace
              • Apr 2004
              • 4.2.X

Code:
              [FONT=monospace]<meta property="og:image" content="http://www.camaronation.com/images/misc/vbulletin4_logo.png" />[/FONT]

If you define an og:image in your admincp, that's the og:image that's going to be used for every post.
              My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
              vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• PaulKet
                • Apr 2011
                • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Ace
                Code:
                [FONT=monospace]<meta property="og:image" content="http://www.camaronation.com/images/misc/vbulletin4_logo.png" />[/FONT]

If you define an og:image in your admincp, that's the og:image that's going to be used for every post.
                What I (and I think joeman) want is the first image in a post to be shown on Facebook, not the same predefined image every time a post is shared on Facebook.

Comment

• Ace
                  • Apr 2004
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by PaulKet
                  What I (and I think joeman) want is the first image in a post to be shown on Facebook, not the same predefined image every time a post is shared on Facebook.
                  Indeed.

Sorry, I thought ", so if you were to remove that line from your Facebook settings in your vBulletin AdminCP, so that when a link is shared, the end-user can choose from all available images" was implied.
                  vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• PaulKet
                    • Apr 2011
                    • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Ace
                    Indeed.

Sorry, I thought ", so if you were to remove that line from your Facebook settings in your vBulletin AdminCP, so that when a link is shared, the end-user can choose from all available images" was implied.
                    No need to say sorry, thank you very much for trying to help.

I think I missing something, if I go to my admin control panel > Settings > Options > Facebook Options and then down to where it says:

Specify a URL for an image that you want to represent your site. This image will appear next to published content in a user's newsfeed, as well as be used to represent your site in the Open Graph schema. Leave this blank if you do not want to have an image.

It is left blank. Are you saying that something similar to that meta property="og:image" line should be removed from a template?

Comment

• Ace
                      • Apr 2004
                      • 4.2.X

Not unless it's been added manually or by a modification. Leaving that line blank shouldn't define an og:image.

What's the URL to a thread on your site with an image that should be available to choose, but isn't?

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                        • Jul 2008

If you DON'T specify an og:image (you don't enter a URL for an image in Facebook Options) then Facebook will look for an appropriate thumbnail on your page, but it is hit and miss on if it finds one. It will likely never find an "attachment" but if you use inline images ([IMG] tags) there is a good chance it will find the image.

Comment

• adonato
                          • Feb 2012
                          • 5.5.x

Hello to every body, i'm from argentina, and I have my site: www.foromarchiquita.com.ar
                          I'm having problems when I try to share my site for example in my facebook wall, when I put my url web site a image doesn't show nothing,
                          I setuped the Facebook Option URL in the Forum Control Panel -> Facebook Options -> Image URL: http://www.foromarchiquita.com.ar/Fo...etin4_logo.png

But it's not working.
                          Please can you help me?

Comment

• Steve038
                            • Mar 2011

I too would like to know if this is possible. And if not, is someone able to tell me how I can get my logo to appear on Facebook every time myself or someone Likes a CMS article or thread? I've tried unsuccessfully to get my logo to appear on Facebook each time an article or thread is liked, but so far haven't got it right. All I get is a section of my header appearing when a CMS page is liked, and my avatar image appearing (stretched out and blurry) when a thread is liked. Any help? I started another thread on this but haven't got a response.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                              • Jul 2008

Facebook likes a larger, more squarer image then the link provided above- http://www.foromarchiquita.com.ar/Fo...etin4_logo.png

I suggest making an image 300 px wide by 200 to 300 tall and putting your logo on that image, and then specifying that as your facebook image in settings.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...