Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spencerp
    • Jan 2010
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] vB4 > vB3 downgrading question...

I'm not sure if this is technically supported or not, but theoretically how can this be done or possible? I'd rather just downgrade the forum from vB4 to vB3.x.x to have a speedier forum again. I'm tired of the over-bloated BS that vB4 currently has and then of course after seeing vB5.. forget about it.. LOL! Would I have to install phpBB3 locally, then import vB4 stuff to phpBB3, then into vB3? Or...? Thanks in advance..
  • snakes1100
    • Aug 2001

install vb3
    impex 4 to 3

there is a few ppl out there doing down grades for pay, but i have no idea how they are doing them or how much.
    Gentoo Geek

Comment

• spencerp
      • Jan 2010
      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by snakes1100
      install vb3
      impex 4 to 3

there is a few ppl out there doing down grades for pay, but i have no idea how they are doing them or how much.
      Thanks!!

Comment

• snakes1100
        • Aug 2001

If your having issues with the site being slow, it would be better to fix the server issue, versus all the work with impex.

If your vhosting, the down grade isnt going to help anyways.
        Gentoo Geek

Comment

• zascok
          • Jul 2012
          • 3.8.x

but i have no idea how they are doing them or how much.
          Convert to any free soft that offers converter then convert it to vb3 by impex. The trouble is passwords will be most probably gone.

Is impex really converting vb4 to vb3 now?

Comment

• snakes1100
            • Aug 2001

The main issue is going to be the loss of Album images/attachments, they dont exist in vb3, in vb4, album pics are attachments.
            Gentoo Geek

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by spencerp
              I'm not sure if this is technically supported or not, but theoretically how can this be done or possible? I'd rather just downgrade the forum from vB4 to vB3.x.x to have a speedier forum again. I'm tired of the over-bloated BS that vB4 currently has and then of course after seeing vB5.. forget about it.. LOL! Would I have to install phpBB3 locally, then import vB4 stuff to phpBB3, then into vB3? Or...? Thanks in advance..
              We don't support or recommend it. What exactly makes you think vB4 is so much slower than vB3?

Comment

• spencerp
                • Jan 2010
                • 4.1.x

If your having issues with the site being slow, it would be better to fix the server issue, versus all the work with impex.

If your vhosting, the down grade isnt going to help anyways.
                nah, wasn't server issues though. but when i first moved from "semi-dedicated hosting" to shared hosting, just edit faq page in admincp spit out the "Resource Limit Is Reached" messages all the time and host had to tweak settings for it, but just page loading, and speed of it in general is slower... http://www.webpagetest.org/video/com...,120916_G9_D56

yeah, i figured password conversions would be lost though, from vB to phpbb3 or phpbb3 to vb .. >_<. i didn't think they would be from vb4 to vb3 though lol...

attachments and etc be lost? wtf? i forget that far back when i had used vb3 before.. that it didn't have attachments and etc..? on the site, we started using file system with attachments within posts.. so you're saying all that be gone? wtf lol...

We don't support or recommend it. What exactly makes you think vB4 is so much slower than vB3?
                yeah i know it's not supported.. nor recommended. i just want a speedier forum again though, like should have to begin with. the proof is in pudding that vb4 is over-bloated/slower than vb3..

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

So whats wrong with vbulletin 4 that makes you think its not as fast?

The vbulletin 4 forum parts of the software are just as fast, if not faster in some places. Plus with an official and fairly good third party sphinx search. vB4 should be overall faster.

Comment

• snakes1100
                    • Aug 2001

My guess its his vhosting, as he pointed out.

I never said yo uwould lose attachments, i stated album pics, which in vb4 are now attachments.
                    Gentoo Geek

Comment

• spencerp
                      • Jan 2010
                      • 4.1.x

It mainly feels like a resource hog, and bulky compared to vB3. talkfreelance.com = vb3 .... footish.xxx = 4.2.x i don't have dedicated/vps hosting.. i'm on shared hosting. certifiedhosting.com. but after moving from semi-dedicated hosting to shared hosting.. kept getting the "Resource Limit Is Reached" messages all the time just editing FAQ page in admincp.. and it was only me and another staff member online doing anything. The host had to adjust settings just to have those "Resource Limit Is Reached" messages disappear. I notice, well anyone should notice it.. difference in loading vB support forums versus the vbulletin.org support forums speediness for loading and thread viewing and etc too. Forum software should be fast, simple, not so bloated, not resource hogging and such. Just seems like vB is trying to cram everything possible into it's software anymore..

Comment

• snakes1100
                        • Aug 2001

The issue is the host, 99% of the time they over sell the server your on.

Downgrading isnt going to help you.
                        Gentoo Geek

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by spencerp
                          It mainly feels like a resource hog, and bulky compared to vB3. talkfreelance.com = vb3 .... footish.xxx = 4.2.x i don't have dedicated/vps hosting.. i'm on shared hosting. certifiedhosting.com. but after moving from semi-dedicated hosting to shared hosting.. kept getting the "Resource Limit Is Reached" messages all the time just editing FAQ page in admincp.. and it was only me and another staff member online doing anything. The host had to adjust settings just to have those "Resource Limit Is Reached" messages disappear. I notice, well anyone should notice it.. difference in loading vB support forums versus the vbulletin.org support forums speediness for loading and thread viewing and etc too. Forum software should be fast, simple, not so bloated, not resource hogging and such. Just seems like vB is trying to cram everything possible into it's software anymore..
                          Feels like, is not evidence of the issue itself. I'd like hard data that's shows as such

Comment

• spencerp
                            • Jan 2010
                            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                            Feels like, is not evidence of the issue itself. I'd like hard data that's shows as such
                            I don't have the tools to find that info out at this time, hence just basically giving my "experiences" verbally in here. I don't have the time to run tools, make reports, and the like...sigh. I'll just switch to XenForo..if by chance I need vB of course I'll have license there and software for use. If you want, just remove this thread. Thanks.

Comment

• snakes1100
                              • Aug 2001

Changing to xenforo isnt going to fix anything either, your site is slow because of your server, not the forum software.
                              Gentoo Geek

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...