X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zascok
    • Jul 2012
    • 3.8.x

[Forum] Post Reporting User

Maybe i don't understand something. Please explain. In user infraction and post reporting. If i put an exixting username into the last box:

Post Reporting User

Reported post discussion threads default to being posted under the username of the reporter. To have the threads reported under another username, enter an existing username.

It posts as that user, but the title of post and post itself says the actual (the one that made a report) user's nickname. What esle I have to do to keep a reporters anonymity?
  • Ace
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.2.X

That would require custom coding, for which you need to ask over at vbulletin.org
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• zascok
      • Jul 2012
      • 3.8.x

What is the point of "Post Reporting User" then?

Comment

• Ace
        • Apr 2004
        • 4.2.X

I don't know, I'm not a developer.
        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• zascok
          • Jul 2012
          • 3.8.x

Right, thank you anyway. I just thought you might know the purpose of that.

Comment

• Ace
            • Apr 2004
            • 4.2.X

Really, why do you need to add the anonymousness to the thread title? Set the 'Forum that Reported Posts Thread are Created in' to a staff-only forum, and you don't need to worry about their anonymity.

Comment

• zascok
              • Jul 2012
              • 3.8.x

Can't do it Ace, would like to but there are principals I don't wanna break. Just in case is there any way to replace somehow the variable $reportinfo[rusername] in phrases ? Or I have to go ahead and just delete it ?

Comment

• Ace
                • Apr 2004
                • 4.2.X

Not sure.. but probably doable. It's a bit late here for my brain to figure it out but will have a look tomorrow morning.

Comment

• zascok
                  • Jul 2012
                  • 3.8.x

Don't worry I just went trough the phrases and changed the var to username than suppose to publish reports in designated forum. Didn't change it only in the email templates, just in case if we need to know who was it.

But the question is remaining: what is the Post Reporting User for?

anyone from developers please?

Comment

• Ace
                    • Apr 2004
                    • 4.2.X

It's for you to either define a specific user (some sites create a staff account just for this) who the Reported Thread will be created by.

If you don't define one, it uses the Reporter's username for the post.

Comment

• zascok
                      • Jul 2012
                      • 3.8.x

ok, but that staff account is creating a topic with the actual user's nickname in it and the thread subject, while explanation says
                      Reported post discussion threads default to being posted under the username of the reporter. To have the threads reported under another username, enter an existing username.
                      I don't understand the point, what is the purpose to designate someones account when it's anyway shows who has created the report

Comment

• Ace
                        • Apr 2004
                        • 4.2.X

That setting has nothing to do with the title or content of the posting, it's just the Account that posted it.

Leave it blank, set the forum that the posts go into so that only the thread starter and staff can see it, and you allow the reporter to have a discussion about the report. Leave the forum closed to all but staff, and nobody but staff can see it.

Put in a Staff name and in a staff area, only staff will see it.

I don't think I understand your question or the reasoning behind why you are so concerned with including the name of the person who made the post. If it didn't, you would never know who was doing the reporting. Somebody could just abuse it completely, flooding you with reports, and you'd never be able to find out who.

Comment

• zascok
                          • Jul 2012
                          • 3.8.x

The reason is simple: I want to have an ability to get anonymous reports. Most of the time users doesn't want to get involved in it, so they don't report. As we have an open forum designated for reports. Transparency keeps users sober.

And about abuse , just like I said I left the variable untouched in e-mail about the report templates' body. Admins and mods are getting those emails with actual reporters nickname and email, although only email would be good enough to find who is it.

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

If you want things to be anon, maybe you shouldn't have your reported post forum public.

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by zascok
                              The reason is simple: I want to have an ability to get anonymous reports. Most of the time users doesn't want to get involved in it, so they don't report. As we have an open forum designated for reports. Transparency keeps users sober.

And about abuse , just like I said I left the variable untouched in e-mail about the report templates' body. Admins and mods are getting those emails with actual reporters nickname and email, although only email would be good enough to find who is it.
                              Well basically it's your word and a "lack there of" when it comes to them seeing there name present after submitting a report. Anyone who knows anything about databases can tell you even if you do custom coding and remove it from the front-end, it's still all visible in the back-end/database so no matter what it all boils down to, do your members trust in the fact your unbiased? We could truly go into specifics but long story short we need to know MORE about what your trying to do... i.e.

- Is this a forum viewable by all YET you want it that way so people can view "Anonymous" reports and vote/poll the action required? *I can see the point in this and it makes sense.
                              - Is this just a private forum where only staff will see the threads being made when someone/something is reported? *If it is see what we were all hinting at above, basically if you have trusted staff there should be no requirement to be "anonymous" per say.

So what we are trying to tell you is, it works as-intended but if you can give us some more info as to how you intend on using this we might be able to steer you in a better direction instead of sideways atm .

Former vBulletin Support Staff
                              Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
                              Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...