• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vBBurger
    • Oct 2010

[Forum] User Reputation Points System

Regarding User Reputation System:

I see point ranges of

But what if only 4 people vote on their reputation? Their reputation will never change. My forum isn't known for its participatory users. We post a poll, 500 people view it, and 2 vote. Its a very strange bunch. So if we are waiting for 350 votes before they reach a certain level, it will never happen. So my questions are this:

1) How many points does the reputation change with each vote positive, or negative ?
    2) Would it be logical to lower the thresshold to 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 for a site like mine ?

Thanks

VBB
    Helpful forums on hair loss support and information.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Reputation is a system that happens (slowly) over time, if only 4 people vote on a specific users rep then his rep wont grow much. But a users reputation is not from 1 single post, its the collection of all reputation given on all posts.

The reputation levels can be adjusted as you want, the rep pips in the users profile/posts grow based on a set number, darker green pips are 100 rep, brighter green pips are 200 rep. Grey is off. darker red pips (after -1) are 100 each, lighter red pips are each worth -200.

The text you're seeing I believe is based on the hover text for the pips.

Comment

• vBBurger
      • Oct 2010

Thanks -

Don't think my questions were addressed though so I will rephrase them:

1) How many points does the reputation change when someone votes on them, positively or negatively? I know that each user has different reputation power, but overall, whats the typical amount it will change?

2) Would it be logical to lower the thresshold to 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 for a site like mine, where users dont participate much ? I didnt see a clear response to this specifically phrased question. When it takes 3,000 votes to get to a certain level, I can fairly assume this will *never* Happen on a forum like mine, so I am wondering if I should change the upper thresshhold to something like 1,000 instead. The answer to this is heavily based upon the answer to question 1. If 1 vote only increases their reputation by 1 ... it may take eternity to change levels.

3) Or even knock out some of the levels. I dont understand why there are like 10 positive levels and 2 negative ones. Its funny because the descriptions dont even really change. One level they're a beacon of light, another they're splendid, another they've got a good future. If you set these side by side you would never know which one is "better" than the other. That tells me there are way too many positive thresshholds. Can I delete some safely?

The text you're seeing I believe is based on the hover text for the pips.
      ?

I didnt ask about any text in my first post. Confused with this one. If you mean the numbers, im seeing them in the ACP.

Also - where *exactly* do I find the reputation icon image so I can replace it?
      Last edited by vBBurger; Tue 3 Jul '12, 5:30pm.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

forumfolder/images/reputation/*

Comment

• vBBurger
          • Oct 2010

Had another question on this -

I dont want to mess with this system if its super complex, but there are only 4 negative categories and 10 positive ones.

Will it mess up the algorhythm if I make it 4 and 4 ?

Specifically the green reputation icons. There are tons of them. Surely they are tied to the tiers of reputation in the ACP.

What happens to those icons if I delete some of the tiers?

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

the reputation levels and pips are not tied to each other.

Comment