Maxing our RAM- what are we doing wrong?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Allthumbz
    • Oct 2011

Maxing our RAM- what are we doing wrong?

Please forgive me- this is a very serious problem, and I don't know whether to ask here or in hosting so I am asking both places hoping for some insights.

Our site has up to 300 users online at once. 2700 members. 140m database, 9G of files. We are running VB 1.12 patch one, and using several mods, including Evo Chat Box. We recently switched to dedicated hosting at HostAtom.net. The server has very good space, good bandwidth, but only 768 RAM. With everyone on at once, we spiked the server a few times and went down. We went up to 1024 but still spiked it. BTW the site is www.Hobby-Machinist.com

I took down the chat box and things calmed.

My question is this- should that many users at once max out the RAM?
    What kind of RAM do you guys use for comparable sites on VBulletin?
    Anyone else had this problem?

I also had to restrict Guest access to bring down the memory drain. This is no fun. I would like to find out if this is normal on dedicated hosting. 1024 costs $60 month for a small hobby site- is this usual?

Thanks,

Nelson
    Nelson
    www.Hobby-Machinist.com
  • GregUURL
    • May 2010
    • 4.0.x

What your describing sounds more like a vps than a dedicated server....What you need to find out is what cpu share is...
    Greg
    www.urljet.com

Comment

• Ace
      • Apr 2004
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by GregUURL
      What your describing sounds more like a vps than a dedicated server....What you need to find out is what cpu share is...
      Yeah. He's on a VPS.

He and the host had an entertaining exchange this morning.

Personally, I blame the chatbox.
      My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
      vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
        • Sep 2008

Closed, repeat of https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...and-freezes-it

Former vBulletin Support Staff
        Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
        Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...