Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve038
    • Mar 2011

[Forum] Help: I'm Logged Out Of My Forum

I had one of my members email me today saying they couldn't log into my forum. I logged myself out and logged in using their username and password. The first time I tried it, it wouldn't log in, and there was some message on the page which I can't recall now. I then logged back in using my own details, but was keen to see why my member couldn't log in, so I logged out and tried logging in with their details a second time and it worked. I then logged back out and went to log back in using my own details, but was told I'd used up 5 out of 5 attempts, and had to wait 15 minutes before I could try again. I waited 15 minutes, and tried, but got the following message:

Wrong username or password. You have used up your failed login quota! Please wait 15 minutes before trying again. Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Click here!

It wouldn't even let me attempt to log in. What should I do?
  • AusPhotography
    • Nov 2007

If you have access to the database SQL (cPanel?) TRUNCATE TABLE strikes; will reset the 15 minutes wait.

Also: In the 'do not upload' tools.php part of the vB software kit gives a back door.

Kym
    environment: Centos 6.9, Apache v2.4.25, PHP 5.6.30/xCache, MariaDB 10.22 -- vB5 Connect Licensed

AusPhotography - Australia's Premier Photographic Forum vB4.2.3
    Rick (site owner) and Kym (site tech) sharing this account

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Steve038
      I had one of my members email me today saying they couldn't log into my forum. I logged myself out and logged in using their username and password. The first time I tried it, it wouldn't log in, and there was some message on the page which I can't recall now. I then logged back in using my own details, but was keen to see why my member couldn't log in, so I logged out and tried logging in with their details a second time and it worked. I then logged back out and went to log back in using my own details, but was told I'd used up 5 out of 5 attempts, and had to wait 15 minutes before I could try again. I waited 15 minutes, and tried, but got the following message:

Wrong username or password. You have used up your failed login quota! Please wait 15 minutes before trying again. Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Click here!

It wouldn't even let me attempt to log in. What should I do?
      So in fact, you had not tried logging in 5 times within 15 minutes of each other?

The above query by ricktas posted will work (that's exactly it too btw nice job ) however it clears the entire table, you could further extend that and do the exact query for yourself only or while in phpmyadmin view the table strikes and clear your entry only with that being the preferred method if everything is functioning fine. If it's acting finicky then you should track down why as it could also frustrate new users who have the same issue as well i.e. no return visits. I have seen some finicky behavior from certain mods installed or conflicting mods so I would look there first and if your ever seemingly how to put it, permanently locked out try this method - https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...P-Forum-Access

Former vBulletin Support Staff
      Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
      Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• raaowdot
        • Mar 2007
        • 3.7.x

I've exactly the same problem. Everyone including myself are locked out due to too many attempts at login. I'm wondering if some bot has tried to hack its way in. If I can get it back working probably best to disable the Members List i suppose.

Comment

• Kenas
          • Feb 2011
          • 4.1.x

Me too exact same problem cant access cpanel

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Chances are, no one has hacked your site, but you're on a shared webhost who has load balancers and is not forwarding the users true ip like we expect.

Comment

• Kenas
              • Feb 2011
              • 4.1.x

my webhost is globalgold.co.uk

Comment

• raaowdot
                • Mar 2007
                • 3.7.x

Snap. GlobalGold. And as they're not responding to my support emails I expect they're busy trying to sort it.

Comment

• bart67
                  • Mar 2006

Same thing happened me and just off the phone to GlobalGold and they are looking into it .
                  http://www.randalstowncsc.net/

Comment

• bart67
                    • Mar 2006

GlobalGold has told me that they moved to a new server and from they have there has been some bugs on it .

They say all should be fixed by tonight . .
                    http://www.randalstowncsc.net/

Comment

• donald1234
                      • Oct 2011
                      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by bart67
                      GlobalGold has told me that they moved to a new server and from they have there has been some bugs on it .

They say all should be fixed by tonight . .
                      The link in your sig is not working at all right now. server not found message.

Comment

• g4lly
                        • Nov 2009
                        • 3.8.x

Met too. Global Gold Also

My users are having exactly the same issue APART from the whole site has been down for nearly a week prior to this problem. I phoned GlobalGold last friday to make them aware. Spent 20 mins on the phone to them and then they just left me to it and buggered off home for the weekend. When did GlobalGold support become so non-existant?

I tried emailing, phoning and using the online support system all weekend. Absolutely nothing until late sunday i got an email to say someone was looking at it.Tried again monday. Nothing monday. Phoned them many many many times tuesday, many many times wednesday and again today. Fobbed off constantly. WTF!!! I know I'm not payin a fortune for hosting but this is absolutely gash. I used them because they were recommended on here and to be fair when I set my forum up they were good.

Who can recommend a new host?

I've just pointed them at this thread after an email telling me everything was working (Guess what still the same problem)

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by g4lly
                          The best thing to do is go here and do some research - https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...osting-Options then make a well-informed decision for yourself on who to go with, Hosts are like the different car brands out... some love a Chevy, some a Ford and everyone has horror stories one way or another .

Former vBulletin Support Staff
                          Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
                          Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• Steve038
                            • Mar 2011

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I ended up just leaving it overnight, came back this morning and was able to log in again just fine. The first 5 times I tried to log in were all within a few minutes of each other, then when I couldn't get back in, I waited 20 minutes from the last time I'd tried, and the message I posted in my first post appeared, where I couldn't even attempt to log in. But leaving it for a longer period, in this case, overnight, has worked. Thanks again.

Comment

• g4lly
                              • Nov 2009
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by g4lly
                              My users are having exactly the same issue APART from the whole site has been down for nearly a week prior to this problem. I phoned GlobalGold last friday to make them aware. Spent 20 mins on the phone to them and then they just left me to it and buggered off home for the weekend. When did GlobalGold support become so non-existant?

I tried emailing, phoning and using the online support system all weekend. Absolutely nothing until late sunday i got an email to say someone was looking at it.Tried again monday. Nothing monday. Phoned them many many many times tuesday, many many times wednesday and again today. Fobbed off constantly. WTF!!! I know I'm not payin a fortune for hosting but this is absolutely gash. I used them because they were recommended on here and to be fair when I set my forum up they were good.

I've just pointed them at this thread after an email telling me everything was working (Guess what still the same problem)
                              After redirecting to a random website, it's now down again completely, without warning...
                              Emailed globalgold support several times but no reply.

Comment