Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LA-Aquarium
    • Jul 2011
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] Warning: Something's Not Right Here!

Hello, I am having a huge issue that has killed my website and caused my forum members not to return.. a malware detection keeps coming up.

We upgraded to the latest version of VB, pruned all users to make sure none were spammers/hackers. and this malware message keeps coming up.

"Warning: Something's Not Right Here!" page in red.

this is the site it says has malware on and that our site has content from it. 5tt5555.acmetoy.com (it's not only this url, but others too) this is just the latest one.

pleas help.. I have never had this kind of issue with any other forum software and I have been dealing with nothing but spam and malware with VBulletin when it's the only software I have paid to use I don't understand..

URL to screen shot image of the malware message from gogole safe browsing.

• Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

1) Run Suspect File Diagnostics under Maintenance -> Diagnostics. Replace any files not containing the expected contents. Delete any files that are not part of vBulletin and that you can't identify as belonging to your addons.

2) Check the config.php for any suspicious code. It isn't checked by the suspect file diagnostic.

3) Search all templates for iframe tags. They should only appear in the following templates: bbcode_video, editor-ie.css, member.css, stylegenerator.css, vbcms.css, vbulletin.css, help_bbcodes, humanverify_recaptcha, search_common, and search_common_select_type

4) Check all your plugins for rogue include, require, include_once, or require_once code. All files should come from your server and be known to you.

5) Check your plugins for any base64 code. I recommend using against using any plugins or products that include base64 code in them. However some "lite" or branded addons will include this as a means to prevent you from cheating the author. You'll have to make a personal call on these if you use them. This is often a sign of a hacked site.

6) Make sure that your plugins do not include calls to exec(), system(), or pass_thru() or iframes. These are also often signs of a hacked site.

Query for step 4 and 5 -
    SELECT title, phpcode, hookname, product FROM plugin WHERE phpcode LIKE '%base64%' OR phpcode LIKE '%exec%' OR phpcode LIKE '%system%' OR phpcode like '%pass_thru%' OR phpcode like '%iframe%';

7) Run this query: SELECT styleid, title, template FROM template WHERE template LIKE '%base64%' OR template LIKE '%exec%' OR template LIKE '%system%' OR template like '%pass_thru%' OR template like '%iframe%';

It checks the templates for compromising code.

8) Check .htaccess to make sure there are no redirects there.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mmavipc
      • Dec 2006
      • 3.5.x

The exact same thing happened to my forum today.
      None of the above steps revealed anything, it's not the yui connection js either.

Comment

• punchbowl
        • Nov 2006
        • 4.0.x

Originally posted by mmavipc

The exact same thing happened to my forum today.
        None of the above steps revealed anything, it's not the yui connection js either.
        if you get a warning on a specific page then search the page source for the domain name mentioned. chances are it's just a hotlinked image. Well that's what it's always been for my site.

Comment

• mmavipc
          • Dec 2006
          • 3.5.x

Nope, happens on all pages

Comment

• LA-Aquarium
            • Jul 2011
            • 4.1.x

Yeah, it happens on all pages. when I click on forum, threads or PM. can I give access to a support staff member to help me? I don't have much experience with this.

Comment

• TheNewOne
              • Aug 2011

link to your site will see if it comes up for me

Comment

• mmavipc
                • Dec 2006
                • 3.5.x

It comes up for everyone.

Comment

• mmavipc
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 3.5.x

This seems to be the same issue as https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/392637-Kokosina-in-Anyone-Else-Getting-This

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

Well the "Attack Page" warning that is shown at the in the first post comes from the Browser, not the webpage. It means the site has been reported as a attack page, not that it actually is an attack page or that it is compromised. Ask you Hosting Provider for a different IP address for your site. Does that clear up the issue?

Following the steps previously provided, I can't think of any way that someone could cause your site to be an exploit unless you're running software other than vBulletin, your DNS is compromised or the IP address is listed as the origins of an Attack Site. I receive no such warning when visiting LA-Aquarium's site though.

The other customer doesn't have accurate information on his customer account so his site cannot be looked at.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• TheNewOne
                      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by mmavipc
                      It comes up for everyone.
                      hard to say that as it does not come up for me as you still have not posted a link to your site

Comment

• LA-Aquarium
                        • Jul 2011
                        • 4.1.x

my website is www.laaquarium.com the message comes up once you enter or start browsing the forums.

So far today it has not came up. but it does this. It will go away for a day or two, then all of a sudden boom.. its ugly and has ruined my forum..

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by LA-Aquarium
                          my website is www.laaquarium.com the message comes up once you enter or start browsing the forums.
                          I don't get a warning in either Chrome or Firefox.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• beishe8
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by LA-Aquarium

So far today it has not came up. but it does this. It will go away for a day or two, then all of a sudden boom.. its ugly and has ruined my forum..
                            It is there as soon as I enter the forum.(Internet Explorer)

Is your Photo Gallery safe?

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• LA-Aquarium
                              • Jul 2011
                              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by beishe8
                              It is there as soon as I enter the forum.(Internet Explorer)

Is your Photo Gallery safe?
                              I would assume so, I don't see anything wrong with it. why do you ask?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...