Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeLLRZR
    • Feb 2011

[CMS] Virus or Maleware URL?

Several user are reporting that there anti-virus is reporting the following virus or malware when accessing our website, any ideas?

URL: http://kokosina.in/t/go.php?sid
    processus: file://C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet E...
    infection: al

When I access the website, my anti-virus doesn't report a problem, confused...

Thanks,
  • stevieg
    • Mar 2004

you have been hacked, my limited knowledge has found a couple .js scripts in the clientscripts directory which allow a hacker remote access to my webserver. renamed my home directory, downloaded latest version and unzipped to a new clean home directory, ran the upgrade script and restored my smilies and .gif's and all seems to be clean now.

not sure what vulnerability theiry using that allows them to drop the .js scripts but the ones i found were a connection.js and a yui.1.30.js or something to that effect

Starting to get really annoyed at getting hacked all the time, I've updated to the latest Vbulletin version 3 times in the last three months (always the most current) just to remove active hacks from my forum home directory

Steve

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

We don't know how to fix the issue or what the attack vector is at this time. I keep asking people to open a support ticket so we can investigate. Until someone does, we can't tell you how your forum was infected. Until then try these methods here to clear it:

1) Run Suspect File Diagnostics under Maintenance -> Diagnostics. Replace any files not containing the expected contents. Delete any files that are not part of vBulletin and that you can't identify as belonging to your addons.

2) Search all templates for iframe tags. They should only appear in the following templates: bbcode_video, editor-ie.css, member.css, stylegenerator.css, vbcms.css, vbulletin.css, help_bbcodes, humanverify_recaptcha, search_common, and search_common_select_type

3) Check all your plugins for rogue include, require, include_once, or require_once code. All files should come from your server and be known to you.

4) Check your plugins for any base64 code. I recommend using against using any plugins or products that include base64 code in them. However some "lite" or branded addons will include this as a means to prevent you from cheating the author. You'll have to make a personal call on these if you use them. This is often a sign of a hacked site.

5) Make sure that your plugins do not include calls to exec(), system(), or pass_thru() or iframes. These are also often signs of a hacked site.

Query for step 4 and 5 -
      SELECT title, phpcode, hookname, product FROM plugin WHERE phpcode LIKE '%base64%' OR phpcode LIKE '%exec%' OR phpcode LIKE '%system%' OR phpcode like '%pass_thru%' OR phpcode like '%iframe%';

6) Run this query:
      SELECT styleid, title, template FROM template WHERE template LIKE '%base64%' OR template LIKE '%exec%' OR template LIKE '%system%' OR template like '%pass_thru%' OR template like '%iframe%';
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by stevieg
        you have been hacked, my limited knowledge has found a couple .js scripts in the clientscripts directory which allow a hacker remote access to my webserver. renamed my home directory, downloaded latest version and unzipped to a new clean home directory, ran the upgrade script and restored my smilies and .gif's and all seems to be clean now.

not sure what vulnerability theiry using that allows them to drop the .js scripts but the ones i found were a connection.js and a yui.1.30.js or something to that effect

Starting to get really annoyed at getting hacked all the time, I've updated to the latest Vbulletin version 3 times in the last three months (always the most current) just to remove active hacks from my forum home directory

Steve
        Depends on which of your sites is being exploited. One is woefully out of date. For the other, load the YUI files off either Google's or Yahoo's servers. Settings -> Options -> Server Settings & Optimization Options -> Use Remote YUI. Though if you're on the latest version, there is probably another vector and they just use those files for their compromises.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• stevieg
          • Mar 2004

It was the dorikaze.net domain that got hit, the end result was an infection with privacy.exe malware.

I'm not sure how they're getting in yet or even how to make sure it's gone (temporarily or permanently) because I only get the message on one of 6 computers, all the others are not showing the symptom. I did notice that java was starting in the tray icon so they're definitely using java to push the malware attack

Not sure how they're dropping the initial .js code into the clientscripts directory in the first place tho

Comment

• Devil_Dog
            • Aug 2010

I've been hit as well. Will be sending a ticket.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Seems to be some sort of exploit that is writing to the connection-min.js file within the clientscript/yui/connection folder. vBulletin doesn't have any native functions that write to this directory.

You should replace this file and contact your hosting provider to see if you can CHMOD your files to 0644. If you can, you should update the permissions on all your .js, php, html and xml files to this permission setting. You can also set the system to load the YUI files from a Remote Server under Settings -> Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options.

You will also need to verify that you don't have any strange plugins that allow system access. This is covered in my list above under steps 4 and 5.

Also see: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...ms-More-Secure

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• IceFanatic
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by HeLLRZR
                Several user are reporting that there anti-virus is reporting the following virus or malware when accessing our website, any ideas?
                I am getting this exact attack right now.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                Seems to be some sort of exploit that is writing to the connection-min.js file within the clientscript/yui/connection folder. vBulletin doesn't have any native functions that write to this directory.

You should replace this file and contact your hosting provider to see if you can CHMOD your files to 0644. If you can, you should update the permissions on all your .js, php, html and xml files to this permission setting. You can also set the system to load the YUI files from a Remote Server under Settings -> Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options.

You will also need to verify that you don't have any strange plugins that allow system access. This is covered in my list above under steps 4 and 5.

Also see: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...ms-More-Secure
                Okay, I replaced that file and as far as I can tell, all my files are already at 644 CHMOD. I am no longer getting that attack from the forums themselves...but when I log into the admincp I still get it.

Comment

• Devil_Dog
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by IceFanatic
                  Okay, I replaced that file and as far as I can tell, all my files are already at 644 CHMOD. I am no longer getting that attack from the forums themselves...but when I log into the admincp I still get it.
                  Same problem. In the forums I'm fine but in admincp I'm still getting it.

Comment

• palmpedia
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 3.6.x

Same here - I used the suggested Remote YUI setting and it appears as if the warnings have ceased for users, but I see the connection to kokosina.in is still being attempted when I access the AdminCP --- Not a very comforting feeling.

Comment

• stevieg
                      • Mar 2004

Re-upload all the vbulletin files to your forum directory

Comment

• abqtj
                        • Nov 2008

I've been hit as well.

Someone accessed the control panel using the Administrator user name 6 times in Oct and 1 time in Nov, each time updating, uploading, etc different plug ins (that aren't there anymore...not sure where/why).

Oh, and the Administrator password has been changed
                        New Mexico Offroad

Comment

• oddmud
                          • Oct 2009

How do you know if you've been hit? And what hosts are you guys using?
                          Jason Craig – Partner
                          Wet Coast Sports LTD
                          Fishing Reviews TVBC Fishing ReportsFly Fish BCFly Tying Bug

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by abqtj
                            I've been hit as well.

Someone accessed the control panel using the Administrator user name 6 times in Oct and 1 time in Nov, each time updating, uploading, etc different plug ins (that aren't there anymore...not sure where/why).

Oh, and the Administrator password has been changed
                            Then you most likely have a backdoor installed somewhere. If the steps above don't point out the issue and let you solve it then you need to open your own thread or open a support ticket.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• abqtj
                              • Nov 2008

I opened a support ticket, mentioned the admin password part, and it wasn't addressed.
                              New Mexico Offroad

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...