CSS Style Sheet does not load all the time.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beansbaxter
    • May 2005
    • 3.8.x

CSS Style Sheet does not load all the time.

Every few days, my forum's CSS stylesheet will not load, so the forum loads up correctly however there is no style rules being followed since the style sheet is not loading.

I go to my Style Manager, click the "headinclude" template, make no changes, click Save, and then refresh the forum and it loads up correctly with the style sheet. Everything is fine...

Then a few days later, same thing happens. And I rinse and repeat the process.

What causes this? How can I fix this and make sure it stays fixed?

Running vBulletin 3.8.7 if it matters. Yes, I do have the option "Store CSS Stylesheets as Files?" set to yes.

Thanks in advance.
    PNW Moto
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

I've never heard of this happening. It's almost like the css file is getting deleted from the server and the only way to get it recreated is to save a template. When you have the problem, have you checked the style directory to see if it's still there?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• beansbaxter
      • May 2005
      • 3.8.x

It happened again this morning. I checked and the CSS files are there. The CSS files had 644 for permissions - I changed them to 777 and that did not fix it.

I went into vBulletin option and set "Store CSS Stylesheets as Files" to No and that did not fix it.

I opened the "headinclude" template, made no changes, clicked Save - and that fixed it.

Any other suggestions or things I can troubleshoot?
      PNW Moto

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

Get your styleid from the Style Manager. Go to the template table and find where styleid=XX (your styleid) and title=headinclude. Copy the fields template and template_un to a text file on your computer and save. Next time this happens, go to the template table and look up that row again. See if the field template has changed.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by beansbaxter
          Any other suggestions or things I can troubleshoot?
          Run a repair and optimize on your template table in the database.

Run a diskscan on the drive of the server to make sure there are no bad blocks in the disk area where MySQL tables are stored.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Simon Lloyd
            • Apr 2008
            • 3.7.x

Are you by any chance using the translation mod (vBET)? if so it may be issues with the caching!
            Kind regards,
            Simon
            Microsoft Office Discussion

Comment

• fishlore
              • Sep 2007

Sorry to drag up an old thread and I know this section is for v.3.8 but I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Running version 4.1.12. It seems to happen about once a week where the forum will just not load - I get a blank screen. I go into the templates and resave the headinclude template and all is fixed. I've tried all of the recommendations above and still have not been able to isolate the exact cause. It doesn't seem to happen at the same time either... was thinking it may be a cron job causing issues.
              http://www.fishlore.com

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

You could start your own thread instead of bumping one that isn't for the same version

Open a new thread with a link to your site, also do you use CSS as files or serve css from the files?

Comment

• fishlore
                  • Sep 2007

ok - thread started in the vb4 section: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...mes-don-t-load
                  http://www.fishlore.com

Comment