X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maurd
    • Jun 2011
    • 4.1.x

MediaWiki integration (for vB.com)

* Please note, this is a suggestion for the vBulletin corporate website, not the actual software.

There are a respectable number of people who complain about how the official vBulletin manual is lacking. Personally, I think it's OK, but will fully admit it has a lot more potential and even completely misses some technical items. It's also not the most user-friendly thing around in comparison to modern Documentation resources.

With that said, I'm proposing that vBulletin(.com) integrate MediaWiki or similar onto this website, in the same regard to how Jira works. This would allow existing licensed customers to share and document their knowledge of the vBulletin software, provide a more "user-friendly" documentation resource and enable a better and more accurate searching for specific functions and/or terms. Everybody has used Wikipedia at least once, this would create a familiar experience.

It could enable modification and style creators to create in-depth reviews on how the system works and what changes what and how x applies to y, etc - something that has been requested several times. It would be similar to vB.org's article section, but more efficient and practical.

This would not be a replacement for the classic Online Documentation, no, instead it would compliment it as a community-driven resource while the Online Documentation remains the "official" documentation.

I've been following Simple Machines for a while (since 2007 actually) and they have done this exact thing. They still have their official documentation, but also have community-driven documentation through the wiki. It works quite well and is fully integrated into their user database. Not to mention the potential to have incredibly rich documentation without having to pay a dime to the documenters.

Of course this has the potential for inaccurate or misleading information, however labeling it as a community driven resource and limiting editing to Licensed members and support staff, that potential is greatly reduced.

I know this won't happen, but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. (Maybe I'll be wrong)
    - Maurice Workin' in the Jira mine, goin' down, down, down
  • the1
    • Apr 2011

I support the idea

A lot of products on the web benefit from such community-driven approaches.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
      vBulletin Support
      • Aug 2002
      • 5.7.X

We're currently moving a lot of the manual into the CMS - Wayne and I have certainly been doing some work on this (Impex documentation is getting updated and transferred at the moment). We do have a community tutorials section within the CMS where we've promoted posts written in the forum to there and will continue to do so where some benefit exists to doing that.
      Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Arkham
        • Mar 2001
        • 4.1.x

Have you considered VaultWiki?

If you do a MediaWiki installation on vBulletin.com, it would be a great opportunity to work on a seamless, complete integration for MW. Please do it and include in 4.2.

Comment

• Maurd
          • Jun 2011
          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
          We do have a community tutorials section within the CMS where we've promoted posts written in the forum to there and will continue to do so where some benefit exists to doing that.
          Good stuff, wasn't aware of this. Though it does seem a bit inefficient, though I'm just picky. (better than nothing however!)

Cheers Trevor!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Maurd
            Good stuff, wasn't aware of this. Though it does seem a bit inefficient, though I'm just picky. (better than nothing however!)

Cheers Trevor!
            It makes more sense to use our own software and improve it to make it more efficient than to switch to another third-party product.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Maurd
              • Jun 2011
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              another third-party product
              What about Jira?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

What about Jira?
                Decision already made, not something I had any input on.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Maurd
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 4.1.x

Decision already made, not something I had any input on.
                  I know, I was just poking fun.

Like I said in the original post, I had no real expectation of it happening, I just wanted to share my input.

Side note: I love Jira.

Comment

• Alfa1
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
                    We're currently moving a lot of the manual into the CMS - Wayne and I have certainly been doing some work on this (Impex documentation is getting updated and transferred at the moment). We do have a community tutorials section within the CMS where we've promoted posts written in the forum to there and will continue to do so where some benefit exists to doing that.
                    Thats a positive change! Having a large number of articles in the CMS will expose performance issues.

How about adding a wiki feature to the CMS, so that ranking members can add information to it? Or alternatively give ranking members the permissions to create articles in the CMS.
                    I buy 420 forums

Comment

• AusPhotography
                      • Nov 2007

We use and like VaultWiki !!

A wiki would be a good thing for member contributions, the CMS is ok for vB official doco.

What we really need is good tech doco!!
                      environment: Centos 6.9, Apache v2.4.25, PHP 5.6.30/xCache, MariaDB 10.22 -- vB5 Connect Licensed

AusPhotography - Australia's Premier Photographic Forum vB4.2.3
                      Rick (site owner) and Kym (site tech) sharing this account

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Aug 2002
                        • 5.7.X

Originally posted by Alfa1
                        Thats a positive change! Having a large number of articles in the CMS will expose performance issues.

How about adding a wiki feature to the CMS, so that ranking members can add information to it? Or alternatively give ranking members the permissions to create articles in the CMS.
                        Do what others have done and write it up in a post - Support can then promote it to an article where we feel it's of benefit to everyone else.
                        Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Maurd
                          • Jun 2011
                          • 4.1.x

Trevor, for the record, is there any particular forum where potential articles/tutorials should be written up or is it mostly just a free-for-all? I noticed that in the Community Tutorial section they come from random areas.

BTW, that thread which was locked, in case it wasn't noticed, that was a spambot. Look at it's "Homepage", it was just looking for backlinks, which it's still getting since the thread was locked instead of removed.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            • Aug 2000

Trevor, for the record, is there any particular forum where potential articles/tutorials should be written up or is it mostly just a free-for-all? I noticed that in the Community Tutorial section they come from random areas.
                            The Quick Tips Submission forum would be a good place.

BTW, that thread which was locked, in case it wasn't noticed, that was a spambot. Look at it's "Homepage", it was just looking for backlinks, which it's still getting since the thread was locked instead of removed.
                            Links in Forum Profiles and Signatures are undervalued as backlinks by the search engines. They have little to no relevant value these days in ranking algorithms.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Maurd
                              • Jun 2011
                              • 4.1.x

The Quick Tips Submission forum would be a good place.
                              Good stuff.

I've had an switching-your-board-to-HTTPS thing I've been thinking of submitting.
                              Links in Forum Profiles and Signatures are undervalued as backlinks by the search engines. They have little to no relevant value these days in ranking algorithms.
                              Still makes it inviting to spammers if their threads don't get removed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...