• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • traprr
    • Dec 2010
    • 4.0.x

[Forum] Spell check quit working when i upgraded to 4.1.8

Hello,

So far I'm happy with 4.1.8. Except now my spell check quit working. When I go to the spell check icon the words spell check do appear. However, clicking on it goes nowhere. Can anyone please help? I need the spell check. Spelling is my downfall..................

Thanks
  • Paul M
    Former Lead Developer
    vB.Com & vB.Org
    • Sep 2004

There is no spell check in vBulletin - is this a modification, or are you referring to some browser spell check system ?
    Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Falcon Capt
      • May 2006
      • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Paul M
      There is no spell check in vBulletin - is this a modification, or are you referring to some browser spell check system ?
      What is the "ABC check" button for then?

Comment

• Maurd
        • Jun 2011
        • 4.1.x

Do you use Internet Explorer? If so, are you talking about ieSpell?

What was the version you were using prior to 4.1.8? Might be related to this: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-12915
        - Maurice Workin' in the Jira mine, goin' down, down, down

Comment

• Welshy
          • Jan 2008
          • 3.6.x

Happy New Year Guys.

Traprr, What was the solution of this, for you? Did you get it sorted?
          www.Talk.ElectricianForum.co.uk - The UKs Leading and Most respected Electricians Forum.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Welshy
            Happy New Year Guys.

Traprr, What was the solution of this, for you? Did you get it sorted?
            If you follow the bug link above, there is a comment that it will work in 4.1.10 as long as ActiveX is allowed on the page. The actual bug is marked out of scope though.

The IEspell button is calling the ispell object in the accepted manner. The same manner that vB3 called the action. In general, if you get no response, or get prompted to download when you've already downloaded, the issue is with the browser/ispell. You can reinstall iespell and you can modify the browsers ActiveX settings.
            There is nothing that can be changed with the iespell call on the vBulletin side. You can also try right clicking in the editor and trying the iespell option that appears there.
            Works on latest 4.1.10 as expected. I have the permission to execute the ActiveX at the end of the browser when I click on the spell button.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• SarasotaRepub
              • May 2011
              • 4.1.x

Works on latest 4.1.10 as expected. I have the permission to execute the ActiveX at the end of the browser when I click on the spell button.

Though this may be obvious to some...what EXACTLY does this mean? What do I have to change to get the spell button to work? Am I changing a vB option or are we talking Windows option??? Thx.

Comment

• JustAskJulie
                • Nov 2002
                • 3.6.x

I just upgraded to 4.1.12 from 3.x recently and I'm running into this too. I, personally, prefer Firefox but I have users that use IE and have been asking about the disappearance of the spell check option. It appears the button is there on IE and is tied to iespell, however after installing it (I went through this and found the same) the button doesn't seem to do anything? Before iespell is installed when you try to use the button it pops up a message that you need iespell, but after it's installed it just does nothing. I'm good with the idea that the spellcheck is tied into the browser and that it can be used via right click (or the browser toolbar) but what's the point of the button if it doesn't do anything?
                Julie

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by JustAskJulie
                  I just upgraded to 4.1.12 from 3.x recently and I'm running into this too. I, personally, prefer Firefox but I have users that use IE and have been asking about the disappearance of the spell check option. It appears the button is there on IE and is tied to iespell, however after installing it (I went through this and found the same) the button doesn't seem to do anything? Before iespell is installed when you try to use the button it pops up a message that you need iespell, but after it's installed it just does nothing. I'm good with the idea that the spellcheck is tied into the browser and that it can be used via right click (or the browser toolbar) but what's the point of the button if it doesn't do anything?
                  Do you have ActiveX enabled in Internet Explorer? This is required for ieSpell to work properly since it is very out of date software and hasn't been updated for newer versions of the browser.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Riasat
                    • Aug 2006

While this is not a direct solution, you can let your members know about this: http://www.speckie.com/home/

It works during type and is generally better than ieSpell.

Comment

• JustAskJulie
                      • Nov 2002
                      • 3.6.x

Yes, I do have ActiveX filtering turned off
                      Julie

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        • Aug 2000

Yes, I do have ActiveX filtering turned off
                        ieSpell requires that ActiveX is turned on.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• JustAskJulie
                          • Nov 2002
                          • 3.6.x

When I searched for how to turn on ActiveX in IE9 it came back with disable ActiveX Filtering (it's disabled) is there something else I'm missing?
                          Julie

Comment

• Riasat
                            • Aug 2006

When I searched for how to turn on ActiveX in IE9 it came back with disable ActiveX Filtering (it's disabled) is there something else I'm missing?
                            No.

However, I do not have IE9 to test right now (using IE10; it has built in spell checker). When I did use IE9, ieSpell did work just fine but I switched to Speckie as it was better.

The only thing that might be causing problem is protected mode and/or some IE security setting. Without first hand testing, it is really hard to determine.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...