"New Posts" page cached. How can I stop the caching?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JamesUK
    • Jul 2004
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] "New Posts" page cached. How can I stop the caching?

Hi,
    since we upgraded to V4 (now running 4.1.7) our 'New Posts' function appears to be repeating the same cached request.
    A typical message on a New Posts page will say something like "Search took 0.13 seconds; generated 34 minute(s) ago."
    I did a search and found references to Queued Search Updates causing this behaviour, but Queue Search Updates is set to 'No' on our server

Any ideas?
    regards,
    James
  • JamesUK
    • Jul 2004
    • 4.2.X

Been doing some more digging and I hadn't realised that "Search Result Sharing" was turned on
    However, I've turned it off now and it's made no difference whatsoever

Interestingly, I don't get any cached results when logged in with my own admin user, but it seems that all other users do. Is it possible that this is a per usergroup setting?

Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received,
    thanks,
    James

Comment

• JamesUK
      • Jul 2004
      • 4.2.X

I'm going to bump this as we are STILL having issues.

We have a very busy forum and the 'new posts' button being cached for 1hr is simply unacceptable. Several members navigate the forum by repeatedly using the button to check for new replies to threads. This we believe is key.

searching the code and google we found this section of code in /vb/search/results.php:

public static function clean()
      {
      global $vbulletin;
      //searches expire after one hour
      $vbulletin->db->query_write("
      DELETE FROM " . TABLE_PREFIX . "searchlog
      WHERE dateline < " . (TIMENOW - 3600) . "
      ");
      }

We changed this by removing the time modifier and even tried removing the entire where clause.. but this either did nothing or caused users to get 'no posts found ' error. So I believe there is something somewhere else telling it 'when to expect the 1hr cache' and/or and if statement saying whether to run it again if a cache entry not found...

Please can anyone point us in the right direction?

The forum in question: http://www.driftworks.com/forum/

Thanks

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Are you hiting f5 on that page? If so that sounds normal, if you hit n ew posts or What's New again the content will be new.

Also, are you doing any content cacheing though expires headers?

Comment

• punchbowl
          • Nov 2006
          • 4.0.x

What do you have as 'Thread/Forum Read Marking Type' in General Settings? Make sure it's "Database (automatic forum marking)"

Comment