X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vexxy
    • Aug 2007

[Forum] vBulletin Suite is getting very slow afer a while

Hello guys,

I've got the wierdest problem yet. My vBulletin Suite is hosted on a dedicated server, with 2 x quad cpu's, 12gb ram, 10k scsi hdd etc..so a pretty good rig. The server is also very well optimized, mysql and apache and the vBulletin Suite is cached via xcache + xcache datastore. The forum is almost instant, since it has low traffic (under 1k UV's per day) and every page I access loads in max 1-2 secs. The problem is, after a while after I browse the forum or cms, the page load time increases alot...let's say I press Homepage, it loads in 8-10 seconds. First, I thought there is a problem with the server, but if I close the browser (Firefox 7) and re-open it...the site loads fast again. I said ok, it's the browser, I tried Chrome but with no success, after 10-15 mins, the site is responding very slowly. Then I decided to empty the cache for each browser (only cookies and cache) and once I did that, the site loaded instantly again. Now, I don't know if the same problem applies to my visitors and the problem itself is very wierd. I don't know what to do and why it's behaving like this. Is there a way I can set the vBulletin to clean its cookies/cache from browsers at a set time? What can I do..I'm desperate

Thank you in advance for any advice/tips.
    SWTOR Forums | Software Forums
  • vexxy
    • Aug 2007

anybody? it's really annoying

Comment

• vexxy
      • Aug 2007

a last bump..maybe someone has an idee why is this happening

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
        • Jul 2008

Whatever it is it sounds like a local/browsr issue to me. There's nothing that would need to be reset or cleaned on the VB side.

Comment

• vexxy
          • Aug 2007

i've asked more users to test it and it seems 60-70% of them have this issue, I'm guessing the rest aren't browsing enough or it's a event that triggers this suck visiting your mailbox. I say that because I've just did that earlier and it got frozen for 5 seconds, loaded..then all the site loaded slower (with lag). This is what I do for 1 week, configurimg the server, testing, tweaking VB etc with no success, I'm almost on the virge of deletion, it's getting to me. Anyway, one more thing, if let's say i'm in Chrome and that lag stuff triggers, I immiediately browse with Firefox, the site and everything works perfect...and that's telling me it's not a server issue. I don't know what to do really anymore

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Empty your cache. Either in the Admin CP or by emptying the contents of the cache and cacheevent tables.

This will be updated with better management in 4.1.8.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• vexxy
              • Aug 2007

Fortunately, I have the plugin made at cron_script_cleanup_hourly

Code:
              require_once(DIR . '/includes/class_bootstrap_framework.php'); 
              vB_Bootstrap_Framework::init();
              vB_Cache::instance()->clean(true);
              but it doesn't help my problem

Comment

• setishock
                • Jun 2005
                • 4.2.x

I set my Use Remote YUI to Google and the speed difference is amazing. Page loads got real snappy.

Comment

• vexxy
                  • Aug 2007

I have set it to Google for a long time now, still no fix but ya, overall difference vs Yahoo is ok

Comment

• vexxy
                    • Aug 2007

I think the single last issue is to reinstall vBulletin. And when I say reinstall, I mean delete everything and copying it all fresh. But I don't know if this will really help, but I'm desperate

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by vexxy
                      I think the single last issue is to reinstall vBulletin. And when I say reinstall, I mean delete everything and copying it all fresh. But I don't know if this will really help, but I'm desperate
                      Starting with an empty database would certainly ease your problems but you would lose all your information as well. Not sure a re-install is the answer. If you mean simply replacing the files, I don't see how that would provide performance increases.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• vexxy
                        • Aug 2007

ya I know it's a hassle to start from 0 and then import the db etc but I don't know what else can I do. is there a script that I can install and see where'the bottleneck from?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by vexxy
                          ya I know it's a hassle to start from 0 and then import the db etc but I don't know what else can I do. is there a script that I can install and see where'the bottleneck from?
                          We don't support importing the database into a new install. Chances are this will simply create more problems for you as well as change every single link in your system so that nothing works from old links. Not even old user logins will work and everyone will have to re-login, possibly corrupting their cookies. It will do absolutely nothing to improve performance on your site either.

Run vBulletin in debug mode. This will tell you if there are issues with uncached templates, query issues, etc...

Use YSlow on your site. It has some recommodations. It says to add things like expire headers for your static content, stop resizing images in HTML (use vBulletin's thumbnails instead or resize your images before uploading), use gzip compression more, etc...

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• vexxy
                            • Aug 2007

I've used YSlow and vbulletin's thumbnails are broken in 4.1.7 as you already know, it's gonna be fixed in 4.1.8. Expiring headers are in place, gzip compression (mod_deflate), everything. I'm a webmaster for some years now and know those things by heart. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your suggestions, but unfortunately, this doesn't solve my problems. The site is loading VERY fast for a random period of time, it can be 5 mins..it can be half an hour..until the lag bug appears. If I open any other browser, when the current one has the lag, it works perfectly. So this is a perfect sign that something/somehow, clogs the browser and makes the site un-responsive since if I switch to other browser, the site is very fast as always. The server loads are under 1% and the site doesn' have much traffic. This is the only logical conclusion I could draw, because if I clean the browser cache/cookies or close it an restart it or chosing another browser, everything is fast again. Other users are reporting this also..I don't get it..and I'm at the edge of despair. my only hope is 4.1.8 which will come out soon and I pray to God that something from 4.1.8 will fix whatever I have wrong..if not, I'll start looking for alternatives..I did everything I could, the only thing left is a fresh reinstall. I know that you guys find my these words as a whining sound, but trust me, I did everything I could possibly do, asked opinions even on PHP forums, vb.org, here..etc...anyway, I wanna thank everybody that tried to help me.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

Hmmm... When I ran YSlow on your site, I was just listing what it reported as needing improvement.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...