• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drakeman
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.8.x

DB Collation problem

Hello,
    my VB database collation is in utf8_general_ci but some tables are in latin2_czech_ci
    I want to convert them to utf8_general_ci.. how to do it without any chars problems?

I tryied to use PSPAD and notepad ++ for coversion.. I have replaced aslo latin2_czech_ci to utf8_general_ci and... i'm going to upload it to DB... is there any easier way how to do it?

Thanks
    Xyngular - Health and Global Business Opportunity for Better Life
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

You will need to use phpMyAdmin and make sure that all tables and fields within them have the same collation. Make sure your database collations are appropriate and consistent throughout the entire database. You need to use program like phpmyadmin to view your collations:

When you click your database name in phpmyadmin it will list all tables, their collations, as well as the collation of the database itself at the bottom. And when you click the name of a table on the left it will list the collations of individual fields within that table.

1) To edit the collation of the database itself you need to click the database name on the left and then click "Operations" on the top.

2) To edit the collation of an individual table you need to click its name on the left and then click "Operations" on the top.

3) To edit the collation of an individual field within a table you need to click the table name on the left and then click the edit image (a little pencil icon) for that field.

For more information please see: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ight=collation

Note: It is very very very important to make full database backups before proceeding if you are ever manually making any changes to your database, let it be issuing queries, or editing it via phpMyAdmin or any other interface. If done incorrectly, manually modifying the database can potentially cause irreversible damage to your database, and there is no way to perform a "partial restore" to restore just the part you may break.
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• drakeman
      • Dec 2005
      • 3.8.x

This is already done. Collation for all tables is utf8_general_ci except vb_prhase table. Here I have got this error:
      ALTER TABLE `vb_phrase` CHANGE `varname` `varname` VARCHAR( 250 ) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci NOT NULL

MySQL said:
      #1062 - Duplicate entry 'common.langDirLtr--1-ckeditor' for key 2
      My board have 3 languages, but before this action I leave just one.

Another issue:
      All tables and data should be in UTF-8 (general_ci) - according to phpmyadmin and exported file as well. BUT
      Charset of my language is iso-8859-2 and in the config.php i'm using latin2 as charset. I think... that content on the site should be unreadable due to different languages... So how can my data should be converted correctly?

Thanks
      Xyngular - Health and Global Business Opportunity for Better Life

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...