X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • g00gl3r
    • Sep 2004
    • 3.5.x

[Forum] More CKEditor Problems - No BR in posts

Members are reporting that (along with just generally hating the new ckeditor) in some posts they can't add linebreaks (or paragraphs). Seems to do it on phones and computers. I can't replicate the problem but am seeing a whole bunch of posts containing the problem.

When it happens it seems to take out the linebreak and the space so the sentences.start.and.finish.like.this.

Any clues anybody?

Something I should open a support ticket for perhaps?
  • Andy
    • Jan 2002
    • 4.1.x

How many of your members have this problem?

Comment

• g00gl3r
      • Sep 2004
      • 3.5.x

About half a dozen that have reported it. I'm trying to replicate it but can't. One says it's only on iphone. Though another it's doing it to his PM's when he's using his computer. I'm finding a bunch of posts in threads with the issue and it's annoying.

It appears to not be parsing the <br><br> code. I have the odd PM with the BR's written in text and there's no new paragraph.

Weird hey?

I'll celebrate the day VB releases a version with hundreds of bug fixes but with no actual new bugs haha.

Comment

• Andy
        • Jan 2002
        • 4.1.x

The ones using a computer, ask which browser they are using. If any are using IE6 they will need to upgrade their browser.

Do you allow members to use the Standard Editor? It might solve some problems turning off the WYSIWYG editor, it's worth a try.

Comment

• g00gl3r
          • Sep 2004
          • 3.5.x

Sort of pointless having such a good editor if we can't use it aint it?

I'll go have a play with the editor settings then.

Comment

• Andy
            • Jan 2002
            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by g00gl3r
            Sort of pointless having such a good editor if we can't use it aint it?

I'll go have a play with the editor settings then.
            Not at all pointless. Remember only six of your members are being effected, so forcing these six members to use the Standard Editor until a fix is found is a very good temporary solution.

Comment

• g00gl3r
              • Sep 2004
              • 3.5.x

Yeah it's easy to say that but I bet you £5 there will be new different problems with 4.1.5 even though they *may* fix the editor issue(s).

I remember the day when a VB update fixed problems. Seems to just create them these days and I don't want to run old vulnerable versions so it's a bit of a catch-22 I suppose.

Comment

• Andy
                • Jan 2002
                • 4.1.x

Yeah it's easy to say that but I bet you £5 there will be new different problems with 4.1.5 even though they *may* fix the editor issue(s).

I remember the day when a VB update fixed problems. Seems to just create them these days and I don't want to run old vulnerable versions so it's a bit of a catch-22 I suppose.
                Just remember that nothing in this world is without flaws. Always look at the good in things. Complaining about the way things are is IMHO is futile and not very healthy.

Comment

• g00gl3r
                  • Sep 2004
                  • 3.5.x

I agree haha

Though most things I pay for work as they're intended, that's all. And this is a support forum after all so you're going to see umpteen people peeved off for one reason or another, usually something related to their forum not working well. So I guess it's a bit expected.

Comment

• Andy
                    • Jan 2002
                    • 4.1.x

I agree haha

Though most things I pay for work as they're intended, that's all. And this is a support forum after all so you're going to see umpteen people peeved off for one reason or another, usually something related to their forum not working well. So I guess it's a bit expected.
                    Yes nothing wrong with reporting problems and asking questions as long as it's done in a respectful way. I find that by being kind and asking in a polite way issues are quickly resolved.

Comment

• g00gl3r
                      • Sep 2004
                      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Andy
                      The support from vBulletin staff is exceptional. Did you know that 95% of all forums are basically stock with some very minor style changes, so most don't have any problems. Those that heavily modify and throw lots of products in are the ones that typically have problems.
                      Hmmmm. I think 70% of the time I've had help on here it's been another member with the same problem helped me, and they too were just as disgruntled at the time they had the issue.

I think the lack of support from VB (that is unless you run a raw forum - never seen one of them except VB.com) causes the negativity in most of the threads by the looks of it.

That all aside; for those actually interested in the problem I have, it appears to be just new threads and PM's effected using the mobile style or normal forum styles on an iphone. So it's a core problem and not a design-related issue by the looks of it. And it appears to happen to all users, so not just a few.
                      Last edited by g00gl3r; Mon 27 Jun '11, 10:24am.

Comment

• Andy
                        • Jan 2002
                        • 4.1.x

I think the lack of support from VB (that is unless you run a raw forum - never seen one of them except VB.com) causes the negativity in most of the threads by the looks of it.
                        The support from vBulletin staff is exceptional. Did you know that 95% of all forums are basically stock with some very minor style changes, so most don't have any problems. Those that heavily modify and throw lots of products in are the ones that typically have problems.

Comment

• nakedanvil
                          • Mar 2010

Most likely caused by a mod. You might as well go through the drill, you know that's what the staff will tell you.

Comment

• g00gl3r
                            • Sep 2004
                            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Andy

Are you touting for a job or something? I've never had support from VB because I have VBSEO installed and can't disable that on a live forum.

Whilst I understand that unsupported mods can often cause issues, especailly when you upgrade VB and the mod hasn't been ported to work with the newer version or whatever.

But let's be honest here, this is a VB fookup and not a mod. We all know it but they still wouldn't touch the forum. I bet you £1,000,000 that I can replicate the problem on my test forum that's stock. But VB still wont be able to help as it's a bug in the core system. They'll then want me to do their job and submit a tracker, which I never do, don't see why we should need to, and then it might (but probably not) get fixed in a version sometime later down the line.

If you're not helping with the thread stop trolling. Go submit your CV to VB if you're after a job you don't need to tout in threads.

Comment

• g00gl3r
                              • Sep 2004
                              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by nakedanvil
                              Most likely caused by a mod. You might as well go through the drill, you know that's what the staff will tell you.
                              Nah it's not a mod mate. 100% certain. 16 forums of mine have the issue. My 1 test forum will have the issue if I upgrade it to 4.1.4 but I just can't be arsed to be frank. VB won't be able to fix it for me and me only because it's clearly a bug in the system. We've had to swap a JS file for one other related to the 4.1.4 so they know it's an issue and have said it'll be sorted in 4.1.5. But I bet you 100% 4.1.5 will have some different problems.

I've not known a fully operational version of VB since 3. It's a real shame they ballsed this up from the offset. They should have just changed VB in the office, tested it, added all the features, then released it but they wanted a round of investment and then their investors step in and tell them to start charging for 4 even though most the features haven't been added and of the ones they add, they rush, and break.

It's a shame really. Used to be a good company and the best forum software. Not any more IMO.

All my new forums use IPB and although they use CKEditor, they actually have it working. And they test a lot before releasing which is nice.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...