Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GuitarsCanada
    • Jan 2006

Android App Permission Requests

I do not profess to be any kind of expert on app developing or any kind of programming. Basically I just download the things and use them, I dont know how they work. I also dont use Android devices so not much use there either. Here is the question...

Had one of my forum members post up that he enjoyed the Android app but asked why there were so many permissions requested. He says that all these permissions are a "rookie" app developers signature and that they are really not required for such an app.

So I am just asking the questions here. I have the iPhone app and I dont recall it asking for any permissions.

Here is a shot of what the app is asking for

android.permission.CAMERA
    android.permission.INTERNET
    android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
    android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE
    android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION
    android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Edit: Those looks like normal permissions to me when installing the App or almost any other app.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• GuitarsCanada
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      Edit: Those looks like normal permissions to me when installing the App or almost any other app.
      Appreciate the response, I would not know one way or the other myself

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

When you install Adndroid apps, you have the option of seeing which permissions the app uses. iPhone Apps don't do anything like that.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• GuitarsCanada
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          When you install Adndroid apps, you have the option of seeing which permissions the app uses. iPhone Apps don't do anything like that.
          OK, well that explains why I never seen anything when I downloaded the iPhone app

Comment

• GHST
            • Dec 2006
            • 4.1.x

If they are concerned about the location one, that is due to the ability to use mobile ads. The permission is in there for that reason

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...