Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danswano
    • Jan 2009

VB4 Password Hash Encryption

Hello, i'm using a script on my phpbb2 forum to read users/passwords from external location to login to that script and i want now to switch to vbulletin but i want to know before i buy vbulletin if my script will be able to read the vb4 password encryption, what is the hashing method exactly so i can test it on my script before buying, i saw many threads here talking about md5 and salt but couldn't figure out exactly what is the real method, can you point me out?

Thank you
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

We don't encrypt passwords, we hash them. its something like md5 (md5(password)salt).

Comment

• danswano
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Zachery
      We don't encrypt passwords, we hash them. its something like md5 (md5(password)salt).
      Yes i meant hashing sorry, are you sure it's md5 (md5(password)salt) ? i want to make a test.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

vBulletin.org would be the better place to ask, once you purchase the license you would have access to the files and the schema to test it. You really cannot test it without having access to a test password hashed and the users salt.

Comment

• danswano
          • Jan 2009

So you can't tell me about the exact hashing method?

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
            • Sep 2001

The hashing method is pretty much as Zachery stated it however the salt is unique per user id.
            Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• danswano
              • Jan 2009

Thanks for the reply.
              Although the salt is unique per user id will i be able to read the password hash from my external script or it's impossible?

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

If you can query the database, you can do it.

Comment

• danswano
                  • Jan 2009

The script is using mysqltcl to access the database
                  set check_pass [md5 $get_pass]

set find_it [::mysql::connect -host $reqs::sett::db_host -port $reqs::sett::db_port -user $reqs::sett::db_username -password $reqs::sett::db_password -db $reqs::sett::db_name];
                  set it_find [::mysql::sel $find_it "SELECT $reqs::sett::db_user,$reqs::sett::db_pass FROM $reqs::sett::db_table WHERE $reqs::sett::db_user = '$check_nick' AND $reqs::sett::db_pass = '$check_pass'" -flatlist];
                  ::mysql::endquery $find_it
                  ::mysql::close $find_it
                  a friend of mine generated some vbulletin hashed password and gave me the .sql file for testing but till now i couldn't read the hashed password from my script

what should i replace md5 here set check_pass [md5 $get_pass] to be able to read the vbulletin hashed password? i hope you can help me because i desperately need to move into vbulletin.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    Former Customer Support Manager
                    • Jul 2000

You cannot read hashed passwords.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• danswano
                      • Jan 2009

but normal md5 hash works for me why salted md5 won't?

Comment

• feldon23
                        • Nov 2001
                        • 3.7.x

You can't "read" a vBulletin password. You can only compare it to see that it is identical to the one provided by the user by session or cookie.

Your best bet is to store the hashed password in your non-vBulletin script and just make sure everything matches by doing the same md5/salt/etc. gymnastics that vBulletin does. If the user isn't logged in, I'd just redirect them to the vBulletin login (there isn't an actual login screen for vBulletin, an annoying oversight, but you can point to a page that guests do not have access to).

Comment

• danswano
                          • Jan 2009

The script writer is not supporting the code anymore and i'm not that pro in coding also the script is not accessible from a web page, it's a tcl scripts in IRC server allows you to login to IRC and grant privileges in the IRC server using the forum password but passwords in vbulletin are different, i can't figure out how i can let the script compare the password field and salt together, the scripts is pretty short and simple but i can't recode, if i paste it here can you take a look at it and see if you can help me writing the right sequence to let the script compare the password to the user input?

Thanks

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            Former Customer Support Manager
                            • Jul 2000

This is no longer a Pre-sales question. We cannot help with a custom script, and particularly anything that is designed to work on vB passwords.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• danswano
                              • Jan 2009

i can't switch to vbulletin if this script didn't work for me or i will be stuck with a useless software but i wish to switch.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...