Logo Link for CMS instead of Forum - vbulletin 4.1.2 (and other basic changes)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulnicholson
    • Mar 2010

[CMS] Logo Link for CMS instead of Forum - vbulletin 4.1.2 (and other basic changes)

I just upgraded from 4.0.8 to 4.1.2 and lost all my changes.

Please help me with some simple ones:

1. How do I change the logo link so that it goes to the CMS home page instead of the forum home page? (all the other answers I've seen are now obselete due to programming changes for 4.1.2)

ACP>Styles and Templates>Style Manager>Site Name / URL / Contact details is confusing. Forum URL / Use Forum URL as base path / Forum Component URL / Home ?????!!!!!!!!!!
    Surely my home URL is all that's required. And when people type my website, I want it to finish in 'dot com' - not a file name ending in 'dot php'. It looks messy.

If I set my Forum URL to www.example.com/forum.php, the logo links to www.example.com/forum.php/forum.php. If I then set my Home URL to www.example.com, the entire website does not parse - it is text only. I'm seriously lost, but I'm sure the answer lies in editing the Stylevars header code. By the way, are backups made of the previous codes so I can reverse my changes (extremely vital)?

2. What is the difference between a blog and a user-locked thread? Are blogs necessary or will they just convolute the site?

3. Are vbulletin staff slack with words or are they precise? It will change all my planning depending on the answer. For example, when they say the word 'forum' do they mean 'website'? Vbulletin is 50% CMS now, but maybe old vocabulary habits die hard. I urgently need to know.

Thanks,

Paul
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

1. Have you tried editing the link in the header template from <a name="top" href="{vb:link forumhome}" class="logo-image"> to your CMS URL.

2. A Blog is a little more than a thread. Some people say they water down their site, some say they enhance their site. It's entirely dependent on your customer base and their habits.

3. Don't know what you're asking here. In what way will it affect your planning?
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• paulnicholson
      • Mar 2010

Spent an hour responding but vbulletin brought up an error screen to do with logging in on a previous screen or some crap. So I lost everything. Here it is again in angry mode:

1. Yes, please give advice on changes needed - no mods yet so you wont need to ask any questions.
      2. I still don't know what a blog is, but that's interesting.
      3. If a software company uses ambiguities in manuals, forms and support, then all their users will smash their computers in frustration. It's like a bad council who provides street signs for side streets but not main roads. Before I get into a nightmarish year ripping my hair out, I'd rather know how incompetent vbulletin is so that I can decide whether or not its worth my time asking questions on these forums or simply paying someone thousands of dollars after I've saved up. I don't think my children can sue companies that shorten my life span by five years from stress, so companies just shrug off frustrations their customers experience with an evil laugh.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
        vBulletin Support
        • Aug 2002
        • 5.7.X

1. In the header template, change this:

Code:
        <a name="top" href="{vb:link forumhome}" class="logo-image">
        to this:

Code:
        <a name="top" href="{vb:raw vboptions.homeurl}" class="logo-image">
        3. I still don't know what you want me to answer here. If there's something specifically you're not sure on, please feel free to ask here or, if you have a technical issue, you have access to our Ticket Support system with your license.
        Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

"Forum URL" means the forum URL. There's no ambiguity there. You can point it at the CMS URL if you like, or the Fox News website if it suits you, but for the purposes of the documentation it refers to the forum.

Not sure what's ambiguous about that.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Meestor_X
            • Apr 2006
            • 3.8.x

Is there a "vb:link" parameter other than forumhome that is the name of the root web site. vboptions.homeurl is a different site. I could hard-code the url in there, but since "forumhome" seems to be a built-in variable is there one for the CMS like cmshome or something?
            -Andy.
            http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
            http://www.mindplacesupport.com

Comment

• WriteToEnlight
              • Dec 2009

"

Current way to do something like this in Vbulletin 4.2.5 without style edits.. through something like some sort of button type option at the moment?

?

"

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

Nothing has changed regarding how to do this. vBulletin 4 is also no longer under development, so no further changes to the product will be made, vBulletin 5 is the current product for development purposes.

If you still need assistance, pleasse start a new thread with full details of the issue.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------
                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...