How to remove "forums" in the links with "Friendly URLs with mod_rewrite" active

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yin9
    • Mar 2007

[Forum] How to remove "forums" in the links with "Friendly URLs with mod_rewrite" active

Hi all.

How do i to remove "forums" in the links with "Friendly URLs with Mod Rewrite" active?

I use this .htaccess:

RewriteEngine on
    # If you are having problems or are using VirtualDocumentRoot, uncomment this line and set it to your vBulletin directory.
    # RewriteBase /forum/
    # If you are having problems with the rewrite from content/ to content.php, uncomment this line to turn MultiViews off.
    # Options -MultiViews
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -s [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -l [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^.*$ - [NC,L]
    # Forum
    RewriteRule ^threads/.* showthread.php [QSA]
    RewriteRule ^forums/.* forumdisplay.php [QSA]
    RewriteRule ^members/.* member.php [QSA]
    RewriteRule ^blogs/.* blog.php [QSA]
    RewriteRule ^entries/.* entry.php [QSA]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -s [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -l [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^.*$ - [NC,L]
    # MVC
    RewriteRule ^(?.*?)(?:/|$))(.*|$)$ $1.php?r=$2 [QSA]
    I have installed the forum on "forums" directory, when i go to one forum o subforum, the link looks like this: www.xxxxx.com/forums/forums/forumtitle

So i like this view: www.xxxxx.com/forums/forumtitle

How i can do it?

Sorry for my poor English.

Greetings.
    Last edited by yin9; Mon 20 Dec '10, 12:52am.
  • Expert1
    • Aug 2010
    • 4.0.x

Well , I had this same problem with my urls. Finally i managed to remove the word "forums" from my url by choosing the advanced friendly urls in AdminCP options -> settings -> Friendly URLs .

Now my link has the word forumdisplay.php instead of forums , i think this is much better than forums

Comment

• Breakpoint
      • Sep 2006

Can someone please help with this?

Comment

• Breakpoint
        • Sep 2006

I read this on another forum since this forum isn't too helpful, I haven't tested but looks like it could work

Some people want the /forums/ to point to the forumindex page and /blogs/ to point to blog.php the following rewrite rules will take care of this. These should be added to the .htaccess file (don't overwrite any existing rules, these are new ones)

Code:
        RewriteRule ^forums/(index.php)?$ forum.php?%{QUERY_STRING} RewriteRule ^blogs/(index.php)?$ blog.php?%{QUERY_STRING}
        Finally do a search of your templates + phrases for occurrences of forum.php and blog.php and change them to forums/index.php and blogs/index.php (or forums/ and blogs/) respectively.

Comment

• SimonVlc
          • Jun 2005

Hi all,

I have the same problem than the first poster. Is there any way to remove forums|threads words from the friendly urls system?

Kind regards, Simon.

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
            • May 2002
            • 1.1.x

No, there is not.

Comment

• slinky
              • Mar 2001
              • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Matthew Gordon
              No, there is not.
              Matthew - I'm installing a new forum with the new friendly URLs. Does that mean that all forums must have the word "forums" in the URL, e.g. myforums.com/forums/11-forum-name and the like for posts?
              My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

• Dustin L.
                • Mar 2011
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by slinky
                Matthew - I'm installing a new forum with the new friendly URLs. Does that mean that all forums must have the word "forums" in the URL, e.g. myforums.com/forums/11-forum-name and the like for posts?
                Yes unless you use .htaccess to remove it from the URL.

Best,

Dustin
                http://quikmsg.net/strtoupper/ - Convert lowercase text and code to all uppercase!
                http://quikmsg.net/strtolower/ - Convert uppercase text and code to all lowercase!

Comment

• slinky
                  • Mar 2001
                  • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Dustin L.
                  Yes unless you use .htaccess to remove it from the URL.
                  I edited the .htaccess file but apparently there is more to it than just doing that. I get a "not found" message.

I did a number of things that I'm having problems with because of the internal management -

I have the forum in a root directory.

1) Getting rid of forums.php entirely from the URL
                  2) Making sure there are also no URLs being generated with forums.php (or you have 2 links to the same page)
                  3) Getting rid of the "forums/" in the friendly urls for both viewing forums and in threads.
                  4) Changing the word "threads" to something else

Comment

• Dustin L.
                    • Mar 2011
                    • 4.2.X

Try going to Settings -> Options -> Friendly URLs -> and setting URL Type to Mod Rewrite Friendly URLs

Dustin
                    http://quikmsg.net/strtoupper/ - Convert lowercase text and code to all uppercase!
                    http://quikmsg.net/strtolower/ - Convert uppercase text and code to all lowercase!

Comment

• slinky
                      • Mar 2001
                      • 1.1.x

Try going to Settings -> Options -> Friendly URLs -> and setting URL Type to Mod Rewrite Friendly URLs

Dustin
                      Dustin... that's where the problem began.

So I have it set up that way but no matter what I do the word "forums" is always in the URL. I look at the .htaccess and removing the forums entry doesn't help me since the forums are always being generated in the URL. Even if I set the URL for the forum as the root address, I still am getting that in the URL and the home contains forums.php in the URL generated in the navigation. I removed the item in the navigation solely to use a / and that worked once - but now it's back to using the forums.php.

Comment

• Dustin L.
                        • Mar 2011
                        • 4.2.X

You must've edited this quickly after posting it because I didn't see it. :P Sorry about that.

I am no expert at Mod Rewrite, so maybe you'd get better help at vB.org.

Sorry :/

Best,

Dustin

Comment

• slinky
                          • Mar 2001
                          • 1.1.x

The manual shows the threads as mysite.com/threads/thread-name but i want to change it to the letter "t" or change the articles to the letter "a" and the like. I also don't want the word "forums" in the URL but don't see any way to accomplish this.

- - - Updated - - -

You must've edited this quickly after posting it because I didn't see it. :P Sorry about that.

I am no expert at Mod Rewrite, so maybe you'd get better help at vB.org.
                          I appreciate it. I'm just surprised that this is the way it comes out of the box.

- - - Updated - - -

The answer is - the only way is to hack the core. I just did it successfully and wrote up a tutorial for myself that I'll need to do with every upgrade. Disappointing that since 2009 this hasn't been modified but it is what it is. Thanks for trying to help - I really do appreciate it.
                          Last edited by slinky; Sat 21 Jul '12, 6:35am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...