X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jenniferd
    • Dec 2010
    • 4.1.x

[vB4] Where does favicon image live?

Does anyone know where this image lives and how to change it?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

That is the favicon.ico file in your forum directory. Just replace that image. Note that browsers love to cache those images, so you might not see the new image in your browser if you have already bookmarked it.

favicon.ico files are supposed to be 16 x 16 or 32 x 32 pixels, 16 colors or 256 colors, gif or bmp format with an "ico" extension instead of "gif" or "bmp". The most compatible format is said to be 16 x 16, 16 colors.

Sometimes you also have to edit this template to get it working:

Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Style Manager -> Common Templates (in the menu) -> headinclude

Add this to the very bottom:

Code:

<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/favicon.ico">

Change the URL appropriately. That should get the favicon image working for you.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• jenniferd
      • Dec 2010
      • 4.1.x

I wasn't able to get this working. I tried adding this to the bottom of the headinclude <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/favicon.ico"> with the appropriate image name and still nothing. Do you know why this might be?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

That is all the info I have. Favicons are tricky and they work with some browsers but not others. In the end, this is a browser issue, not a vB one.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• jenniferd
          • Dec 2010
          • 4.1.x

Thank you I got it working eventually. I appreciate the help.

Comment

• eJM
            • Sep 2004
            • 3.8.x

Favorites Icons belong in the domain root, not in any sub-folder of the domain. That is the accepted standard. Your FavIcon link should also match the document type of your website. If you are using XHTML 1.0 Transitional, as vBulletin.com's forum software does, then the link should appear like this:
            Code:
            <link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.thefloorpro.com/favicon.ico" />
            There are no caps and it is closed properly with />, including a space before the closing slash. This code should appear anywhere between the <head> and </head> tags, on a line of its own. The URL should be the full URL to your own domain root and the favicon.ico file.

Also note that the favicon file should be in .ico format. Just renaming a BMP or GIF file does not make it an ICO file. You can use an image editing/processing program to convert an image to ICO format. IrfanView is a free program that can do this. You can also find a number of websites that will convert an image to a FavIcon - one is here: Dynamic Drive FavIcon Converter

Most modern browsers will look in the domain root for the favicon.ico file (by the way, that is the name it should have), even without the link code. The link code is an extra measure of assurance though, and a good coding practice.

R'gards,

Jim
            If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
            www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
              • Oct 2010
              • 4.1.x

Favicon troubles

I have followed the info found on the forum and have uploaded a new favicon to the server.
              I have added the code to the headinclude template.

I then went into IE8 Tools/interner options and deleted all tmp files etc.

Yet somehow my forum browsed with IE8 is still showing the vb default favicon.

With Chrome it is OK.

How is IE8 holding an image that is not on the server when I have deleted all browsing history etc.

Very weird....................
              Regards
              Trevor

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
                • Oct 2010
                • 4.1.x

I notice on the site you suggested the code is
                Code:
                [LIST=1][*]<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="/favicon.ico">[/LIST]
                Should I use that instead of your code???
                Regards
                Trevor

Comment

• eJM
                  • Sep 2004
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Trevor Matthews
                  I notice on the site you suggested the code is
                  Code:
                  <link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="/favicon.ico">
                  Should I use that instead of your code???
                  Originally posted by eJM
                  The URL should be the full URL to your own domain root and the favicon.ico file.
                  I stand by the statement I made previously. Although the browser you use will likely find the favicon file if you use relative code instead of the full URL, I still prefer using full URLs. I make it a habit because my URL uses keywords too. And there is a possibility someone using an older browser, or one that doesn't see the relativity you do (some websites can be found both with and without the www, which is not good, and some can even be found as a folder off the main domain on your server space - as in enterprisejm.net/tfpcom or tfpcom.enterprisejm.net - which also isn't good, but that's another subject).

Bottom line: your choice. But give IE more time. Perhaps a day or 3. Just one of its peculiarities.
                  If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
                  www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• jenniferd
                    • Dec 2010
                    • 4.1.x

What images folder does the favicon icon live in?

Comment

• Project-Buckfast
                      • Jul 2006

It's in the root directory.
                      UniteTheCows - File Sharing & Digital Media Resource

Comment

• eJM
                        • Sep 2004
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Project-Buckfast
                        It's in the root directory.
                        Exactly. That is where the <link /> points to. It does not point to an image folder, in points to the root of the domain - the favicon.ico file located in the root of the domain.

Oh and by the way, the <link /> code should be XHTML Transitional valid, just like the forum script. That means to close the element properly with /> (including the space before the slash), not > (no space or slash).

Jim
                        www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
                          • Oct 2010
                          • 4.1.x

Thanks for that.. I notice a few days later that the vb standard favicon has gone and has been replaced by the IE standard one.
                          So halfway there, just have to see if the new one appears soon.
                          Regards
                          Trevor

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...