X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpaceChronology
    • Dec 2010

Will it work on GoDaddy?

Hello,

I'm in the process of creating my first website and have decided to add a forum. The word on the street is that vbulletin is the best there is and I don't see a significant difference with other forums in terms of the cost. So why not?

As I was reading the requirements, I stumbled upon unfamiliar terms:
    • PHP version 5.2.0 or greater
    • MySQL version 4.1.0 or greater

Well, I don't know what they are but I did check on my godaddy.com account for my hosting capabilities and it says the following:

PHP Version: PHP 5.x
    MySQL: 0 of 10 Set up MSSQL: 0 of 1 Set up

I am assuming that the fact that it says "0 of 1" and let's me "Set it up" means that I'm good to go on the MySQL requirement. However, I am a bit concerned with PHP 5.x, I don't know what X stands for, but it appears to be below 5.2.0. or greater which is required by vbulletin.

Will I be able to install vbulletin?

While I'm here, I'll also ask: will I be able to install it, considering that I'm not a programmer in any way? I'm not an idiot, I figured out html and css to write my first website in notepad++, but still, if it will take me a couple of months just to figure out the installation process, it may not be worth it, lol. It's just that I hear some people complaining that "yeah, it's not a problem, if you're a programmer!"

Looking forward to hearing from anyone
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

You have to ask GoDaddy if they have the required versions of not. We can't tell from that. Also GoDaddy hosting can work with vBulletin but only if you make sure they put you on a Linux server. Their Windows servers are not set up correctly for PHP and MySQL.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• fengzi
      • Dec 2010

It seems that many people are with their hosting.

Comment

• SpaceChronology
        • Dec 2010

I see. Now that I'm looking into it, I'm beginning to see that, perhaps, I didn't choose the right hosting provider.

Comment

• ENF
          • Apr 2002

Originally posted by SpaceChronology
          I see. Now that I'm looking into it, I'm beginning to see that, perhaps, I didn't choose the right hosting provider.
          GoDaddy has had repeated security lapses resulting in customers having their websites defaced. They are probably OK for small sites but really, I would find a better host.
          To be updated...

Comment

• napy8gen
            • Jul 2001
            • 6.X

Originally posted by ENF
            GoDaddy has had repeated security lapses resulting in customers having their websites defaced. They are probably OK for small sites but really, I would find a better host.
            I agree.

Last time I hosted with GoDaddy, then I got malware attack, then I switch to hostgator. now its okay.

for the main question, yes you can install with godaddy. but the database server name= localhost for the mysql in the config.pho you have to put Godaddy value for the host, because they use different name for localhost.
            Get Our vbulletin 6 themes

Comment

• SpaceChronology
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by napy8gen
              I agree.

Last time I hosted with GoDaddy, then I got malware attack, then I switch to hostgator. now its okay.

for the main question, yes you can install with godaddy. but the database server name= localhost for the mysql in the config.pho you have to put Godaddy value for the host, because they use different name for localhost.
              I guess I'll stick with godaddy until I encounter a first problem. Is hostgator the optimal choice?

Thanks for the heads up on what to change to make it work.

Comment

• General Lee
                • Aug 2009
                • 3.7.x

I've been with Godaddy for over two years. Running the vps with 2gigs of ram. Over the two years our site has been down maybe 3 times. Some performance issues here and there but overall godaddy really does have good support.
                Ball Python Forum l Cottonmouth Snake l Reptile Husbandry

Comment

• fluidswork
                  • Jan 2010

I will still say go with hostgator as its more reliable and there support is awesome .... but godaddy with vb is a FAIL ....

Comment

• deatheyes
                    • Aug 2005
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by General Lee
                    I've been with Godaddy for over two years. Running the vps with 2gigs of ram. Over the two years our site has been down maybe 3 times. Some performance issues here and there but overall godaddy really does have good support.
                    With a VPS you can optimizing by your self
                    Optimize your website
                    Cool Wallpaper
                    All Android Rom

Comment

• ryan1918
                      • Jun 2010

I'd stay away from godaddy, they screwed alot of people over on a lot of things.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...