• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glennybee
    • Feb 2008
    • 3.7.x

Upgrade from php5.2 to php5.3 - problems

Hi folks,

I've upgraded from php5.2 to php5.3, is there anything within vbulletin that I need to do as I'm getting forums/includes/init.php errors?

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/username/public_html/forums/includes/init.php on line 55

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/username/public_html/forums/includes/init.php on line 107

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/username/public_html/forums/includes/init.php on line 111

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/username/public_html/forums/includes/init.php on line 119

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/username/public_html/forums/includes/init.php on line 130

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/username/public_html/forums/includes/init.php on line 134

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/username/public_html/forums/includes/init.php on line 142

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/username/public_html/forums/includes/init.php on line 211

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/username/public_html/forums/includes/init.php on line 389

I was getting the host to add fastcgi module in apache and they upgraded php too.

Thanks!
    Last edited by glennybee; Sat 11 Dec '10, 8:56am.
  • glennybee
    • Feb 2008
    • 3.7.x

Forgot to mention, running v3.8.6.

So I guess I need to go back to php 5.2.x to resolve this then. Something to do with '&' and passing an object, or something like that.

:Grrrrrrr:

Hate it when things go wrong!

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

Yes, you'll have to downgrade PHP.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• steven s
        • Jul 2004
        • 3.8.x

This is how I fixed this thanks to the fix on vbadvanced.
        Backup first.

In all files that begin with blog

FIND
        error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE);
        AND REPLACE WITH
        error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~8192);
        ...steven
        www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
        bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
        "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• haythamghareeb
          • Apr 2006
          • 3.5.x

Hi, didn't want to open another thread for the same issue. My host upgraded to 5.3 PHP and I am getting the same messages as the 1st post. They said I am on a shared hosting plan so they can't downgrade. I am running 3.8.6. Can anyone help me with a solution please? If I upgrade to 3.8.7 or latest version of 4, will the problem go away?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

You will need to upgrade to vB4.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• HenrikHansen
              • Jul 2004
              • 3.8.x

Why, I have heard all the time that 3.8 can run on php 5.3? As said here:
              Europanet.dk

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

If you are getting the same error as in post #1, then the answer is no for your version of PHP.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• HenrikHansen
                  • Jul 2004
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  If you are getting the same error as in post #1, then the answer is no for your version of PHP.
                  OK, thanks, I have no problems right now, but I have different hosts, some running 5.3, so I also need to know.
                  There must be a list somewhere which versions of vb can be run by the different versions of PHP.
                  Europanet.dk

Comment

• Sworm1
                    • Feb 2008

But why this? A big number of host go to upgrade to 5.3 of php ..... all 3.8 users will be out....

Comment

• haythamghareeb
                      • Apr 2006
                      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      You will need to upgrade to vB4.
                      So this is the solution for sure? I don't want to upgrade and still get this problem. I don't really like V. 4 that much. But if that's the sure solution, I am forced to upgrade.

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

3.8.7 should have fixes in place to help address this IIRC.

Comment

• haythamghareeb
                          • Apr 2006
                          • 3.5.x

So are you saying I should just upgrade to 3.8.7? If that'll work, it'd be great. I hate to lose my style and modification if I up grade to 4.

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

Best bet is to try to upgrade to vB 3.8.7, see if it doesnt help.

Comment

• haythamghareeb
                              • Apr 2006
                              • 3.5.x

I still have hope that someone with coding experience can help me before I do something I'd regret. Please read the lines in which there are errors and see what they have in common. Maybe we can find a solution.

includes/init.php on line 55

$vbulletin =& new vB_Registry();

includes/init.php on line 107

$db =& new vB_Database_Explain($vbulletin);

includes/init.php on line 111

$db =& new vB_Database($vbulletin)

includes/init.php on line 119

$db =& new vB_Database_Slave($vbulletin)

includes/init.php on line 130

$db =& new vB_Database_MySQLi_Explain($vbulletin)

includes/init.php on line 134

$db =& new vB_Database_MySQLi($vbulletin)

includes/init.php on line 142

$db =& new vB_Database_Slave_MySQLi($vbulletin)

includes/init.php on line 211

$vbulletin->datastore =& new $datastore_class($vbulletin, $db)

includes/init.php on line 389

$vbulletin->session =& new vB_Session($vbulletin, $sessionhash, $vbulletin->GPC[COOKIE_PREFIX .

'userid'], $vbulletin->GPC[COOKIE_PREFIX . 'password'], $styleid, $languageid)

includes/class_core.php on line 2552

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at

[path]/includes/init.php:55) in [path]/arcade.php on line 97

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at

[path]/includes/init.php:55) in [path]/arcade.php on line 2675

[path]/includes/init.php:55) in [path]/arcade.php on line 2676

[path]/includes/init.php:55) in [path]/arcade.php on line 2677

[path]/includes/init.php:55) in [path]/arcade.php on line 2678
                              ==========================================

Can it be fixed through this:

I hope someone can help. It's 4 AM where I am at and I can't sleep. Thank you.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...