X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deimos
    • Oct 2002
    • 3.8.x

Any plans for a VB4 to VB4 importer?

It's been over? a year since VB4 came out and there's still no update, or progress report on whether a VB4 to VB4 module will be added to impex.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Please add this as a 'New Feature' request here:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Deimos
      • Oct 2002
      • 3.8.x

So, unless someone specifically adds it to Jira, it doesn't get started?
      Doh, I was under the impression new importers were made when new products came out.

Comment

• Deimos
        • Oct 2002
        • 3.8.x

If anyone wants to vote for it, please use this URL - http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/IMPX-377

Comment

• Da_Vinci
          • Mar 2010

I've voted for it aswell. To be honest it makes sense to have a VB4 to VB4 importer I'm trying to merge two VB4 forums

Any ideas as I've just bought a VB4 forum off somebody with the intention of merging it with my own VB4 forum and now find myself stuck.
          Last edited by Da_Vinci; Mon 6 Dec '10, 4:05pm.

Comment

• Da_Vinci
            • Mar 2010

Right think I might have sussed this.

Upload Impex, input your DB details into the ImpExConfig.php once Impex is fully uploaded go to your ACP and don't select the VB3.7 option, use the one that goes up to VB3.5 and import into VB4 system.

Next run Impex as normal.

Once all the data is imported, go and update all your counters.

I'm not 100% this is going to work, but so far so good, I'll let you know how I get on, at the minute I'm just importing one of the forums into a clean VB4 forum for testing purposes, but all being well I'll drop all the DB Tables and import the 2 forums into one.

The forum I'm testing the import with is the smaller of the 2 but still has 9138 members, 33,815 Threads and 59,781 posts.

So the process is a long and slow one, once it's fully set up I'll just let my fellow staff members run over the forum, to make sure everything is working as it should, then go for the biggy and merge the 2 forums into one clean board, which I will remodify from scratch.

Hope this works and hopefully helps some others who are wishing to do something similar.

I also noticed there is no option in Impex to import VB3.6 & VB3.8 forums along with the obvious VB4.X.

I think IB / VB have got a long long way to go, in fixing and updating certain areas, which makes me wonder why there are so many new features being added to VB4 when some of the existing features of VB4 / VB3 are not functioning as they should. It seems obvious that IB are gearing up to releasing VB5 early next year, which seems pretty unfair as VB4 still isn't performing as promised in the pre sales period.

Anyway, I've gone off topic slightly here, but I felt it best to express my feelings as a customer who now owns 3 VBulletin licences.

Comment

• Deimos
              • Oct 2002
              • 3.8.x

The importer only "semi" works
              If you choose to associate users based on email, it seemingly assigns random users to the wrong posts, so you have to turn that off
              Also, attachments won't convert, as the database structure changed in 4.X, so that'll need looking at.

Comment

• Da_Vinci
                • Mar 2010

Ah I did have a problem with the attachments after I made this post, there are no users I need to associate, or not that I know of anyway, so that's not really a problem for me.

I was going to move my attachments into a file system rather than store them in the database, but I've yet to have another attempt at it.

If I manage to get everything imported over, I'll post my findings, but by the sound of it the attachments may be a stumbling block, unless I can figure out how to merge the correct tables on the databases.

Comment

• CK
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2010

Keep us posted, this is interesting.

Comment

• Realystic
                    • Feb 2003

have a client that needs vb4.0.x to vb4.1.x import, and with 4.1.x being gold why isn't there a 4.x impex yet? My client needs this asap, otherwise they will swtch to another platform completely.
                    Robert - Music is my caffeine!

Comment

• Loco.M
                      • Mar 2005
                      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Deimos
                      If anyone wants to vote for it, please use this URL - http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/IMPX-377
                      voted
                      this should be DEFAULT...
                      -- Web Developer for hire
                      ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• Da_Vinci
                        • Mar 2010

Does anybody know how to manually merge the attachment tables?

I tried going into phpadmin, downloading all the attachment tables, then tried merging them into the new database also via phpadmin, but as with most things, something that seems straight forward never is, I also updated all the counters and repaired and optimised all the tables, but still no joy.

Comment

• Realystic
                          • Feb 2003

I've lost one client because of this, this really isn't acceptable, this feature should be part of vbulletin 4, aka vbulletin 4 to vb4 merge, or moving one database from one to the other. As well as 3.8.x to 4.1.x. I have another client that desperately needs this and the other client dropped the vbulletin platform completely. If you can do it for 100s of other platforms to vb4, it should be simple enough to do it vbulletin it's self.
                          Robert - Music is my caffeine!

Comment

• Loco.M
                            • Mar 2005
                            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by PixelFX
                            I've lost one client because of this, this really isn't acceptable, this feature should be part of vbulletin 4, aka vbulletin 4 to vb4 merge, or moving one database from one to the other. As well as 3.8.x to 4.1.x. I have another client that desperately needs this and the other client dropped the vbulletin platform completely. If you can do it for 100s of other platforms to vb4, it should be simple enough to do it vbulletin it's self.
                            it's annoying isn't it
                            I've had a number of clients go to the competitions because this simple process which should be a default option, is severally missing.
                            -- Web Developer for hire
                            ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• rjordan
                              • Sep 2004
                              • 3.6.x

This has been asked for in the past many times and vB staff has always come back and said that it will not be made available for reasons that it would be used as a way to "upgrade" a forum from one version to another. I have asked for this for the same reasons as here in the past -- to merge two 4.x sites. I am still sitting on a forum that I purchased the database (not the forum software) to merge into my own that is of the 4.x variety from months back.

Good luck with getting this added (no sarcasm intended).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...