X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Josephu
    • Oct 2010
    • 4.0.x

plug in + hack?

Hey Im new and I know nothing, my computer expertise is comparible to the high degree of technicality as that of the popular 90's software titled the "printshop" nonetheless, Ive accomplished many things in life and now I find myself on this vB adventure and even though I know nothing, I will still dive in headfirst and learn as I go and ultimately succeed. The problem I have is being such a green newbie, many times my questions will come off as stupid or having an obvious answer, and it can be very frustrating having zero knowledge of any form of computer programming or coding, I havent yet learned all the beginning basics of how this all works, I dont understand what php is or mysql, and Im a long way from understanding. So a little help in guiding my baby steps is appreciated.

Ive been putting alot of hours in my amincp, wow! theres alot of stuff there, I never imagined the depth of all this (my only other experience of any kind with any type of website is from yahoo store!) I truly have a new appreciation for forum owners. Ive purchased and upgraded to the latest release of vb, I want my terms of use and privacy policy (And soon my shopping cart ((thats a future question!))) into the navbar, and possibly deleting the whats new tab and maybe blogs tab, basically I want to do some navbar changing, obviously I know nothing about any of this, and posted a question about how to do this the other day, A member referred me to vbulletin.org (love it, great info!) and I found a "mod?" to do this, they are calling it a hack? is a hack a plug in? do I begin my install of a "hack" in the plug in manager, I dont know how to upload anything to my root directory or anything like that, I dont even know what a root directory is. Could someone please clarify this? Do I download that mod and then somehow "installl? it in my vB?
  • melbo
    • Apr 2005
    • 3.8.x

Most mods=hacks.

Over the past 5 years with vB, I have done very little in the way of 'plugins', while still modifying my board.

Usually, the mod you want to install will have installation instructions in the thread, in the files, or within the posts of the mod's thread itself.
    Not all mods are compatible with your latest version, need to read up before you install.
    Some require code changes to the templates in vB, (Under Style Manager in ACP)

Many just require that you upload a set of directories and/or files to your vb root folder (the folder you have your vBulletin files installed) ie / or /forum
    Usually the last step (or only step at times) is to import the xml file included in your zip download from vb.org. To upload this file, you go into Plugins and Products > Manage Products and select 'add / import product' at the very bottom of the list.

Most of the common mods you'll want to experiment with are products.

That's it. I try to stay with mods that are listed as 'supported'

Have fun!
    Last edited by melbo; Thu 4 Nov '10, 8:24pm.

Comment

• Josephu
      • Oct 2010
      • 4.0.x

ok thanks, forgive me but Im going to copy and paste:

questions:
      1."Upload all files in the UPLOAD folder to the root of the forum" Where is this folder? in my (cPANEL)? (admincp)?
      2."Import the product 'product-evbs_sstab_advanced.xml'" import this how you told me (Plugins and Products > Manage Products and select 'add / import product' ) after I upload the mod folder to the root of my forum?
      3."Configure and manage your tabs in the "Tabs vbSoporte" menu in AdminCP" Now I should have a "tab manager" in my admincp?
      4. When I download this mod will I get the latest version? it seems there are a lot of versions (some having to do with calendars and whatnot I dont understand why this mod would have anything to do with calendars.

thank you for being patient
      "

The Hack only use 1 SQL sentence to create All the Menu, no Template edition

This Hack allows you to create tabs at the bar of vBulletin 4.0

Installation:

- Upload all files in the UPLOAD folder to the root of the forum
      - Import the product 'product-evbs_sstab_advanced.xml'
      - Configure and manage your tabs in the "Tabs vbSoporte" menu in AdminCP
      - Do not forget to "Allow Overwrite" if you are Updating to 2.0

20-01-10: ver 1.0
      • Create Tabs in vBulletin 4
      23-01-10: ver 2.0
      • Create/Manager Tabs Drop Down
      • Create/Manager Sublinks for Tabs
      • Option to Disable FORUM, HOME, BLOG, WHAT'S NEW Defaults vBulletin Tabs and not delete their sublinks menu
      • Phrases in native English and all phrases are in variables
      • Code with new algorithm for better performance
      • Spanish Language (sstab_advanced_spanish.xml)
      23-01-10: ver 2.0.1
      • Fix some bugs
      • Work with vBadvanced CMPS Menu
      23-01-10: ver 2.0.2
      • Fix menu Tab mix problem
      • Define some Rules:
        1. If TABS is a menu -> No process Sublink
        2. If MENU TAB no have Item -> No Process
      27-01-10: ver 2.0.3
      • Change Title Size from 20 to 50 characters
      • Fix Error when not have Tabs
      • Add 2 phrases that I forgot to include in the last version
      • Fix Groups Permission when is a TAB MENU or TAB with SUBLINK
      • Add MultiScript
      • Option to TABMODE (THIS_SCRIPT, URL,URL_PARAMETER) Please, READ POST #2
      • membergroup with a list and checkbox (option to SET Colums in Config)
      12-May-10: ver 2.0.4 (Compatible with vB 4.0.3)
      • Fix What's News
      • Add Option to ser Imagen to tabs
      • Credits in footer can be disable from Option Panel
      • Fix Calendar problem
      • Fix Option to URL_PARAMETER
      About URL_PARAMETER
      To use this Option only Write the Part that Always repeat, por example for this URLs:
      1. http://x.com/showthread.php?1-Nuevo (Main thread)
      2. http://x.com/showthread.php?1-Nuevo&p=13#post13 (Post in thread)
      3. http://x.com/showthread.php?1-Nuevo/page2 (One page of thread)
      You Only Set:
      1. Tab Label = Any Name
      2. URL = http://x.com/showthread.php?1-Nuevo (or only http://x.com/showthread.php?1- that have the ID of thread)
      3. Tab mode: URL_PARAMETER

Special Thank to

vB Style Taught me about new the CSS system and help me using CSS standards
      dieKetzer Betatester and Translator to native English Language

Observation:
      • This Hack is FULL AUTO-TEMPLATE but need the default NAVBAR template to work
      • This Hack have copyright ad at the bottom of the page (if you use this

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

If you need specific help with an addon or have questions, please contact the author.

Comment

• Josephu
          • Oct 2010
          • 4.0.x

Thank you zachery I definetely will, I appreciate all you do. questions although specifically pertaining to this addon, are not specifically only related to this addon, My questions would be the same for any add on.

questions:
          1."Upload all files in the UPLOAD folder to the root of the forum" Where is this folder? in my (cPANEL)? (admincp)?
          2."Import the product 'product-evbs_sstab_advanced.xml'" import this how you told me (Plugins and Products > Manage Products and select 'add / import product' ) after I upload the mod folder to the root of my forum?
          3."Configure and manage your tabs in the "Tabs vbSoporte" menu in AdminCP" Now I should have a "tab manager" in my admincp?
          4. When I download this mod will I get the latest version? it seems there are a lot of versions (some having to do with calendars and whatnot I dont understand why this mod would have anything to do with calendars.

cross addon question definitions:
          1. If Im looking at a mod and it says to upload to the root of my forum, where is this, in my admincp or my hosting cPANEL?
          2. If Im looking at a mod and it says I have to import, does this mean after I upload it to my forum root? or does this take place of uploading to forum root?
          3. If Im looking at a mod and I somehow am actually able to install it, will I have ez access to it, like in admincp?
          4. if Im looking at a mod... ok well question 4 should just be asked to the author!

Thanks zachery!

Comment

• melbo
            • Apr 2005
            • 3.8.x

I forgot to mention that vB.com is for vB stock questions, vB.org is for mod questions...

When you upload files, you would want to use an FTP client like the free Filezilla. This also requires you to have the FTP username and password to your server. host can provide this for you.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...