CSV import (text file system) - extending beyond username, email, password?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • codegrunt
    • Jun 2010

CSV import (text file system) - extending beyond username, email, password?

Howdy. The Impex manual is very light on details about the text importer and unfortunately the vBulletin crew have not seen fit to change the default word length so it appears I cannot search for "csv" in this forum. So on that note, if my questions have already been answered please point me to the correct spot and I apologize in advance for the extra noise. . .

I have a client that wants to import an existing CSV based user list which includes much more detail than what the default Impex text importer allows. Specifically, it includes custom profile field related data, address data, etc. while the default text importer only offers the 4 fields username, password, email and id.

Looking at the files associated with the text importer (000.php - 0002.php), this system does not actually work with full CSV files as it does not appear to have the concept of quoted strings or escaping. There are no calls to fgetcsv() for example. So contrary to some postings in this forum, CSV format is not fully supported by this importer (this should be in the documentation).

My questions are:

1. is there a more fully fleshed out CSV based script(s) available for importing user data from CSV?

2. if not, are there any guides available covering how to approach a custom impex "system" file? Can I just copy "impex/systems/txt_file" to a new directory name and start editing or do I need to update all class definitions to have unique names, etc.?

3. bonus question: do any of the board associated import scripts have a more fleshed out user import (including profile fields) that could be adapted for use with a custom CSV importer?

Any and all assistance here appreciated.

Cheers
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

The text importer was only ever designed to deal with the basic user information as far as I'm aware.

Any fleshing out of it to handle additional fields etc would need to be built specifically for your needs so you would need to post over in the appropriate forum at www.vbulletin.org for this.
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...