X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anthonym16
    • Feb 2009
    • 3.6.x

[Forum] What's New shows posts from practice forum

When I click the What's New? button, the listing has posts from my practice forum. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening? I have the settings of the practice forum such that it is not being indexed by the search. If I try to search for a specific thread in the practice forum, it's not found by the search so that part is working.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

Being indexed by search has nothing to do with whether it shows up in the What's New or New Posts link, it only has to do with whether you can search in that forum specifically. To exclude forums in the What's New/New Posts button, you may add "&exclude=xx" or "&exclude=xx,yy,zz" (separate the forumids by commas) to the end of the search.php url in the navbar template for that particular search.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• anthonym16
      • Feb 2009
      • 3.6.x

Thanks Lynne, that solved my issues with What's New.

Is there a way to prevent specific forums from showing up in the search engine archive?

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

You may prevent posts in some forums from showing up in any search results (other than getnew type searches) but going to Forum Manager > edit forum > Index New Posts in Search Engine. If you just now set that to no and you want previous posts to not show up (notice how the option says "New Posts"), then you need to go to Maintenance > Update Counters and Rebuild the Search Index.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• thunderclap
          • Dec 2008
          • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Lynne
          Being indexed by search has nothing to do with whether it shows up in the What's New or New Posts link, it only has to do with whether you can search in that forum specifically. To exclude forums in the What's New/New Posts button, you may add "&exclude=xx" or "&exclude=xx,yy,zz" (separate the forumids by commas) to the end of the search.php url in the navbar template for that particular search.
          This isn't working for me. Here is my code:

Code:
          <li><a href="search.php?{vb:raw session.sessionurl}do=getnew&amp;contenttype=vBForum_Post" "&amp;exclude=2,4,5,6">{vb:rawphrase new_posts_nav}</a></li>
          Is that right?

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

You need to add it as part of the url:
            HTML Code:
            <a href="search.php?{vb:raw session.sessionurl}do=getnew&amp;contenttype=vBForum_Post&amp;exclude=2,4,5,6">

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• scottct1
              • Jan 2003
              • 4.2.X

Lynne,

Sorry to add on but in vBulletin I was able to do this...

To show new posts my forums DISH Network forums I used...

For my DirecTV forum I used...

And so on for other forums..

But now when I use this in vBulletin 4.0 on my private test site when I click on those urls I see all new posts from the entire site.

How do I do it now? Hopefully I don't need to set each one up and exclude a bunch of forums (I have 60 forums on my site, so you can see this would be a pain)

So how do I do it?

Thanks!
              Yup I run a BIG Board.

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

Change forumid to include:

Code:
                http://www.satelliteguys.us/search.php?do=getnew&include=4

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• scottct1
                  • Jan 2003
                  • 4.2.X

Thanks Lynne!
                  Yup I run a BIG Board.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...