Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DAMINK
    • Jun 2010

[Forum] Rename regsiter.php?

Long story short. I want to rename register.php to another name.
    Currently i have been able to edit all the obvious links in the register.php file to point to the new file name. However i still have atleast one issue.
    When i create a test account on my newly created page it works fine but redirects to register.php?do=addmember when i want it to redirect to MYPAGE.php?do=addmember
    Is there a simple easy to do this or ?????
    FTW Forum <- Home of the damned!
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

Sorry, there is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• DAMINK
      • Jun 2010

You dont support code edits? WOW
      Despite the fact this is clearly a vbulletin issue!
      I had the same url running a MyBB forum for over 2 years before i merged to vb. The moment i did and i mean the moment i did i started getting hit by bots.
      Obviously a vulnerability they have found in VB.

So based on your reply then any forum running any mods would fall into this criteria?
      Bah. I guess i wont be posting here very often any more.

Can i ask what the point of the .com address is?
      I cant ask about code edits. I cant ask for someone to help me in a paid environment.

Comment

• setishock
        • Jun 2005
        • 4.2.x

They supply the base code. When you make changes to it, it's no longer the base code. How then is it VB's problem?

Comment

• DAMINK
          • Jun 2010

@setishock

Do a default install and see how long it takes to get hit with spam bots.
          This is default code..... I will say it again for you mate. DEFAULT.
          Or better still read my post properly. Sheez.

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

Just because vBulletin has poor effective means to fight spam doesn't mean it's their problem that you customize source code and want help with your own written code. vBulletin offers an API and DM and the hook system. You can easily write your own _account_.php with a DM and custom anti spam, and have it insert the data into vBulletin as if register.php was used.

To have register.php?* to redirect to _account_.php you can use mod_rewrite from Apache2 in .htaccess to catch register\.php and rewrite it to _account_.php

So any spam bot going to register.php ends up on _account_.php as you desire in first post.

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by DAMINK
              @setishock

Do a default install and see how long it takes to get hit with spam bots.
              This is default code..... I will say it again for you mate. DEFAULT.
              Or better still read my post properly. Sheez.
              <?php echo "banana"; ?>
              ^-- default code

<?php print "bananastand"; ?>
              ^-- rewritten default code, no longer default code.

I hope that clears things up.

Comment

• DAMINK
                • Jun 2010

lol. (note to self. Floris is great value)

To clarify.
                I stated the default code of vb was susceptible to spam bots. And it is. I dont think anyone can argue this.
                Thats it really. Nothing to write home about sure. Most every script can be attacked in the same way and i do understand that they target vb for reasons other than the easiness of the registration process. More likely its because more high PR sites use VB. Maby do follow links? I dont know. I am not a spammer so i cant answer.
                I simply asked of a way to edit the code to better suit my needs. Those being a spam free forum without the constant attempts.
                The reason i need to edit the code is because i feel its a target for spam tools such as xrummer. I assume they search for tags of vb and then go to /register.php default.
                I just wanted to create a simple method to stop this.
                I thought it was a good idea actually lol. Now i am not so sure. I have been given nothing but grief for the thought really.
                I thought a simple register.php file name change and obviously the forum links to suit. Then create a new register.php file which is actually a bot trap capturing there ip and putting it into the .htaccess file and thus banning the ip without the need to do anything.
                Simple and easy i thought.
                How wrong was i? This is day 3 of an idea i thought would take a matter of seconds.
                Its all good but. Dont mind me. I am just a little frustrated currently.
                I dont get great deals of time to spend on the back end of the forum or on a pc period. (work and 4 kids) so i do rely in part on help from others.
                I will work it out in due course and learn from the experience.
                Appreciate your replies people.

Here is my most recent email i though i might share for kicks.

The following username and email address were denied registration: george94 - [email protected] Form Processing Time in Seconds: 2 IP: 94.102.51.34 Proxy IP (if any): 94.102.51.34

Do you love the email address? xrumer!.
                Anyway this was a registration attempt which obviously failed but it was a registration attempt made from the default register.php file.
                Oh yea i have not edited a piece of original code yet. The first post i thought clarified this.
                It was more a question but appears to be converted into fact.

I copied register.php and renamed it leaving the DEFAULT or ORIGINAL file intact.
                I then started playing with the new file and this is where i am at now.
                Anyway this is getting long in the tooth given the fact the powers that be say this sort of chat is not supported so i thing i best leave it at that.
                Last edited by DAMINK; Tue 13 Jul '10, 12:42am. Reason: i always edit because i am an idiot ;)

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

I use vBulletin.org's download of "stopvbforumspam" addon
                  works great.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...