Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/car

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdoyle
    • Sep 2004

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/car

Hi,

Our forum today started displaying this message out of the blue.
    A Car Audio Forum dedicated in providing our members with the best car audio, video and alarm troubleshooting.

I think our host has done something, because earlier in the morning I submitted a help ticket inquiring about site slowness. They responded that there was another site on the server that was causing problems, and they deactivated that site and things should be good.

But it seems as soon as they've done this, our site went down with the following error.

Code:
    [B]Deprecated[/B]:  Assigning the return value of new by reference is  deprecated in [B]/home/caraudi/public_html/forums/includes/init.php[/B]  on line [B]49[/B]

[B]Deprecated[/B]:  Assigning the return value of new by reference is  deprecated in [B]/home/caraudi/public_html/forums/includes/init.php[/B]  on line [B]97[/B]

[B]Deprecated[/B]:  Assigning the return value of new by reference is  deprecated in [B]/home/caraudi/public_html/forums/includes/init.php[/B]  on line [B]101[/B]

[B]Deprecated[/B]:  Assigning the return value of new by reference is  deprecated in [B]/home/caraudi/public_html/forums/includes/init.php[/B]  on line [B]109[/B]

[B]Deprecated[/B]:  Assigning the return value of new by reference is  deprecated in [B]/home/caraudi/public_html/forums/includes/init.php[/B]  on line [B]120[/B]

[B]Deprecated[/B]:  Assigning the return value of new by reference is  deprecated in [B]/home/caraudi/public_html/forums/includes/init.php[/B]  on line [B]124[/B]

[B]Deprecated[/B]:  Assigning the return value of new by reference is  deprecated in [B]/home/caraudi/public_html/forums/includes/init.php[/B]  on line [B]132[/B]

[B]Deprecated[/B]:  Assigning the return value of new by reference is  deprecated in [B]/home/caraudi/public_html/forums/includes/init.php[/B]  on line [B]201[/B]

[B]Deprecated[/B]:  Assigning the return value of new by reference is  deprecated in [B]/home/caraudi/public_html/forums/includes/init.php[/B]  on line [B]378[/B]

[B]Deprecated[/B]:  Assigning the return value of new by reference is  deprecated in [B]/home/caraudi/public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php[/B]  on line [B]2518[/B]

[B]Warning[/B]: Division by zero in [B][path]/includes/functions.php(5571)  : eval()'d code[/B] on line [B]15
    [/B]

Anyone have any ideas on how to even fix it? or what caused it in the first place?
    The host is saying it's nothing they did.
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

Sounds like they've upgraded the version of PHP on your server.

What version is now installed and what version of vBulletin are you running?
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• cdoyle
      • Sep 2004

Ya, that's exactly what I thought. But they claim they haven't.

They are running PHP 5.3.2

I believe we were running forum version 3.7

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
        vBulletin Support
        • Aug 2002
        • 5.7.X

Although this bug relates to 3.8, you could try this fix to see if it helps your own site:

Vote for:

Comment

• cdoyle
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
          Although this bug relates to 3.8, you could try this fix to see if it helps your own site:

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIII-12772
          I looked over that page, but I'm not really sure what I need to try.

do I need to add this somewhere?
          error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~8192);

Comment

• sheppardzwc
            • Dec 2008
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by cdoyle
            I looked over that page, but I'm not really sure what I need to try.

do I need to add this somewhere?
            error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~8192);
            I've been having issues with modifications and such too. A permanent fix is to edit the files; includes/init.php, includes/class_core.php, etc. and on the line the problem is (i.e. on line 101) there should be something like:

$variable =& new Class();

Just remove the &. Fixed it for me. Another good fix for mod developers is to use this error reporting when you run into init.php errors, add: error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE ^ E_DEPRECATED);

Comment

• MissKalunji
              • Jan 2004
              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by sheppardzwc
              I've been having issues with modifications and such too. A permanent fix is to edit the files; includes/init.php, includes/class_core.php, etc. and on the line the problem is (i.e. on line 101) there should be something like:

$variable =& new Class();

Just remove the &. Fixed it for me. Another good fix for mod developers is to use this error reporting when you run into init.php errors, add: error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE ^ E_DEPRECATED);

I have the same issue, and I don't have the "&" what should I do now? *sigh*
              www.dancehallareaz.com
              www.caribnation.com

Need i say more?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                vBulletin Support
                • Aug 2002
                • 5.7.X

Please start your own thread with full details of your problem (inlcuding vB and PHP versions)
                Vote for:

Comment

• WendolM
                  • Nov 2009
                  • 3.8.x

removing the & does solve the problem, so thanks, sheppardzwc!

Comment

• silly rabbit
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Yes - i am running "Version 3.8.1" (and 3.8.2) on "PHP Version 5.3.23" and manually removing "&" from "=& new" DOES WORK, fix problem THX

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...