Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lovefords
    • Nov 2008

[Suite] Successful Installation 1st time

My 3.84/2 site upgraded perfectly to 4.00/1 the first time.

What I thought was a "problem" was that the StyleVar (colors, font size, header image) would not take effect on the CMS Home page, but worked everywhere else.

To solve this I figured out that simply de-activating my custom style was not enough. It had to be deleted from the server. I don't know if this is a fix for everyone but maybe it will help.

The forums, albums, permissions, user groups, everything migrated fine.

If you want to take a look here it is: http://forum.love-fords.org

Eventually the "forum" site will be merged with the original LOVEfords site (this original site is not vB powered), just giving the link in case you want to see where my "new content" is coming from.

Good luck with your upgrades and may you all have a happy and prosperous new year.

John
    You can pay more...but you can't buy better than the Ford.
  • Smiler2009
    • Apr 2009
    • 4.2.X

Same story here John. Everything upgraded perfectly first time. I had the benefit of playing with the betas and RC's on another server so I had ironed out most of the potential pitfalls. I too had the CMS homepage problem but only with the logo which was solved by uploading my logo renamed "vbulletin4_logo.gif" which did the trick.

Well done to the VB team, they've taken a lot of flak lately and deserve some praise for getting VB as bug free as it seems at Gold. No doubt the patches will flow quickly once the holidays are out of the way and the complaints will subside, this is just the first step on the journey after all.

Regards to all, have a happy Christmas and a safe and prosperous New Year.

Jeff.

Comment

• lovefords
      • Nov 2008

Jeff,

I am really pleased with the initial results and my head is swimming thinking of the possibilities with this new product. Over the past 10 years I have spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours using stuff like Front Page and Expression Web which was really not very efficient not to mention the learning curve required for those products. The results with these products are not nearly as predictable as with vB.

Like you I played around with all of the pre-releases and that helped immensely.

I think the vB team should be proud of their product and I have already talked 2 members of my family to buy it, too. I have a handful of clients for whom I build sites and this will be what they are going to use as well. I agree with your statement about the VB team. If you want to see bugs just pick up a copy of Expression Web and try to make it work the same way twice.

I am so excited about being able to create my automobile site's content "on the fly" where ever I am without that ridiculous, absurd Microsoft millstone around my neck any more. I love cars, not computers.

John
      You can pay more...but you can't buy better than the Ford.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...