X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WildFire.ca
    • Jul 2008
    • 3.8.x

New Members Attachments Not Uploading

I have moved my forum to a new host about 10 days ago and have noticed that the new members cant upload attachments. When I made a new account and gave it admin privileges I got this message.

_Enjoy_your_breakfast__by_nocturnalMoTH.jpg:
    Failed to write file. Check disc quotas and permissions for the path: /home/vhosts/couchlockcafe.com/httpdocs/attachments/5/9/8

Members that had accounts before the move are having no problems.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Make sure that the attachments directory and all subdirectories are CHMOD 1777.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• WildFire.ca
      • Jul 2008
      • 3.8.x

Hello again Wayne, thank you for responding. I have applied the the permissions to that directory, I did it through ftp using the input 777, with apply to all sub-directory's and files checked. I also entered 1777, just to be sure. I am still having the same problem.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Per.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	3672433

Comment

• WildFire.ca
        • Jul 2008
        • 3.8.x

Bump

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

You need to apply this recursively so all new directories have the appropriate permissions:

chmod -R 777 /home/vhosts/couchlockcafe.com/httpdocs/attachments
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• WildFire.ca
            • Jul 2008
            • 3.8.x

Hello Steve thanks for replying. /httpdocs is the highest I can see in my dir structure. I have set httpdocs to 777, I have also set the attachments folder permissions to 777 with the switch on to apply to all folders and files. Its still not working and giving me the same error. Its is allowing new accounts to upload images to my albums with out any problems. I also noticed most of the other folders are set to 775 with the exception of /signaturepics and a few others. I can see that attachments/5/9/8 folder with the ftp progie and its set to 777, and its also got nothing in it.

I am just messing around with it but I just del'ed the attachments/5/9/8 and tried to upload an attachment and it still tried to upload to the same folder, but it didn't make it. I have made a new folder and the permissions 777 were applied automatically for the "8" folder.
            Code:
            [B]Picture 003.jpg[/B]:
             Failed to write file. Check disc quotas and permissions for the path: /home/vhosts/couchlockcafe.com/httpdocs/attachments/5/9/8
            Last edited by WildFire.ca; Tue 14 Apr '09, 5:50pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

Do not set httpdocs to 777. You need to do this:

chmod -R 777 /home/vhosts/couchlockcafe.com/httpdocs/attachments

Since the system did not make that directory this means you have not followed those instructions.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Depending on your system, you might have to change ownership of your attachments directory and everything within it to the same user and group as the Apache user. This would be true if your ISP recently "Hardened" the server. You would use CHOWN for this.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• WildFire.ca
                  • Jul 2008
                  • 3.8.x

Ok I have changed the permissions 2 different ways now I have used ftp and also my hosts file manager. I tried to telnet in but was having a hell of a time loging on. I dont know if its me or just that I havent used telnet for ever. I tried open couchlockcafe.com, nata thing happend. Got "could not open connection to the host". I went looking for what I could find on owner of my files and I found this. I will look in to how to use CHOWN as thats new to me. Thank you for your help

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci090415110519.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	3672436

Comment

• WildFire.ca
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 3.8.x

After 22 emails and 10 phone calls I have finally gotten our host company to change the ownership of all the Attachment folders and files files over to Apache. Just the Attachments folder, every other folder in the sites directory, the includes, install folders ect are named chouchl. Now no one on the site can upload or view any attachments, new or old members.

At one point they offered to unharden our domain, IDK if that would help or not.
                    Last edited by WildFire.ca; Tue 19 May '09, 12:58pm.

Comment

• WildFire.ca
                      • Jul 2008
                      • 3.8.x

bueller bueller

We have changed the owner ship of the attachments back to us(chouchl) and we are still experiencing the original problem.
                      Last edited by WildFire.ca; Tue 26 May '09, 8:45am.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

If the error is this:

"could not open connection to the host".

Then it's still a server/hosting issue. You need to contact your host. There is nothing we can do about this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• WildFire.ca
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 3.8.x

The reason I was getting that error was I was trying to telnet in to a shared server on a shared IP, that I can't telnet in too. I have to ask our host company to do the chown commands for us, and they take for ever to do anything. We are still having the new members can't upload pics problem. There server/our site is making the new folders, the folders are being made owner as Apache. This makes it so the site can not access the folder, its also making the folders with the wrong Permissions. I am fixing the problem by going through every folder in the attachments folder and looking for single folder owned by Apache, so what I then do is the file, via ftp and remake it with the same name and then change the permissions. This fixes it, it used to take me a while to do but I am getting real good at it now.

Comment

• WildFire.ca
                            • Jul 2008
                            • 3.8.x

We are looking for a solution, if you guys have one. Should I be making a repair ticket, I am at a loss here, as what to do?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              • Jul 2000

I'm afraid post #12 is still applicable. This is a server issue.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...