Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lee Herron
    • Jun 2001

Limit photo tag by group or level.

Am disappointed that the new release does not include this feature, so thought I'd check with you guys to see what the best mod is for it.

Need to limit the ability of users to post images (not attachments) within their posts - but allow others to post images.

Would prefer the limit to be something other than by group, as group filtering adds to the server load and my server already has times when it strains under the demand, but will take what I can get. (will be running vb 3.8.x)

Thanks
    Lee
    - lh
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Currently IMG tags can only be disabled per forum, not per user or usergroup. I think there is an addon for this on www.vbulletin.org. I recommend you search / ask over there.

Comment

• Lee Herron
      • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
      Currently IMG tags can only be disabled per forum, not per user or usergroup. I think there is an addon for this on www.vbulletin.org. I recommend you search / ask over there.
      Hi Jake,

Want to see something interesting?

Originally posted: Fri 8th Feb '08, 2:16pm
      Yes, but only post attachments, not IMG tags. The ability to use post attachments is a group permission, and group memberships can be changed with a promotion that is based on reputation:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Promotions
      Originally posted: Wed 10th Aug '05, 11:56am
      The ability to attach images to posts is a group permission:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Edit Usergroup (in the menu) -> Can Upload Attachments

The ability to use the IMG tag is a forum option:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Manager -> Edit Forum (in the menu) -> Allow [IMG] Code

There is no option to restrict the use of IMG tags at the group level. Doing so would require custom code. If you want to pursue this, then you might find an existing hack on www.vbulletin.org, the official vB hacking site.
      About 4 years and yet this one feature has still been overlooked by the development team - is it really *that* hard to implement?

The closest thing I've found on the dot-org site is a BBcode permissions mod, which doesn't appear to support 3.8.x at this time - wasn't sure if it hadn't been made obsolete by the new advanced features of the latest vb release.

With new members often posting inappropriate images, it has always seemed like a simple and useful feature - continue to be surprised by its exclusion.

Thanks
      - lh

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Lee Herron
        With new members often posting inappropriate images, it has always seemed like a simple and useful feature - continue to be surprised by its exclusion
        ...as in spam bots? The ideal is to stop the spam bots from even registering. You can use one of the human verification options:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Human Verification Manager (on the left, not the right)

The Q&A option can be very effective. Note that the "image verification" option isn't very effective anymore since some bots are programmed to read those images.

Comment

• Lee Herron
          • Jun 2001

...as in spam bots? The ideal is to stop the spam bots from even registering. You can use one of the human verification options:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Human Verification Manager (on the left, not the right)

The Q&A option can be very effective. Note that the "image verification" option isn't very effective anymore since some bots are programmed to read those images.
          hmm .. not even related to this topic.
          - lh

Comment

• Jake Bunce
            • Dec 2000
            • 3.6.x

...as in spam bots?
            Then the answer is no. When faced with spam bots many people try to treat the symptoms instead of the cause by trying to restrict hyperlinks and images.

There is nothing else to followup with. That features is not in vBulletin.

Comment

• Lee Herron
              • Jun 2001

Jake .. my previous reply was pointing out that you had been the same person giving me the same bad news for over 4 years now - I thought it was interesting.

My follow up regarding your post not being related to this thread was more that it appeared you had to replied to the wrong thread, leaving the other unanswered; no where in any of my posts on this topic did I mention "spam bots" .. my problem is that sometimes new users post inappropriate images; so by limiting the image bbcode to those with higher reps / or user levels we can avert those instances and the images posting privilege can be used to keep members in line. (I am not confusing spam bots with new human members)

I realize that vbb still does not offer this feature, and have looked for an alternative on the dot-org site with no success. After 4 years, I think it would be nice to hear why it hasn't been addressed, but more to the point, I wasn't trying to be rude.
              - lh

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...