Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChriSsY
    • Mar 2002

MySQL Error : MySQL client ran out of memory

Im currently vBulletin 3.6.3 and have recently discovered that when i try to backup the database i always receive the following:

Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: Unable to save result set in /includes/class_core.php on line 363

Invalid SQL:
    SELECT * FROM attachment;

Error Number : 2008
    Date : Friday, January 4th 2008 @ 08:37:28 AM
    Script : http://****/backup.php?do=sqlfile
    Referrer : http://****/backup.php?do=choose

Does anyone know the best way to fix, i 've tried disabling all the current plugins but still encounter this issue. I was today going to upgrade to the latest release of 3.6 but obviously since im struggling to make proper database backups im a little hesitant.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks.

Edit: Just to add i have tried repairing/optimizing the database tables numerous times but to no avail. I also contacted my host about any problems in regards to MySQL Error : MySQL client ran out of memory but they requested i show them how to replicate the error and no doubt they'll just say it's a software (vbulletin) issue.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

That is clearly a server issue. The MySQL client ran out of memory. I'm surprised any host would not be able to recognize that fact.

They will probably have to restart MySQL to fix this.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• ChriSsY
      • Mar 2002

Thanks Steve, i'll try contacting them again but previously i just received:
      Dear Client:

Please provide the steps necessary to duplicate this error on our end.
      If you have any other questions and/or problems, please feel free to contact us again.
      Anyone know what i could ask them to do?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

I really don't know because this is an intermittent server issue. If they don't undertnd hat this means:

Then I'm afraid they should not be running a hosting service.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• ChriSsY
          • Mar 2002

Sorry for bumping this again, but im still stuck with this. I would move hosts but because of this problem i'm unable to make any recent database backups.

Here's the current response:

Hello,

xxxxxxxxxx.com shows to be on one of our shared servers. We are unable to increase the php memory limit. It is currently set to 40M. To have it higher you would have to get a dedicated server. Those can be seen here: http://hostgator.com/dedicated.html

Let us know if you have further questions.

Regards,
          xxxxxxxxx
          HostGator Support
          Am i right in thinking this error has nothing to do with the PHP memory limits?

Moving to a dedicated server would be extreme overkill for this forum, there's roughly only 7-10 registered users on at any one time and we average 2,000 visitors a day.
          Last edited by ChriSsY; Fri 18 Jan '08, 6:51am.

Comment

• jasonlitka
            • Mar 2006
            • 4.0.x

How large is your database? Do you have attachments/avatars/etc. in the database or in the file system?
            Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

• ChriSsY
              • Mar 2002

The database is ~189.45mb and also houses the attachments/avatars etc.

I did contemplate moving the filesystem to it's own dir but wasn't sure whether the process would complete given the recent mysql errors. I didnt want to risk corrupting the entire thing.

Comment

• jasonlitka
                • Mar 2006
                • 4.0.x

If the move to the file system doesn't complete successfully then nothing should be changed in your DB.
                Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

• ChriSsY
                  • Mar 2002

Yeah, i can't even move the files out of the database:

Error Number : 2008

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...