X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • serverguy84
    • Oct 2007
    • 3.7.x

Too Many Connections Database Error

Hi i have no idea whats going on. All of a sudden i started getting a whole bunch of these emails. About a database error.

Database error in vBulletin :

mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]: Too many connections
    /home/u1/forum/myforum.com/html/includes/class_core.php on line 274

What do i do? I can't even get on my site
  • dodgeboard.com
    • Nov 2005
    • 4.0.x

common error-

I have dealt with this extensively.

Usually it's a limitation of your host.

But there are some things you can do to reduce the error.

like, make sure persistent connections is OFF in your config.php

Also - examine your error emails. Are they all from the same IP or various IP's?

Consider upgrading your hosting package to semi-dedicated or ask your host to increase the number of sql connections allowed. It may not be your site, but another site on the same server (with shared hosting) that is causing your problems. You may be able to remedy by asking them to move you to another server.
    Last edited by dodgeboard.com; Tue 1 Jan '08, 7:25pm.

Comment

• serverguy84
      • Oct 2007
      • 3.7.x

I have a total of 100 members and only about 20 of them are active reguarly.

I just checked and 5 emails have the same ip. 4 emails have the same ip and 2 emails have the same ip. Total of 11 emails

And the 5 emails one is my ip, the other ips are from 2 of my users
      Last edited by serverguy84; Tue 1 Jan '08, 7:18pm.

Comment

• dodgeboard.com
        • Nov 2005
        • 4.0.x

Who you hosting with? What is your package size?

Site URL?

also see this thread
        Last edited by dodgeboard.com; Tue 1 Jan '08, 7:22pm.

Comment

• serverguy84
          • Oct 2007
          • 3.7.x

Im hosting with Aplus.net

What does package size mean?

Comment

• dodgeboard.com
            • Nov 2005
            • 4.0.x

LOL not what it sounds like!!!!!

Your hosting package - most all hosts have different levels of service.

Do you have the entry level service, mid level service, shared hosting, semi-dedicated, virtual, etc....?

EDIT: For Aplus.net they call it; Solo, Solo XR, Pro, ePro

Whats the URL to your site?

Did you examine the error email? Are they all from the same IP or various IP's?

Comment

• serverguy84
              • Oct 2007
              • 3.7.x

My site url is ....removed....

like, make sure persistent connections is OFF in your config.php
              I checked and it was already off.

Go here: http://hosting.aplus.net/compare_unix.html

I have the SoloXR Plan

I have a total of 20 error emails all the ip's are from 3 different users including me

What kinda error is this? My host? or what? Im confused What should i do
              Last edited by Lynne; Wed 8 Jan '14, 9:08am. Reason: removed site link

Comment

• dodgeboard.com
                • Nov 2005
                • 4.0.x

The most users ever online at your site was 15. Right now, you only have 7 on and that includes guest connections.

Another site on your server is causing the problem.

Submit a trouble ticket over at aplus.net. Refer them to this thread. Unless you speak arabic, good luck with your communications- I read over at webhostingtalk.com that they don't speak English very well.

Aplus.net 24/7 Toll Free Technical Support - 1 888 301 2516

Searching over at webhostingtalk.com, I found lots of negative stories about aplus.net. Looks like they may be oversold. IF you get nowhere with your host and they refuse to move you to another server, I would suggest going with someone with more experience with vBulletin, like hostgator.com or godaddy.com - they are both competitive and offer a pretty good bang for the buck. Most hosts will even move your site over to their servers at no cost just to gain you as a customer. It's usually pretty painless.

EDIT: Oh btw, there are 2,712 other sites on the same server as yours. Your host has oversold your server. I was in that boat about a year ago and asked my host to move me to a server with less traffic. Now there are only 489 sites on my server and things are working smooth.

EDIT: Oh, and looking over those plans- don't let them talk you into upgrading your plan - While the two plans above yours offer increases in bandwidth and storage, they do not offer any increased sql connections. Better to get moved off to another server or just change hosts.
                Last edited by dodgeboard.com; Tue 1 Jan '08, 7:59pm.

Comment

• serverguy84
                  • Oct 2007
                  • 3.7.x

Yes you are right. I hate aplus they're customer service stinks. And half of them don't speak english. I signed up for 2 years hosting and so i am stuck with them untill. But i am def. moving hosts after my time is finished.

So there is nothing i can do?

Comment

• dodgeboard.com
                    • Nov 2005
                    • 4.0.x

Only thing you can do is, like I said, ask them to move you to another server or increase the sql connections. I'll bet a dollar they tell you "no" or give you the total run-around.

I made the same stupid decision when I signed up with registerfly three years ago. Ofter being drove outa my fricken gourd with their support, I moved to hostgator and couldn't be happier.

Good Luck to you - I know what you are going through.

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                      • Feb 2005
                      • 1.1.x

dodgeboard.com does that domain tool search real work, cause it says my domain name is hosted on a dedicated server. If that is so, then I have the cheapest one around. $5 a month.

You should ask your host how many allowable constant connection they have set aside for you. I ask my host to increase my by 35 more and now I have no trouble at all for my test site.

Comment

• serverguy84
                        • Oct 2007
                        • 3.7.x

Ok i asked

What is your max sql connections for the SoloXR plan
                        They said

The maximum number of simultaneous connections for MySQL is set to 10 on the Aplus.Net Unix-based hosting servers. The connections are handled really fast so that number is usually enough.

And i asked them if they could raise the number of connections

They said
                        not on shared hosting

What causes this error?? I don't understand what that error means

Too many people on at once? Too many windows open at one?

Comment

• dodgeboard.com
                          • Nov 2005
                          • 4.0.x

While more people on at once does increase the issue, it's really not like one person requires one connection. I've seen boards that are limited to 20 sql connections handle 100 members on at once.

Vbulletin queries the database for templates, user settings, posts, threads, poll votes and tons of other stuff to "build" every page. Its the nature of php. Certain modifications connect to the database for various functions.

Connections to the sql database are required to access tables and columns to produce the pages on your site or to change values in the fields.

While it is true that the connections are handled very quickly and then released, 10 connections seems extremely low.

You need to jump ship and cut your losses.

Comment

• serverguy84
                            • Oct 2007
                            • 3.7.x

I was having the same error message with phpbb and i had less users. I think you are right. Its time to move to a better host. It was my first time getting a host and i didn't know a thing. Live and learn....

What is the max connections with your host? What about dedicated servers whats usually the max connections with them?
                            Last edited by serverguy84; Tue 1 Jan '08, 8:53pm.

Comment

• dodgeboard.com
                              • Nov 2005
                              • 4.0.x

If you were getting this with PHPBB, then yeah- vBulletin queries the sql database in a similar fashion.

It's not vBulletin that's the problem. It's the fact that your host is not qualified to handle any database intensive sites.

There is nothing you can do short of finding a new host.
                              Last edited by dodgeboard.com; Tue 1 Jan '08, 9:02pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...