X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drobie
    • Dec 2007
    • 3.6.x

New Post Nofications

A member just emailed saying he couldn't turn off these notifications in his CP.

In the Admin CP, under Email Options, this feature is lumped together with several others in the "Enable Email features?" section? I'd like to retain some of those other features but turn off New Post notifications.

Is it possible to do this. If so, how do I stop deafult automatic New Post notifications for users.
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

You can't turn off only the new post notification system, but you can adjust the user preferences so it doesn't subscribe by default. You can set the default for new registrations in your:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> User Registration Options -> Default Registration Options

You can mass update the preferences of exsiting users in your:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Execute SQL Query

There is a menu with predefined queries. You must have permission to execute queries in your includes/config.php file:

Code:
    	//	****** USERS WITH QUERY RUNNING PERMISSIONS ******
    	//	The users specified here will be allowed to run queries from the control panel.
    	//	See the above entries for more information on the format.
    	//	Please note that the ability to run queries is quite powerful. You may wish
    	//	to remove all user IDs from this list for security reasons.
    $config['SpecialUsers']['canrunqueries'] = '';

Comment

• drobie
      • Dec 2007
      • 3.6.x

I edited the includes/config.php but have one more question because I still don't have permission.

The text to be inserted says "The users specified here..." and "...You may wish
      // to remove all user IDs from this list for security reasons.
      $config['SpecialUsers']['canrunqueries'] = '';

What are Special Users and do I put something else in the brackets if the permission is for me only. Something like my user ID?

Thanks.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

For example, if your userid is 1:

Code:
        $config['SpecialUsers']['canrunqueries'] = '[color=red]1[/color]';

Comment

• drobie
          • Dec 2007
          • 3.6.x

The config file is now giving me permission to run the query.

However, the warnings before running a query motivate me to confirm that "no instant email notification" is the one I want to run?.

And...by running that query only the default New Post notification will be turned off, e.g. all users will still be able to make their own choices regarding emails announcing a new post?

What other types of email does it affect?

Thanks for you patience.

Comment

• peterska2
            • Oct 2003
            • 3.7.x

It only affects the new post email notifications. Setting it to no will allow your users to change this to yes on a per user or per thread basis as they desire through their usercp.

Comment

• drobie
              • Dec 2007
              • 3.6.x

Thanks.

Is this the result I want?

UPDATE user SET autosubscribe = 1

with Bulletin message

Affected Rows: 3 (0.0004s)

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                • Dec 2000
                • 3.6.x

autosubscribe = 1 is for instant email notification. I thought you wanted to turn it off. There is also an option on the SQL page to turn off that preference.

Comment

• drobie
                  • Dec 2007
                  • 3.6.x

I did want that Jake, but I wanted them universally turned off for me as Admin only.

But I also want all users, including me, to still have their own control on a thread by thread basis.

Is that accomplished by entering "no" as Kerry-Anne suggested?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                    • Dec 2000
                    • 3.6.x

Setting that user preference will change the default subscription option for new posts. It is an "opt-in" subscription at the time of post. For example, if my user preference is set to get instant email notification by default, then when I post in a thread it automatically subscribes me to that thread, but I can change it at the time of posting on the posting screen.

Comment

• drobie
                      • Dec 2007
                      • 3.6.x

Two points that baffle me.

1. The notifications seem to come on every response to every thread. (I reviewed about a dozen. Have deleted many from my inbox.)

2. They're coming from an email address I no longer use for forum issues. I set up a new one through my websiteCP and can't find any reference to the old in AdminCP. I've looked for my personal and Admin email address everywhere, changed all ones I could find, but must have missed something given these notifications from the old one that I can turn off.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                        • Dec 2000
                        • 3.6.x

Maybe this:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Manager -> Edit Forum -> Email Addresses to Notify When there is a New Post

Comment

• drobie
                          • Dec 2007
                          • 3.6.x

Yes sir, I missed one or two. That should do it.

Thanks Jake.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...