Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • candyman
    • Jun 2003

Resize Image Restrictions?

Can anyone tell me what the restrictions are on the resize image functionality? I know in the attachment manager, when you add a new type, the max width and max height sections mention "This only applies to image files of the extensions: bmp, gif, jpe, jpg, jpeg, png, psd, tif and tiff." but when I test it out on my forum some of them work but some don't. What I mean by doesn't work is that when I try a .jpg file that is 1704x2272 I get the following msg "IMG_3686.JPG:The Dimension limits for this file type are 800 x 600. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 1704 x 2272." I tried a .gif file and it resized it without a problem. Just curious as to the limitations of this resize functionality and why the above jpg didn't work?

Thanks
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

There is a new setting in the config.php file, if its not there it uses a ahrd coded value.

// Image Processing Options
    // Images that exceed either dimension below will not be resized by vBulletin. If you need to resize larger images, alter these settings.
    $config['Misc']['maxwidth'] = 2592;
    $config['Misc']['maxheight'] = 1944;

ImageMagick and GD only have so much memory to work with, and large files can be very memory consuming.

Comment

• candyman
      • Jun 2003

Thanks Zachery.
      That brings up another interesting thing. I just upgraded from 3.5.4 to 3.6.4 yesterday. Everything has been working fine. That said I just opened my config.php file to look for the setting you mentioned and I'm not sure if it was updated when the upgrade took place. The header still says "vBulletin 3.5.4 - Licence Number..." and the two settings you mentioned are not even in it? Is this something to worry about and if so how do I fix it?

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Those settings are from the 3.6.3+ config file.

Comment

• candyman
          • Jun 2003

1- Any ideas why this wouldn't have changed during my upgrade from 3.5.4 to 3.6.4?
          2- Is this something I need to get fixed?

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

1. you didnt use a 3.6.4 config file?
            2. You can add these lines even up the base settings if you want.

Comment

• candyman
              • Jun 2003

I followed the online upgrade instructions and didn't have any problems. I don't remember seeing anywhere info regarding changes etc to a config file? Did I miss a step during my upgrade?

I did a comparison between my current config file and the config.php.new that was in the original zip file and it looks like the only change is the following

// Image Processing Options
              // Images that exceed either dimension below will not be resized by vBulletin. If you need to resize larger images, alter these settings.
              $config['Misc']['maxwidth'] = 2592;
              $config['Misc']['maxheight'] = 1944;
              so I'll add it....sure wish I knew why it wasn't updated though

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

You dont have to update the config file every upgrade.

Comment

• candyman
                  • Jun 2003

ok thanks for all the help Zachery. One last questions. Once I add these new settings to the config file do I need to restart IIS for the changes to be implemented or will they take effect right away?

Comment