Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madcow
    • Apr 2001

Free for non profit use

Will you give a license for the FULL (not Lite) version of vBulletin free to a non-profit organization?
  • Nicholas Brown
    • Oct 2000
    • 1.1.x

Im not a rep. of Jelsoft but Id say no - if they did it would say so on the ordering page

Comment

• jojo85
      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by madcow
      Will you give a license for the FULL (not Lite) version of vBulletin free to a non-profit organization?
      No lololol.You are dreaming a little bit

Comment

• klisis
        • May 2000

I don't think that will happen.
        It's very hard work as you may see. No matter what this hard worked software should not be free to anyone even if it's for non-profit.

Comment

• xshredx
          • Feb 2001

i'd say... 50$ for non profit...
          $250 for the others... it's a bit stupid that a fortune 500 company has to pay as much as the average kid making a site for a non-profit organisation in his free time from school...
          non-profit shouldn't mean that your site looks like ****, but most times the pricing schemes of commercial software really is out of range for these people... and that's a pitty.. i think it would be a good thing for jelsoft is there was a diversification in the pricing scheme... but they go for the big money i suppose
          don't get me wrong... i said nothing about free, but a $50 would be nice for non-profit people (and face it, most of these sites have something like 500-1000 posts a month... don't you really get it that some people think this should cost less than the big boards with hundreds of messages a day...)... i really am not asking free, just not very expensive for little sites
          for example... behind the sitepointforums there is money, i'm sure of that... (hey, to begin with, i really have nothing against sitepoint...they actually rule in my opinion)... but is it really right that they pay as much as when i would start i small forum for my band's site???
          just a question, but i know most of you well be against this...
          but as an opensource developer myself, i think the 'it's very hard work'-argument is not a very good argument..; i work a lot too, and enjoy making my code free, and doing my site for $0... i get satisfaction from that too...
          not everything should be about making money...
          it jelsoft would have a better pricing scheme for non-profit, then vbulletin would really become THE FORUM SOFTWARE on the net... if i were the bosses over there, i would look further then my own nose, and think about this one...
          anyway... i think most of you don't care as money is no problem to you... be happy that you are priviliged...

Comment

• George L
            Former vBulletin Support
            • May 2000
            • 3.8.x

:: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

I'm setting up a non-profit organization and not only do I want vB for free, I think I also deserve free rent, free food, no-cost utliities, and oh yes - one of the spiffy new Sony laptop comptuters!

Nonprofit is good!
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• klisis
                • May 2000

Money is not a problem as long as you know how worthy and useful the software is.

As for non-profit sites, to build a nice and useful site, you need to spend some money in it, finding a good hosts etc etc. I for one have a non-profit site as my main site and yet I spent a lot of money on it.
                I am not saying that money is not a problem at all but when it comes to a software like this, money is not a big problem. These guys here spend most of their time finding,fixing bugs and add new features. Don't they deserve $$ for it?

And even if Jelsoft drops the price for non-profit sites to $50, there will still be those free-bies who want this software to be completely free to non-profit and they will keep complaining it until it becomes free.

Comment

• jojo85
                  • Jan 2001

ohhh,eva has changed of avatar

Comment

• JamesUS
                    • Aug 2000

I don't think we can really complain abouut the price.
                    We are getting a fantastic piece of software for a bargain price - if you can't afford it at the moment you have to wait until you can
                    I'm a student working on sites in my spare time after school but I still pay as much as everyone else for software.
                    In my opinion vB would still be great value at $300. At the moment it is half (or even a quarter for a yearly license) of that price.

Comment

• jojo85
                      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by JamesUS
                      I don't think we can really complain abouut the price.
                      We are getting a fantastic piece of software for a bargain price - if you can't afford it at the moment you have to wait until you can
                      I'm a student working on sites in my spare time after school but I still pay as much as everyone else for software.
                      In my opinion vB would still be great value at $300. At the moment it is half (or even a quarter for a yearly license) of that price.
                      Right!!!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

I would like to point out that what everyone is referring to as "non-profit" should actually be hobbyist.

Non-Profit is usually a tax designation devoted to charitable organizations and a few other entities.

Case in Point... In the United States, one of the largest Healthcare Organizations is a Non-Profit corporation. This company is Kaiser Permanente and they are a multi-billion dollar corporation but still non-profit. All their money must go into paying doctors, nurses and running their medical facilities. They pay on an average of $1 million a year to run their website and extranet.

Just because you run a site that doesn't have an income doesn't make you a non-profit, it makes you a hobbyist. As with any hobby you have to pay to maintain it. A hobby of mine is collecting books and movies. I have hundreds of movies and thousands of books. If I went into Barnes and Noble and said, I would like this book for free because I have a collection that I don't make money off of, they would laugh and say "That will be $32.48 please".

Why should software be any different. If you truly don't want to invest the money in this software there are many free alternatives that you can look into like IkonBoard, phpBB and others.

I would like to add that what is now "SitePoint" started out as a 1 page site on XOOM.COM in1997. It is only after hard work by many people has it grown into what it is today. It started with no money and has grown into a company that has employees in three countries and volunteers on 4 different continents. There is no large investment fund behind SitePoint, it earns the money it has and spends to keep the network running.
                        Last edited by Wayne Luke; Thu 5 Apr '01, 11:01am.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• auto
                          • Dec 2000

Wayne,
                          I am just really curious,
                          can we see how SitePoint looked in '97 on XOOM?
                          Does anyone have the old files still sitting on their hard drive? That would be so awesome to see it. "The History of SitePoint"
                          Webmaster
                          http://www.AutomotiveForums.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...