X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sparky
    • Dec 2005
    • 4.2.x

Will vB4 be able to replace my Website and Forum

Currently I have a seperate website and forum, my website is built around many static (DreamWeaver) pages consisting of Java thumbnail scripts, dropdown navigation scripts with text and images.

Looking at the screenshots and what vB4 will offer, is it appropriate to suggest that the new version will be able to replace my site so I have a single self contained domain (at the moment they are very seperate entities).

I don't mind re-doing the site and working it around vB4 but I don't want to spend time if the new version cannot offer a one stop shop solution

Btw, I have purchased into vB4 so I'm hoping for positive feedback

Mark
  • cellarius
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

I'm not really sure what exactly you want to know. Yes, there will be a cms, and on principle you will be able to replace your static html pages with that.

Comment

• sparky
      • Dec 2005
      • 4.2.x

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my site is built in Dreamweaver and my forum vB, will the CMS bring them both together?

Comment

• yabziz
        • Aug 2004
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by sparky
        I guess what I'm trying to say is that my site is built in Dreamweaver and my forum vB, will the CMS bring them both together?
        I think you have to copy & paste your site pages created by Dreamweaver into CMS. But some image path or CSS has to be adapted to CMS.
        Yet another better SEO module for vBulletin - YABBSEO!

Comment

• ricerice
          • Aug 2005
          • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

what is your site?

Comment

• sparky
            • Dec 2005
            • 4.2.x

www.os-db.net

Comment

• ricerice
              • Aug 2005
              • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

old school, awesome, i always wanted a db when i was a kid but never had the $$$
              well done

Comment

• sparky
                • Dec 2005
                • 4.2.x

Cheers guys, I think I'll want for the release version before I start playing around.

Comment

• Ingenious
                  • Mar 2008
                  • 3.8.x

The main advantage of sticking your content into CMS instead of hardcoding articles with dreamweaver is they will be included in your community, so can be searched, commented on, but most of all will be easy to edit by yourself or moderators, and you can also encourage contributions from your members without them needing to know how to code web pages. It isn't a miracle solution to every website, as some content is still better outside of CMS (eg. articles which have a unique look or design which cannot be replicated in CMS, or parts of your site requiring bespoke databases). Personally I think vB4's CMS will be well suited to informational articles, news and the likes, content that is frequently added to or commented on etc.
                  Fireworks

Comment

• sparky
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Ingenious
                    The main advantage of sticking your content into CMS instead of hardcoding articles with dreamweaver is they will be included in your community, so can be searched, commented on, but most of all will be easy to edit by yourself or moderators, and you can also encourage contributions from your members without them needing to know how to code web pages. It isn't a miracle solution to every website, as some content is still better outside of CMS (eg. articles which have a unique look or design which cannot be replicated in CMS, or parts of your site requiring bespoke databases). Personally I think vB4's CMS will be well suited to informational articles, news and the likes, content that is frequently added to or commented on etc.
                    Thanks for this, this is why I feel my current site/forum will benefit from using vB4. The current design are simply static pages which consist of a thumbnail images (that can be blown up, I hope vB has scripts for), text and asssociated PDF's. I'll want reseachers to have the ability to edit content where permitted. At the moment there is not an easy way to go direct to associated information and looking. At the same time I'll need to drill drown into subsections, e.g. All models > Year > model

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...