• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crabacus
    • May 2004

Problem with corrupt backups

I am using the following command to backup my MySQL database:

mysqldump -u user -p password --opt -Q database > database.sql

Unfortunately when I restore a backup, my avatars become corrupted. Here is an example of what I mean:

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Drop the -Q

Also how are you transferring the database.sql and how are your restoring it? Is that a custom avatar or one that is available to your members via the User CP. Do you store custom avatars in the database or the file syttem?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• crabacus
      • May 2004

Do you store custom avatars in the database or the file syttem?
      I just moved attachments from the database to the filesystem. This will probably solve my problem just fine. Thanks.

Comment

• crabacus
        • May 2004

Well, it seems the problem isn't related to the database backup at all. I moved attachments from the database to the filesystem. My avatars show up correctly on the forum.

However, if I backup my database and restore it into a duplicate installation, the avatars are displaying incorrectly again ... this time from the file system. I can't seem to track down the source of this problem.

Example avatar:

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

That's a strange one. In the Admin CP, click on vBulletin Options and open the Server Settings and Optimization Options section and turn on the Public phpinfo() Display Enabled setting. Then provide the URL to your forums. This may help us troubleshoot this problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• crabacus
            • May 2004

Here is the phpinfo:

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

The only thing out of the ordinary I noticed is that your phpinfo does not have a setting for upload_tmp_dir. Since you are on a FreeBSD server, you need to edit php.ini to set the upload_tmp_dir variable to a directory on the server that is chmod'd to 777. This may fix that problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• crabacus
                • May 2004

okay, i tried that but it does not appear to have helped. i just setup an alternate installation which contains a backup/import of the databse from the original install. these were my steps:

1) mysqldump --opt -uuser -p database > db.sql
                2) mysql -uuser -p newdatabase < db.sql
                3) i then copied the forum software to another directory and reconfigured it to connect to the new database. the avatars display properly in the original installation (http://digitalpanic.org/btforums) and do not appear properly in the new installation (http://digitalpanic.org/testing).

please, feel free to look at the new installation to see first hand the problem i am talking about. all avatars are corrupted.

one thing that i find very interesting is this: last week i moved the attachments from the database to the filesystem thinking it might fix this problem. currently on the original installation, attachments are being stored in /www/digitalpanic/html/btforums/attachments. when i restore my database backup into the new installation, it says the same thing. so it would seem that both installations are reading attachments from the same directory, but one of them is not able to view them properly. on a side note, how can i tell the new installation to look in the new directory for attachments (the one i copied to a new location)?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

At this point I think you should fill out a support ticket at:

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP. Please also include a complete description of the problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Pirotess
                    • Dec 2001
                    • 4.1.x

Im having this exact same problem. Was there any resolution to this problem? It seems to me that the custom avatars are getting garbled during the dump and restore.

Comment

• Grover
                      • May 2001
                      • 3.8.x

Attention : I also have the exact same problem!

Today I encoutered the following problem when I tried to import my 3.0.7 production database into my 3.0.7 test database:

'ERROR 1153 (08S01) at line 222: Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes'

My database is 160 MB. My hostingprovider wrote a custom telnet script for me, because I cannot access mysql from the prompt. When I select the import-option in this script it does this:

mysql -u $USER -p dbasename < public_html/path/dump.sql

I made a dump of my production database and tried to import it in my testdatabase. This always worked, but not anymore. I think it has to do with the fact that my database is growing more and more.

But, my hostingprovider was kind enough to do a import for me from their side. So now I have an exact copy of database1 inside database2.

So I followed the exact steps 1,2,3 described by crabacus.
                      Everything went well.... except that ALL my avatars are screwed up badly. Just like crabacus showed. I store my avatars in the database.

What can be done about this?
                      Last edited by Grover; Sat 11 Jun '05, 1:38am.
                      How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

• Grover
                        • May 2001
                        • 3.8.x

I have filled a support ticket for this just now.

Comment

• Grover
                          • May 2001
                          • 3.8.x

Ah, sorry I didn't see the other reports about this problem earlier. More people have this problem and it has to do with MYSQL 4.1.x according to Steve :

Corrupt Attachements Mysql 4.1

I can not post it in the Bug Tracker cause it's not a VB bug , but if it was I would classify it as 'Major', no.... : 'Critical'.
                          Last edited by Grover; Sat 11 Jun '05, 3:38am.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

Grover, your problem is not the same as what was reported in this thread. Next time please start your own thread.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Grover
                              • May 2001
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                              Grover, your problem is not the same as what was reported in this thread. Next time please start your own thread.
                              Hi Steve,

I added the first part of my posting (the 'Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes'-error) there, because I thought that maybe this had something to do with the fact that I got corrupted avatars.

After reading your reply on my support ticket (thanks!) I realized my 'packet'-error has nothing to do with the corrupted avatars. But I didn't know that beforehand. That's why I put it in here also.

I will contact my host about the 'packet'-error, but the main problem that I had and still have are the corrupted avatars. That's what my posting is about in the end and what this thread is about : a solution for our corrupted avatars.

I realize this is not a VB3 problem, but a MySQL one. Hopefully there will be a solution shortly, because it's rather a major one.

Thanks for your support,

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...