Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quillz
    • Nov 2004
    • 5.0.X

And, as you've said, are more effective than you may think. Try using Google AdSense, too... It may sound odd, but I've gotten quite a bit of traffic through that program.
    Forums

Comment

• mickmel
      • Feb 2001

Here is something that we've been working on in the SitePoint forums. It's basically a a system that credits you for posting on other participant's forums, which moves you higher up on the list. Then others will post more on your forums (since you're high on the list) and you'll slowly move back down. The more you post on the other forums, the more that people will post on yours.

It's still in the early stages, but I think it has great potential.

A community for web designers and developers to discuss everything from HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, to Photoshop, SEO and more.

Thanks,
      Mickey
      Google Earth Hacks - Golf Nation
      Screen Dig - That's Pretty Dumb
      Tech Support Humor

Comment

• digitalhome
        • Aug 2004
        • 3.6.x

IMHO the best way to attract forum members is to Create content!

My forums are up to 6500 members, which considering its focus is on Canada, is quite a few. The site Digital Home Canada currently receives a lot of new visitors everyday from Google.

I think this is because I create a fair bit of content which gets crawled and then attracts people through google. On every content article I encourage readers to visit the Digital Forums and become members.

I suggest you have a main page to your site. Create a few articles on a regular basis. If your forums are about tibetan monasteries then do a few articles about tibetan monasteries. In each article encourage people to join the forums.

Obviously this requires a lot of work but who said it was easy!

Comment

• splooge
          • Mar 2001

Well lucky for me I bought a domain name years ago that's fairly popular among the gaming community. I haven't done one bit of advertising, though the spiders have crawled my site and I'm in the 6th position on google. I'm using a combination of vBMS and user promotions to attract posters. 5 posts gets you promoted to a usergroup with e-mail access.

It's all very much a project, was interested in seeing if I could start a community with basically nothing but a "General" forum and a popular domain name. I figure, instead of starting big with 20 empty forums, I'll start small with 1 forum and expand from there as needed. To me it seems to make the site look busier than it would if all my posts in the general forum were spread across 20 other forums.

Board started: Jan 6, 2005. 21 days ago.
          Threads: 39, Posts: 308, Members: 78
          46,000 hits or what I like to call "page draws"

It's a very generic setup, and my color scheme is terrible, so don't laugh.

http://www.pwned.com

Comment

• Lenni
            • Aug 2004
            • 3.6.x

yes, having less forums looks busier. it's very terrible to see a board with lots of empty forums.
            i started with a website, later added the forum, later removed the website. my forums are indexed by some search engines and are promoted through some links in signatures and toplists.
            selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

• HexOnxOnx
              • Apr 2003
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by digitalhome
              IMHO the best way to attract forum members is to Create content!

My forums are up to 6500 members, which considering its focus is on Canada, is quite a few. The site Digital Home Canada currently receives a lot of new visitors everyday from Google.

I think this is because I create a fair bit of content which gets crawled and then attracts people through google. On every content article I encourage readers to visit the Digital Forums and become members.

I suggest you have a main page to your site. Create a few articles on a regular basis. If your forums are about tibetan monasteries then do a few articles about tibetan monasteries. In each article encourage people to join the forums.

Obviously this requires a lot of work but who said it was easy!
              Content doesn't always make the differance. In three months I have had 3 members join up just to grab the content that is for members only. Not one post from these people. That forum has been up for a year and a half and is dead.

As far as the asminzone brought up in another post, it's a good idea but as soon as the new month starts the members who posted are gone, I have since closed up the forum that I had in the special posting thing. I think the last post anyone posted on it from the adminzone was Thanksgiving week.
              http://www.icecreamforum.com

Comment

• Bunny
                • Nov 2004

Advertising gets me too.

Comment

• BamaStangGuy
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2004
                  • 3.6.x

Word of mouth, can't beat it

Comment

• Pinguthepenguin
                    • Jan 2005

Yeah, they help out. They allow both sites to share their traffic.

Comment

• Cole2026
                      • Apr 2004
                      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by splooge
                      Well lucky for me I bought a domain name years ago that's fairly popular among the gaming community. I haven't done one bit of advertising, though the spiders have crawled my site and I'm in the 6th position on google. I'm using a combination of vBMS and user promotions to attract posters. 5 posts gets you promoted to a usergroup with e-mail access.

It's all very much a project, was interested in seeing if I could start a community with basically nothing but a "General" forum and a popular domain name. I figure, instead of starting big with 20 empty forums, I'll start small with 1 forum and expand from there as needed. To me it seems to make the site look busier than it would if all my posts in the general forum were spread across 20 other forums.

Board started: Jan 6, 2005. 21 days ago.
                      Threads: 39, Posts: 308, Members: 78
                      46,000 hits or what I like to call "page draws"

It's a very generic setup, and my color scheme is terrible, so don't laugh.

http://www.pwned.com
                      Dang, I just hit the 40 member mark, and opened in November 2004.

Page Rank of 4 too.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        Former Customer Support Manager
                        • Jul 2000

Just a note that this thread is for vB forums only.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• smoggy23uk
                          • Feb 2005

ohh im sorry i didnt know sorry again

Comment

• Vtec44
                            • Jan 2005
                            • 3.7.x

Ever since my last post here on this thread, my forum has reached 502 members. Not too bad
                            So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

• ThorstenA
                              • Nov 2004
                              • 4.0.x

My forums.

Some information about some of my forums:

Topic: Tandem Learning
                              You can chat with native people from germany, france, poland to improve your langage skills.
                              Statistics: One week online! Themen: 38, Beiträge: 300, Benutzer: 46

Cena domeny: do negocjacji. Oferta sprzedaży znajduje się w serwisie AfterMarket.pl, największej giełdzie domen internetowych w Polsce.

Topic: vBulletin Poland Fan Site
                              Just talk about vBulletin in polish.
                              Statics: Two month online. Odpowiedźi: 41, Posty: 180, Użytkownicy: 53

If anyone has suggestions what to do better, he's most welcome!
                              Last edited by ThorstenA; Thu 17 Feb '05, 4:22am.

Comment

• Unmutual
                                • Aug 2004
                                • 3.6.x

Join up to similar forums to yours and make contacts. But don't spam it....that's the kiss of death.
                                Homes-Spain

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...