Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShiningArcanine
    • Feb 2003

Originally posted by jb605
    Well, I already purchased a license. Now I realize that the search actually does not work at all, due to the way search is implemented in vB. Can anybody from the developing group shed some light on this?

Some attention must be paid on this before you can call vB a multi-byte characters compatible software.

My understanding is that this system use space as word delimiter, to break sentence into words, then index the words. However, many multibyte language, such as chinese, does not use space as word delimiter. So, there is no way for the system to index.

What I used to do with phpbb (unfortunately, no multibyte language support either) is to skip the system search, and go into the posts database directly and search in it using like or binary like.

Can any developers shed some light on how we might be able to use the current system to do a search on multibyte language which does not use space as word delimiter?
    vBulletin.org might be a better place to ask this question as the people there tend to make modifications to their vBulletin software.

Comment

• hkgwailo
      • Nov 2004

We are in a similar situation. Our site HAS to work in english & chinese big5. We've seen a pirate site in china offering a version of 3.03 that works in GB and big5. It's free but I REFUSE to use pirated software so I will not download it.

Since they stole your code, can't you return the favor and steal their double byte search and interface mods?

Comment

• ManagerJosh
        • Jun 2002

considering this is an old thread, sometimes you gotta keep your head up high and not stoop to their level
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• hkgwailo
          • Nov 2004

Sorry if you thought I was trying to flame. I'll look at the .org site and see if anyone has some ideas.

thanks.......

Comment

• jb605
            • Jan 2004

Frankly speaking, I think vBulletin.com is irresponsible in saying that I have to go to vbulletin.org for help. I purchased this software, and you claimed that it work with multibyte characters, and now it does not work. And you ask me to go somewhere else for help? That is not the way business should be operated!

Comment

• hkgwailo
              • Nov 2004

I found no help in the .org site, just discussions of that "chinese pirate" dist.

Sadly, I've discovered that the only version of VB that handles multibyte searches properly is a modified version of 3.03 modified in China (in Chinese) and downloadable from pirate "warez" sites in China.

AM I legal if I buy a VB licence and patch the pirates bug fixees into my purchaced copy of VB? Or do I be a bad guy and just use their package?

I'm usually very against piracy but in this case what am I to do?

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                • Jun 2002

Originally posted by hkgwailo
                I found no help in the .org site, just discussions of that "chinese pirate" dist.

Sadly, I've discovered that the only version of VB that handles multibyte searches properly is a modified version of 3.03 modified in China (in Chinese) and downloadable from pirate "warez" sites in China.

AM I legal if I buy a VB licence and patch the pirates bug fixees into my purchaced copy of VB? Or do I be a bad guy and just use their package?

That's illegal regardless. You risk loosing your license.

If it doesn't support multi-byte, post a suggestion feedback and see if it is a bug or can be added during the next build of vB3.
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                  • Jun 2002

Multibyte Searching?

Just wondering whether the current stock vB3 can handle multibyte searching..Apparently some customers want that feature :-/

IS there any Chinese sites using vb? I want to run multi-language (both English and Chinese) BB, how easy can I set up this using vB? I don't know php and sql yet. Can someones show me some example sites?

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                    Former vBulletin Developer
                    • May 2000
                    • 1.1.x

No one from the vB team directed you to go to that .org site, that was from a community member. You are free to patch your source code in whatever way you wish, as long as it doesn't violate anything listed in the license agreement. I suspect the code changes simply alter the queries to perform a full pagetext scan using LIKE, which is not server friendly. The best long term solution is probably to use the Fulltext search option coupled with MySQL 4.1.1, which has multibyte character support. I can not give you any real world results with that combination as I have not had time to test it.

Comment

• hkgwailo
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Freddie Bingham
                      No one from the vB team directed you to go to that .org site, that was from a community member. You are free to patch your source code in whatever way you wish, as long as it doesn't violate anything listed in the license agreement. I suspect the code changes simply alter the queries to perform a full pagetext scan using LIKE, which is not server friendly. The best long term solution is probably to use the Fulltext search option coupled with MySQL 4.1.1, which has multibyte character support. I can not give you any real world results with that combination as I have not had time to test it.
                      Thanks for the info. If my intention was to use the pirate version I would not be here.

If I'm going to use a program I intent to pay for it.

Hank

Comment

• wfp
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by hkgwailo

Is any mod around that can fix this search problem? Our users won't be pleased...

Comment

• msibm
                          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by wfp
                          Is any mod around that can fix this search problem? Our users won't be pleased...
                          Yes, It's really a big problem.

Comment

• Erwin
                            • Jan 2002

Install the MySQL fulltext search hack which can be found at vbulletin.org - that *should* work and offer some performance advantages as well as reduce database size.

Comment

• wfp
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Erwin
                              Install the MySQL fulltext search hack which can be found at vbulletin.org - that *should* work and offer some performance advantages as well as reduce database size.
                              We have and it does not work. I'm getting disgusted about this, you wont accept a bug report on this so I have to assume search capability in languages used by over half the worlds population is not a supported feature.

We bought this package to replace phpbb (which does support multibyte searches) because we feel it offers a better user experience. Now we discover only the hacks found in the chinese "pirate" version fixes this search function failure.

But we read if we use these hacks we risk losing our licence!

I thought a licenced paid user was free to modify the code as they wish. The chinese search hacks may have been written by "pirates" but they do work. The pirates break the law by using unlicenced software copyright by jelsoft. I'm a paid licenced user. If I patch the pirates software modification (which is not owned by Jelsoft) into my licenced copy of Vbb what licence condition am I violating?

Comment

• Floris
                                • Dec 2001

Hi there,

Thank you for the feedback which we take serious as we find that our clients often have the best ideas when it comes to new features and suggestions for vBulletin.

We take all suggestions into account when determining the feature set for new versions but unfortunately we cannot confirm whether a particular feature will be included in a version.

Feel free to email this 'patch' they apply to me through floris [at] vBulletin.com and we could review it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...