Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

I think my comment is quite clear.

You get to download any version released within the 12 months you have access.

If you now have version 3 and have 5 months left before the download access expires, and version 4 gets released tomorrow, you get to download version 4. If version 4 gets release in 7 months from now (2 months after your access expired) you have to renew for another 12 months for $30, if you want version 4.

Comment

• Andy Huang
      • Feb 2004

If you now have version 3 and have 5 months left before the download access expires, and version 4 gets released tomorrow, you get to download version 4. If version 4 gets release in 7 months from now (2 months after your access expired) you have to renew for another 12 months for $30, if you want version 4.
      Yes, that part I get, but what if say for example my host goes down w/o warning and I need to download 3.0.3 to get my site going again?
      Best Regards,
      Andy Huang

Comment

• Phrozen212
        • Feb 2004

Good stuff.. Although I think if phpbb 2.2 was released by now it wouldn't look so bad

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

No, you will not be able to download *any* version after your access expires. I recommend you keep a copy of the current zip file on your home PC.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

We are not responsible for your hosts downtime.

When you download version 3.0.1 and install it, we can assume you archive that .zip in case you need the files again to restore a backup. vBulletin also comes with a database backup feature so you can dump your data. In case your hosts go down. If version 3.0.3 is released and your download access has expired, you can use your backed up data and archived .zip - otherwise you have to renew the license in order to download the latest version.

For you the excuse could be 'my host was down', for someone else 'my dog at the web server', .. it is the responsibility of the customer to keep his data and details up to date.

Comment

• Andy Huang
              • Feb 2004

For you the excuse could be 'my host was down', for someone else 'my dog at the web server', .. it is the responsibility of the customer to keep his data and details up to date.
              :lmao: Alright, gotcha Better head home and download my backup version now!!!
              Best Regards,
              Andy Huang

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

It is always smart to have a backup, there is always risk of abuse, hacks, exploits, host down, bad upgrades, corruption in database, etc. If daily backups is a stress, make weekly, or monthly backups. Make sure you archive them properly, so you know which version it is from, what date it was made and what the backup is from, like: backup_vb3_forum_v303_sept_28_04.sql
                (vb3_forum is database name) (v303 is vb version) (sept_28_04 is date) and .sql indicates its a sql dump (and not a .zip of the forum files)

Comment

• Andy Huang
                  • Feb 2004

I have a crontab that is scheduled at midnight to export all database into sql files. Next step I want to do is make a php script that'd be executed through vb cron so it'd mail me that sql dump
                  Best Regards,
                  Andy Huang

Comment

• Floris
                    • Dec 2001

I am looking forward to a revised version of the first post.

Comment

• Andy Huang
                      • Feb 2004

Sorry, gonna need to disappoint you Floris. I forgot my host doesn't like CGI based forums, and the "test drive" for UBB is only user only, so I can't really review it. I am, however, poking around with the demo installation of WBB right now...

Updated it by adding a tiny blurp on WBB in each of the sections Gonna head for supper, will update the parts that I was uncertain about vB after that... Then I better go do Linear Algebra and backup my copy of vb303 original :P
                      Last edited by Andy Huang; Mon 27 Sep '04, 5:36pm.
                      Best Regards,
                      Andy Huang

Comment

• Aug 2004

Originally posted by Alfarin
                        Yes, but one thing I notice with vB is that it doesn't seem to have the options as IPB offered. With IPB, the forum admin can select how many address to send at once. I think it's allowing the admin to BCC 500 address, 250 address, 1000 address etc. based on the server's capability; I know my shared account server maxs out at around 800 address and then exim crashes... Is the same feature included in vB 3.0?
                        yes

you can specify how many mails are send with each batch-run
                        (standard: 500)

Comment

• Ghil Aelendir
                          • Sep 2004

Alfarin, my host accepts CGI so I'll give it a shot and make a review of it if you want...

Comment

• danew
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by Floris
                            We are not responsible for your hosts downtime.

When you download version 3.0.1 and install it, we can assume you archive that .zip in case you need the files again to restore a backup. vBulletin also comes with a database backup feature so you can dump your data. In case your hosts go down. If version 3.0.3 is released and your download access has expired, you can use your backed up data and archived .zip - otherwise you have to renew the license in order to download the latest version.

Assuming that I'm running a domain with 3.0.3, tomorrow my lisense expires and the day after tomorrow 3.0.4 comes out incluing "a very urgent security fix".
                            Then, I have a backup copy of vb 3.0.3 installation in my hard disk, but don't have a 3.0.4 one. And I can't access member's download area for 3.0.4 unless I renew my lisence, right?
                            So, in this case, I should upgrade my forum to 3.0.4 ASAP for the firm security. How can I get 3.0.4 in this case? Does it provided in "vBulletin 3 Fixes and Patches" forum? Or renewing lisence is the only way to get 3.0.4?
                            Last edited by danew; Tue 28 Sep '04, 3:59am.

Comment

Originally posted by danew
                              Assuming that I'm running a domain with 3.0.3, tomorrow my lisense expires and the day after tomorrow 3.0.4 comes out incluing "a very urgent security fix".
                              Then, I have a backup copy of vb 3.0.3 installation in my hard disk, but don't have a 3.0.4 one. And I can't access member's download area for 3.0.4 unless I renew my lisence, right?
                              So, in this case, I should upgrade my forum to 3.0.4 ASAP for the firm security. How can I get 3.0.4 in this case? Does it provided in "vBulletin 3 Fixes and Patches" forum? Or renewing lisence is the only way to get 3.0.4?
                              In most cases patches are issues in these forums in the new version's annoucment thread. Your download access to these boards never expires even if your license dose (asuming you have an owned license)

Comment

• Manannan
                                • Sep 2004

OK, OK, OK, ENOUGH ALREADY!

I just bought this damn thing

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...