Image problem...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KimBradshaw
    • Aug 2004

Other forum software works, but how come I can see other vB forums...on other domains, they are not in any Norton approved list. Can I get my money back?

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by KimBradshaw
      Other forum software works, but how come I can see other vB forums...on other domains, they are not in any Norton approved list. Can I get my money back?
      The problem is not vBulletins, the only thing i can maybe think of is that your using a full domain or an alternate domain so norton does not allow remote images.

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

I just browsed through the three public styles and all images show.

If you recently moved your site from one ip to the other it is possible you are having dns cache issues.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Dec 2000

I can see Norton Blocking images posted by users that aren't on the same domain. That would be due to Norton being at the highest setting, but images uploaded by the user should work.
          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

With Norton enabled (NIS 2004) I cannot see the images on this site:

This includes this one which is hosted on the same domain:

I get a '403 Forbidden' error with that URL. With Norton off, the images show up.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• kimberly
              • May 2002

I have been in the middle of this problem for a 4 days straight now. And I think I know what it is related to...its not a vBulletin or a Norton problem per se. It I think is a port problem what some hosts have configured. Do any of you have :443 port at the end of your IP address? Do you have an SSL Cert on the domain?

Can you call your forums and see the images when you use https:// etc, etc?

Please let us know, this issue has been bugging me for days, days, days,, :-)

Emai Me? As I am struggling with the server people on this

kim @ pilotjourney.com

Comment

• nepolia
                • Apr 2003
                • 3.5.x

My users have been experiencing this problem for a couple of days now. Avatars, smileys, post icons, everything was missing so I had to disable most images to stop the posts from stretching too far.
                I know the images weren't missing, as I could see them myself, and so could most users. I even tried to send them to the image address and they would just be redirected to index.php for some odd reason.

However.. I've noticed there's a link between the users.
                1. They all use Norton.
                2. They all got SP2 (Service Pack 2 for WinXP that is) installed.

I'm just looking into it now, will let you know if I find anything that works.

Comment

• nepolia
                  • Apr 2003
                  • 3.5.x

Could also be related to hotlinking, as we did turn this off just a few days ago. No idea how Norton works, but anything seems to set it off.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                    • Dec 2000

What version of norton?
                    If they right click and choose show image do they appear?
                    If they copy the URL of the image and put it in the browser does it show up?
                    Does the privacy icon show at the bottom right of IE?

Its hard to find out whats causing it when we can't reproduce it.
                    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

Scott, for futher info please see my post #20.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• nepolia
                        • Apr 2003
                        • 3.5.x

Scott, version 2003 and 2004. And no images can be seen no matter how you do it, no direct link, nothing. I don't know about the privacy icon, didn't ask.

And it's easy to reproduce, just a matter of changing some settings in Norton/setting them to default.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                          • Dec 2000

hmm I guess i'll go buy a copy of the Norton then and see.

Norton Internet Suite??

I'm guess norton might be stopping it from sending some headers which the server needs but thats just a guess.
                          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• nepolia
                            • Apr 2003
                            • 3.5.x

Norton Internet Security. And I'm positive it has something to do with the hotlinking, even if the images are in the /images folder, the problems started just hours after I disabled hotlinking.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              • Jul 2000

Norton Internet Security 2004

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                                • Dec 2000

Actually yes its hotlinking protection I just remembered.

HTTP_REFERRER is stripped when Norton is enabled and thats whats used for hotlinking detection.

You really need to allow blank referrer or referrer == your domain
                                Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...