Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jasmin
    • Apr 2004

Similar threads not completely realtime -- only half updating

Hi. First, I'd like to say I LOVE similar threads! It's a major reason I bought vB.

There's something I can't figure out, though.

If I post two threads, both with the same title, in the newest one, I'll see the link under Similar Threads to the oldest thread with the same title the very second afer it's posted.

When I check the older thread, Similar Threads does not show the new post with the same title.

So it's only half updating. Similar Threads works perfectly, however, with full two way linking after I update it under the Update Counters menu.

My question is... is there any way to make it fully update all the time like it does for the search engine? I never have "Rebuild Search Index", it's updated instantly.

Will I have to go into my CP daily and "Rebuild Similar Threads"? If so, is there a way to update this automatically, perhaps through cron?

Thanks!
    Jas
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

In the Admin CP:

Automatic Similar Thread Search
    Setting this option will cause a search for similar threads to be automatically done when a new thread is posted. These similar threads are then linked to from the newly posted thread's page. This can have an effect on performance.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Jasmin
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      In the Admin CP:

Automatic Similar Thread Search
      Setting this option will cause a search for similar threads to be automatically done when a new thread is posted. These similar threads are then linked to from the newly posted thread's page. This can have an effect on performance.
      Darn. I already had that on, under Message Searching Options.

Again, it finds similar threads for the very latest thread. It just doesn't update the Similar Threads of the older threads. So it's doing it half right.

Maybe there's a bug?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Sorry I don't really understand the problem from your description. Did you or did you not rebuild similar threads?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Jasmin
          • Apr 2004

Sorry I don't really understand the problem from your description. Did you or did you not rebuild similar threads?
          In one test, I had to reuild similar threads to get all similar threads to show.

In my latest test, I did not rebuild similar threads.

The test works like this.

I post a message, let's say with the title "Test". It is message #1.

Under message #1, no similar threads will show yet because there aren't any yet.

I post another message message, with the same title "Test". This is message #2.

When I view message #2, the moment after I post it, it shows a similar thread. It shows that message #1 is similar.

When I view message #1, it shows there are no similar threads.

If I go to Rebuild Similar Threads under Update Counters, message #1 will start to show message #2 in it's Similar Threads view.

So similars threads updating only works to update newer messages (in this case #2), and not older messages (in this case, #1). An update under Update Counters is needed to add similar threads to older messages -- full crosslinking. I don't know if this is normal. If it is, I'd love a way to automate it, so I don't have to manually go into Update Counters everyday to update the similar threads.

If you'd like, you can open an account on my forum to test this out yourself. Post two messages with the exact same title, then examine each for similar threads. You'll see for yourself that similar threads are only generated for the latest message posted. PM me or look up my vbulletin details for my forum addy.

Thanks!

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

The simiar threads search is run once and only once unless you for an update. They will never have smiliar threads added to the ones that are already there.

Comment

• Jasmin
              • Apr 2004

How to automate rebuilding?

Originally posted by Zachery
              They will never have smiliar threads added to the ones that are already there.
              Oh, ok...

So is there any way to run the Rebuild Similar Threads function automatically, say, once a night? Via cron or something?

I like it when the older ones are fully crosslinked, too. Similar threading is pretty awesome when it's database is fully populated.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

There is no way to do this and it's not needed. Just run it once then as long as this function is enabled all new threads will be indexed. it works the same as the search index, which also doesn't need to be rebuilt every day.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Jasmin
                  • Apr 2004

There is no way to do this and it's not needed. Just run it once then as long as this function is enabled all new threads will be indexed. it works the same as the search index, which also doesn't need to be rebuilt every day.
                  I don't understand. You and Zachery are saying different things.

The whole point of this thread is that doesn't work fully unless I rebuild similar threads. It only half works instantly (on new threads). The other half works (giving older posts similar threads links) post rebuild.

If it's supposed to add similar threads to both old and new posts when a new post occurs, then there's either something wrong with my install or the vbulletin code (any users out there that can comment on the behaviour of your vb3). I sent you a pm with my board url. Since this seems to be getting nowhere, maybe I should submit a ticket.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Jasmin
                    I don't understand. You and Zachery are saying different things.
                    Actually this is not correct as written:

Originally posted by Zachery
                    The simiar threads search is run once and only once unless you for an update. They will never have smiliar threads added to the ones that are already there.
                    Also what does this mean exactly:

Originally posted by Jasmin
                    The whole point of this thread is that doesn't work fully unless I rebuild similar threads. It only half works instantly (on new threads). The other half works (giving older posts similar threads links) post rebuild.
                    As I stated earlier if this function is enabled, you only need to rebuild similar threads once. After this it is automatic.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

P.S. You also need to rebuilt the search index, particularly if this was an upgrade from vB2.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Jasmin
                        • Apr 2004

P.S. You also need to rebuilt the search index, particularly if this was an upgrade from vB2.
                        This is a brand new install, and it simply doesn't work as you describe.

I described the behaviour of it step by step in this post http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...42&postcount=5

This is so immensely easy and instant to see when you do a test, it's just ridiculous to describe (or understand the description)!

Because of this... I have filed a ticket.

Post two topics with the same title exact title on my forum, and witness the behaviour first hand.

Only the newer of your two posts will have a similar thread listed. The older one will only have the newer post listed as a similar thread ONLY AFTER you go to Update Counters, Rebuild Similar threads.

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

I Think this is how it works, or it was last time it was explained it to me:
                          If smiliar threads is enabled, a query is run and it searches for smiliar threads, then adds the small bottom part, this query is only run ONCE, and that is when the new thread is being made. There for, it should never have new similiar threads added, it was designed this way, as far as i know.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

Please provide the info I requested in the support ticket so I can investigate.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...