• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TxDis
    • Oct 2003
    • 3.0.0 Beta 6

Originally posted by Pogo
    Please verify that your IPB quote code is similar to this:

<!--QuoteBegin-Guest+Dec 6 2003, 09:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Dec 6 2003, 09:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Need appointments to lower telephone rates of prospects...
    That was it exactly.

My apologies for the late reply, Pogo. Had some problems accessing this site for some time.

The script worked perfectly. No time out issues and everything looks beautiful now. And to think I was editing each post by hand...a lesson learned for someone like myself who would rather have teeth pulled than come here and ask a question.

Thank you.

Comment

• welo
      • Sep 2003
      • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

I updated this document slightly tonight by inlcuding an SQL query that fixes the numbered list parsing error after conversion and upgrade:

Code:
      UPDATE vb3_post SET pagetext = REPLACE(pagetext,'<ol type=\'1\'>','[[i]list=1[/i]]');
      UPDATE vb3_post SET pagetext = REPLACE(pagetext,'</li>','');
      UPDATE vb3_post SET pagetext = REPLACE(pagetext,'</ol>','[[i]/list[/i]]');
      That will take all the garbage out and make numbered lists render like they're supposed to. One thing I still need to track down once I find it again, is there remains a slight conversion error with Edited by... messages, where they appear as comment tags instead. E.g.:

<!-- Edited by blah person on whenever 2003 -->

**edited by throwing i tags inside the list tags to make the code parse correctly**
      Last edited by welo; Tue 20 Jan '04, 9:14am.
      "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
      It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

• Pogo
        • May 2001

welo: Thanks for pointing that out. I updated the (german) importscript to take care of numbered lists and the edited comment which is now shown in the usual form in the post. I think this is an old format used in earlier IPB's.

Now the new edit note format is imported, too.

I will contact Jerry to update the importscript for vb.com.
        this is my sig

Comment

• welo
          • Sep 2003
          • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Originally posted by Pogo
          I think this is an old format used in earlier IPB's.
          I think you're right. There are a number of us out there who have gone through several generations of IPB. When I started on mine it was pre-1.0, so I guess they adjusted the code for a few things to pick up the slack for not converting the actual data. The deal with the numbered list is odd though, because I don't think IPB created numbered lists until 1.2.

Care to tell me what your "edit by" fix is?

P.S. Forgive the butchered query posted above (VB parsed the code tags needing replaced). Attached is a txt file with the right query for those who might be confused. It's correct in the conversion document in step 3 under "Database Cleanup."
          Attached Files

Comment

• Pogo
            • May 2001

Originally posted by welo
            Care to tell me what your "edit by" fix is?
            I added this to function unconvert()
            PHP Code:
            $post preg_replace('#<!--EDIT\|([^"]*)\|([^"]*)-->#siU''Last edited by \\1 at \\2'$post); 
            Sure you could parse the name and date, convert it into userid and timestamp so that it shows up like the normal edit notes. But this info is not important enough to cause so much trouble.
            this is my sig

Comment

• welo
              • Sep 2003
              • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Got it. Thanks man.

Comment

• welo
                • Sep 2003
                • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Slight update to this. I guess there's a slight change 2.3.4's data handling, because this instruction had to be adjusted to replace the <br /> tags with regular <br>s. Otherwise the board would just write them and the subsequent line of the import script converting <br>s to /n wouldn't work.

I also just stumbled across a horrendous parse error due to IPB's quote embedding that the importer doesn't address (since vB doesn't support quote embedding I guess nobody thought of it). Anyway, after running the adjusted importer, data still exists that looks like:

[quote][i]Originally posted by Person1+Dec 31 2003, 10:48 PM--></div><table border=\'0\' align=\'center\' width=\'95%\' cellpadding=\'3\' cellspacing=\'1\'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Person1 @ Dec 31 2003, 10:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id=\'QUOTE\'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Person2@Dec 30 2003, 11:33 AM[/i]\nOriginal quote[/quote]\nNext Quote[/quote]\nReply is here
                and renders like:

quote:
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally posted by Person1+Dec 31 2003, 10:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Person1 @ Dec 31 2003, 10:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Person2@Dec 30 2003, 11:33 AM
                Original quote
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next quote[/quote]
                Reply is here
                Pogo, I suppose this is the part where I hope you have another magic query/script stashed away to fix this . Since the error is pretty much identical to the original one, I tried just executing your preg_replace string a second time to see if that fixed it. No dice.
                Last edited by welo; Wed 21 Jan '04, 10:22am.

Comment

• cybermomcafe
                  • Mar 2003

Just wanted to say THANKS! I ran thru this on my testboard lastnight in preparation for the "real thing" and it went flawlessly!

Thank you welo!

Comment

• welo
                    • Sep 2003
                    • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Glad it helped . I haven't tested this on RC4 yet. I assume this is the version you used? if so I'll adjust the document to reflect it indeed works there.

We almost have a script ready that will fix the sub-sub quote embedding glitch too, although if you had quote embedding turned off on your IPB it shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

• cybermomcafe
                      • Mar 2003

Yep, used rc4... works fine.

I believe quote embedding was disabled, so I wouldn't have noticed that.

Comment

• welo
                        • Sep 2003
                        • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Okay . Thanks for confirming.

Comment

• SaN-DeeP
                          • Dec 2003
                          • 1.1.x

check this post on my forums please
                          It needs to be fixed
                          i ran the quotefix.php file. which fixed a few quotes but not all.

infact quotefix.php runs fine. but it doesnt fixes users replies who have embeded multiple quotes

Thnx
                          Sandy...
                          Last edited by SaN-DeeP; Sun 21 Mar '04, 5:03am.
                          TechArena - TechArena Community - Technology News - Tools Download - Tech Video - Gamer Guide - Hardware Review

Comment

• welo
                            • Sep 2003
                            • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Hi Sandy. Out of curiosity is your server running register_globals off? The quotefix script worked fine for me on lots of test runs, and it just occurred to me the only things that changed between when I first started testing this process and the live import were the VB 2.3.4 release, and setting register_globals off on my server at the beginning of the year. I hadn't even dawned on me to look at that script once making the switch. All this time I've been blaming it on something that went on with VB 2.3.4.

Comment

• SaN-DeeP
                              • Dec 2003
                              • 1.1.x

Originally posted by welo
                              Hi Sandy. Out of curiosity is your server running register_globals off? The quotefix script worked fine for me on lots of test runs, and it just occurred to me the only things that changed between when I first started testing this process and the live import were the VB 2.3.4 release, and setting register_globals off on my server at the beginning of the year. I hadn't even dawned on me to look at that script once making the switch. All this time I've been blaming it on something that went on with VB 2.3.4.
                              hi welo,
                              register_globals ?? how can i turn it on.
                              where can i check it ? please let me know.

Thnx.
                              Sandy...
                              TechArena - TechArena Community - Technology News - Tools Download - Tech Video - Gamer Guide - Hardware Review

Comment

• Steve Machol
                                Former Customer Support Manager
                                • Jul 2000

You can check this in your phpinfo page. In the Admin CP, open the Server Settings and Optimization Options section and turn on the Public phpinfo() Display Enabled setting. Then provide the URL to your forums.
                                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...