This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RyanD789
    • Jan 2002

I'm getting these errors now too when somebody tries to do a search for a keyword and also a username at the same time...

"Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 7 bytes) in /htdocs/search.php on line 442

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 43 bytes) in /htdocs/admin/db_mysql.php on line 77
    "

What should I do? Change the php.ini memory allowance? Anything else? We average 400 - 500 users online at a time.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Bodybuilding.com

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

Did you follow the instruction posted in this thread?

And for help with optimizing your server, please see this thread:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• KarateKid[WBC]
        • Aug 2001
        • 3.0.0 Beta 7

my memory_limit is set to 30M, but I get sometimes this error when using search.php

How can I fix this?

Best Regards

Sebastian

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by KarateKid[WBC]
          my memory_limit is set to 30M, but I get sometimes this error when using search.php

How can I fix this?

Best Regards

Sebastian
          With the information supplied we really wouldn't know how to fix it. We need to know what script you were using when you got the error, what the action was (posting, searching, etc...), what the server load was including available memory, version of PHP, number of users online and any other information you can give us about your server.

That being said, how many search results do you have the system set to return?
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• KarateKid[WBC]
            • Aug 2001
            • 3.0.0 Beta 7

script: search.php
            action: searching in all forums for string: "die legende lebt"
            server load: hm, I don't know exactly, because a user reported that bug. But my loads are generally low, maybe 0.20
            users online: same as above, between 60 and 90 online
            php: 4.2.2
            the user made a screenshot: I will attach it.
            vbulletin version: vb3 RC2
            Attached Files

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
              Former vBulletin Developer
              • Dec 2000

This is a limitation of the search system that won't be fixed until we switch to MySQL Full text searching.

There are simply too many matches on one of the phrases.
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• KarateKid[WBC]
                • Aug 2001
                • 3.0.0 Beta 7

hm okay, so could you tell me when will you do this switch in search function? With Gold Version, or later? What can I tell my members? This error seems to occur often and did not happen with vb2.

Comment

• Acido
                  • Sep 2003

I have followed carefully the instructions in this topic and I raise the memory limit to 16 MB

But now i'm getting this error message:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 8 bytes) in /www/webconferencia.com.ar/htdocs/foros/includes/functions.php on line 2783

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 0 bytes) in Unknown on line 0
                  This happen when i click in : View Forum Leaders at this link:

http://www.webconferencia.net/foros/showgroups.php?

How fix it ?

Comment

• LD1
                    • Feb 2002

i just moved to a new server today and a ton of my users are reporting this error. fyi, i've only got 11 forums active, one extra member group (ontributing members), and no avatars or signatures. search is limited to moderators. no who's online for anyone.

i have not et changed php.ini -- i'm still working on moving the site over.

here are the errors our folks began reporting almost immediately after moving to the new (bigger, beter, dedicated) server:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 737280 bytes) in /home/httpd/vhosts/thisboardrocks.com/httpdocs/forum/showthread.php(1628) : eval()'d code on line 335

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 15 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

or...

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 184320 bytes) in /home/httpd/vhosts/thisboardrocks.com/httpdocs/forum/includes/functions_showthread.php(682) : eval()'d code on line 99

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 0 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

or...

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 46080 bytes) in /home/httpd/vhosts/thisboardrocks.com/httpdocs/forum/forumdisplay.php(242) : eval()'d code on line 29

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 0 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

You will need to edit php.ini to allow a larger memory size.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• LD1
                        • Feb 2002

is 16 OK, or should i just go for more right off the bat?

did you ever figure out what is causing this? seems like the common thread is a new server.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

Start with 16M and see if you still have this problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Oblivion Knight
                            • Oct 2002
                            • 3.8.x

I'd just like to say a thankyou to the vBulletin Team..
                            Increasing the allowed memory size in php.ini fixed an error I was getting when trying to rebuild attachment thumbnails. Just goes to show that the search button is your friend..

Comment

• Jimmy D. Giles
                              • Aug 2003

I have read this thread but would greatly appreciate a bottom line netted out answer to fix the following error message that I am receiving:
                              Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 184320 bytes) in /home/httpd/vhosts/rebelarmy.com/httpdocs/forums/includes/functions_showthread.php on line 490

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 15 bytes) in Unknown on line 0
                              And please be specific. I don't have access to my server. Is this something that only the server can fix? I can't increase the memory size to 16 MB can I in the admin area? Dumb questions I know. But I'm a dummy.

Comment

• George L
                                Former vBulletin Support
                                • May 2000
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Jimmy D. Giles
                                I have read this thread but would greatly appreciate a bottom line netted out answer to fix the following error message that I am receiving:
                                Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 184320 bytes) in /home/httpd/vhosts/rebelarmy.com/httpdocs/forums/includes/functions_showthread.php on line 490

And please be specific. I don't have access to my server. Is this something that only the server can fix? I can't increase the memory size to 16 MB can I in the admin area? Dumb questions I know. But I'm a dummy.
                                you need root system admin privileges to edit php.ini on the server to increase memory limit to 16M and restart Apache

you'd need to contact your web host if you don't have access
                                :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                                :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                                :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...