X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Elleir
    They gave both the Editor's Choice Award and the Best Buy award to a new product named InBoxer (http://www.inboxer.com).
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

Edit: It doesn't work with Outlook Express and I'm too lazy to change right now.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• DWZ
      • Jan 2002

Originally posted by HostOrbit
      cPanel pro will come with a script that will help block spam.
      There is a pro version of cPanel?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

I checked the CPanel home page and found no mention of CPanel Pro.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• TJF
          • Jun 2001

I just use Eudora and it filters probably with 98% all spam into the Junk mail folder. It's much easier to go through those messages them and then delete them. Occasionally a legit email will get into the Junk box and then you can just click 'Not Junk'.

I have tried Mailwasher and really didn't notice any less spam with it.

Comment

• merk
            • Jul 2001

Steve and anyone else concerned with the system that has been mentioned in cpanel pro-

It is called "challenge/response" and while i am yet to actually find software that does it, theres alot out there in google (once i knew what to look for).

http://www.templetons.com/brad/spam/...eresponse.html was one of the best writeups, and explains that you shouldnt just rely on it, but use multiple addresses for multiple purposes.

If anyone finds such a system for qmail please give me a holler

Comment

• Raz Meister
              • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Kier
              I used to rely on SpamAssassin at the server level, but in the past few months it became more and more useless.

I installed SpamBayes (which acts as a plug in to Outlook) and haven't had a problem with Spam since I installed it. I receive around 3,000 spam messages per day on one of my accounts, and SpamBayes catches all of them.

The best thing about it is that it is trained on your own mail, so the filters it dynamically builds are based around the kind of spam you get, rather than some generic idea of what constitutes spam.

I found that the best way to train it is to collect a few thousand spam messages (I used about 7,000) and dump them in a folder, then tell SpamBayes to read that folder as spam, and all your other folders as legitimate mail - just make sure that the 'legitimate' folders you use don't contain any spam or exceptions will be made to allow those type of spams through.
              SpamAssassin includes a Bayes filter. It's not switched on until you train it with about 200 messages or so. You should also switch on the autowhitelist feature.

I just did these recently and have not got one single spam delivered to my Inbox.
              Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Update:

I had tried SpamAssassin several months ago but it was not doing a good job. I enabled it again last week and I have to say it's working great. I have it set aggressively (3.4) and it is catching about 95-98% of all spam. I've only had two false positives during that time and neither one was an important email.

So I'd have to give SpamAssassin a thumbs up and recommend it to anyone who has this available on their server.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Ksilebo
                  • May 2001

Spamnet is looking sexy. I might give it a shot. It and SpamAssassin combined should be quite unbeatable.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
                  http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

• Raz Meister
                    • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    Update:

I had tried SpamAssassin several months ago but it was not doing a good job. I enabled it again last week and I have to say it's working great. I have it set aggressively (3.4) and it is catching about 95-98% of all spam. I've only had two false positives during that time and neither one was an important email.

So I'd have to give SpamAssassin a thumbs up and recommend it to anyone who has this available on their server.
                    Did you enable the DNS tests and Baysian rules?
                    Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Raz Meister
                      Did you enable the DNS tests and Baysian rules?
                      Actually there's no option to do this in CPanel.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Raz Meister
                        • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                        Actually there's no option to do this in CPanel.
                        You'll have to do this manually on the server then. Do the following and put your threshold back to 5.0 and you should get close to 100% detection.

For the DNS blacklist check (which helps a LOT) you need to install the Net:NS perl module. More info here: http://www.spamassassin.org/full/2.6x/dist/INSTALL (Net:NS section)

For the bayesian rules to come into affect you need to train Spamassassin (via sa-learn) with some non-spam and spam mail you have got (at least 300 messages). More info here: http://www.spamassassin.org/doc/sa-learn.html

Also consider installing DCC, which checks their spam database. More info here: http://www.spamassassin.org/full/2.6x/dist/INSTALL (DCC section)

Then add the following to /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf file
                        Code:
                        dns_available   yes

use_pyzor       0
                        use_razor2      0
                        use_dcc         1

score RCVD_IN_RBL               10
                        score RCVD_IN_RSS               1
                        score RCVD_IN_DUL               1
                        score RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET    3

ok_languages    en
                        ok_locales      en

auto_whitelist_path        /etc/mail/spamassassin/auto-whitelist
                        auto_whitelist_file_mode   0666

bayes_path              /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes
                        bayes_file_mode         0666
                        use_bayes               1
                        auto_learn              1
                        Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

Thanks. I'll check this out when I have a chance. However it's wotrking pretty darn good right now.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• sabret00the
                            • Jan 2003

my problems via my personal addresses are quite good, it's just via my yahoo addy i got the real problems

Comment

• chrispadfield
                              • Aug 2000

I have reading this i tried the cloudmark spamnet and can't say that I am very impressed. It is marking lots of autogenerated emails as spam when they are clearly not (paypal, vbulletin forum messages (in fact pretty much any forum) etc. When you unmark it as spam it suggests something along the line that other people have marked this as spam, are you sure you want to? I guess therein lines the problem with the system, people will just mark something they don't want to get anymore as spam, and this then gets sent to everyone so be careful with any newsletter or autogenerated email you get, you probably won't get it anymore.

I have also had quite a lot of false +ves (very bad) for just normal emails and it is missing masses of spam (particularly of the form of the big image and then lots of random text type). All in all, not that impressed.
                              Christopher Padfield
                              Web Based Helpdesk
                              DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• jimmayhugh
                                • Oct 2001

Originally posted by merk
                                Are you aware of any of these solutions for qmail by any chance Martz?
                                I use a combination of TMDA and rblsmtpd with qmail and it works pretty well for me.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...