Double registration? What can you make of this ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • N9ne
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.5.0 Beta

Code:
    SELECT password FROM user WHERE userid = x or userid = y
    Run that query to get the password hashes, replace x and y with their userids.

Comment

• DarkDelight.net
      • Jul 2003

[edit]

n/m

N9ne got there first

Are you bored again?

[/edit]

You can compare two user's password hashes with this query:

SELECT userid, username, password FROM user WHERE userid = x OR userid = y;

where 'x' and 'y' are the userids of the two users.
      Sig? What sig?

Comment

• Tolitz
        • Dec 2000

Originally posted by DarkDelight.net
        that would mean he is cheating by registering twice, which is what Stark wants to know.
        That's what I was implying ... comparing the password hashes may turn out to be a longshot too, depending on how paranoid or smart the user is...

If he had some browser detection hack in WOL, he can also get an idea from it - if they are both using IE while viewing the page at the same time and are viewing different pages, then most likely they are two different users, since the same browser can only be cookied one user at a time ... unless there is some other exploit to this that I don't know about
        OPEN TECH SUPPORT
        "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

• DarkDelight.net
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Tolitz
          That's what I was implying ... comparing the password hashes may turn out to be a longshot too, depending on how paranoid or smart the user is...
          Sorry. I thought you were saying that one person with one account and two browser windows open would show up think this.
          Sig? What sig?

Comment

• N9ne
            • Mar 2002
            • 3.5.0 Beta

Originally posted by Tolitz

If he had some browser detection hack in WOL, he can also get an idea from it - if they are both using IE while viewing the page at the same time and are viewing different pages, then most likely they are two different users, since the same browser can only be cookied one user at a time ... unless there is some other exploit to this that I don't know about
            I wouldn't put anything past IE

Comment

• stark427
              • Aug 2002

Ok I run the query. The password hashes seem different.

Now I might have messed up with something :

Accidentally I clicked at the "Fulltext" link at the database - at the user table / in the password field I got this (as shown at the screenie) : An index has been added on password SQL-query : [Edit] [Create PHP Code] ALTER TABLE `user` ADD FULLTEXT ( `password` ) Urm, I have no idea what this is and if this

should I worry ?

Comment

• N9ne
                • Mar 2002
                • 3.5.0 Beta

Originally posted by stark427
                Ok I run the query. The password hashes seem different.

Now I might have messed up with something :

Accidentally I clicked at the "Fulltext" link at the database - at the user table / in the password field I got this (as shown at the screenie) : An index has been added on password SQL-query : [Edit] [Create PHP Code] ALTER TABLE `user` ADD FULLTEXT ( `password` ) Urm, I have no idea what this is and if this

should I worry ?
                Try and remove the index, not sure how but I'm sure there's a way...

Comment

• stark427
                  • Aug 2002

Originally posted by N9ne
                  Try and remove the index, not sure how but I'm sure there's a way...
                  I wouldn't know how, either

Comment

• DarkDelight.net
                    • Jul 2003

Go back into the user table in phpmyadmin and scroll down to something that looks like the attachment here.

Drop the index or fulltext on password if they exist. (marked in yellow)

DO NOT drop the table! (red x)
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by DarkDelight.net; Sat 6 Sep '03, 5:18am.
                    Sig? What sig?

Comment

• Gavin.
                      • Jul 2003
                      • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Heh - not that is has a whole lot to do with it, but on my forum we've banned hotmail and yahoo addresses - seems to have cut down on the trolling and stuff - and I mean c'mon everyone who uses the internet should have a real email addy no matter what
                      http://www.platinum-central.com
                      http://www.netforge.com.au

Comment

• stark427
                        • Aug 2002

Go back into the user table in phpmyadmin and scroll down to something that looks like the attachment here.

Drop the index or fulltext on password if they exist. (marked in yellow)

DO NOT drop the table! (red x)
                        thank you

Comment

• DarkDelight.net
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by stark427
                          thank you
                          You're quite welcome.
                          Sig? What sig?

Comment

• stark427
                            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Gavin.
                            Heh - not that is has a whole lot to do with it, but on my forum we've banned hotmail and yahoo addresses - seems to have cut down on the trolling and stuff - and I mean c'mon everyone who uses the internet should have a real email addy no matter what
                            My target groups is 99% Greek people.
                            Now consider these :

In Greece they still advertise ISDN 64 and 128 (insert !!!!!! + LOL here), and it's been less than 5-6 months that ADSL is available... but it is available at prices that are ridiculously HIGH (you won't believe how expensive it is). As for CABLE, Greek home users have no idea what it is
                            Not all companies have broadband, or Internet at all - sometimes, there.
                            That said, along with some other annoying facts, can easily lead to the conclusion that Greek people are not really familiar with Internet, at least not as much as people from other countries.

Now, I have 550 members : 170+ of them are using hotmail addresses. 124 use yahoo addresses. That is : almost 300 out of my 550 members are using those 2 domains.
                            So, excluding/banning them, would be like killing my board

p.s. so happy I live in London

Comment

• DarkDelight.net
                              • Jul 2003

You can ban a domain so that future users can't use it and still allow existing users to keep banned addresses.
                              Sig? What sig?

Comment

• stark427
                                • Aug 2002

You can ban a domain so that future users can't use it and still allow existing users to keep banned addresses.
                                Yes but still, considering that most Greek people have Yahoo and Hotmail as primary emails... it would probably piss them off to see that they cannot use them to register, right? (talking about the new users)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...