Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mabdalla
    • Mar 2003

How do I support chinese fourms?

We already have English vbulletin instance. Can I use the same instance to support the chinese fourm? Which php files should I change for that? Do you have any upgrade package or steps? We are running with vBulletin 2.2.9 Thanks
  • Brian Briscoe

This is very hard to do in vBulletin 2 versions since there is no main language system that you can change. You might want to check at vBulletin.org for something like this. Once vB 3 is released there will be support for these types of languages.

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

Currently vB only comes in English. Customizing it for other languages requires modifying the templates as well as some of the php scripts. To do this you would need to go into all the templates and translate the words to your own language and character set. You will also need to translate some of the language in the php files.

However when vB 3.0 is released (no set release date yet), it will have the ability to easily
      create and share Language Packs. All the language is being taken out of the templates and php files and out into a separate Language Pack. With this, all you will need to do is translate the words and phrases to your own language just one time and this will work with all vB 3.0 styles and template sets.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• GoldenHammer
        • Nov 2002

Thats is great feature, would it be possible that each user can individually select their preference style in different language?

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        Currently vB only comes in English. Customizing it for other languages requires modifying the templates as well as some of the php scripts. To do this you would need to go into all the templates and translate the words to your own language and character set. You will also need to translate some of the language in the php files.

However when vB 3.0 is released (no set release date yet), it will have the ability to easily
        create and share Language Packs. All the language is being taken out of the templates and php files and out into a separate Language Pack. With this, all you will need to do is translate the words and phrases to your own language just one time and this will work with all vB 3.0 styles and template sets.
        http://www.photos-of-the-year.com/

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

Originally posted by GoldenHammer
          Thats is great feature, would it be possible that each user can individually select their preference style in different language?
          Yes, this is a user option.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Tony
            • Feb 2001
            • 3.6.x

So if I want to set up a couple of sub forums for the different languages. I would have to know that language to do this? And could I see those forums in english and they can see it in thier languages.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

Language Packs will not translate posts made in another language. They will only translate the vB language, i.e., 'Report Post', 'Last Thread, etc.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Tony
                • Feb 2001
                • 3.6.x

Language Packs will not translate posts made in another language. They will only translate the vB language, i.e., 'Report Post', 'Last Thread, etc.
                So i could have different forums in different Languages with vb3.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Kind of. Each user can choose his or her own Language Pack with which to view your forums. However this wil NOT translate the posts from one language to another.

If you need to change character set for a particular forum, you can create a style set for that language and force that forum to use this style.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Tony
                    • Feb 2001
                    • 3.6.x

The Language Pack changes all language on the forum and not the posts?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

That's correct as I stated above:

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Tony
                        • Feb 2001
                        • 3.6.x

That's correct as I stated above:
                        Ok cool thanks, now I'm on the same page

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...