[Release v2.0.3] Show both IP name and IP address; link IP to search for other users

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JJR512
    • Dec 2000

[Release v2.0.3] Show both IP name and IP address; link IP to search for other users

vB 2.0.3 has a new Who's Online feature that can show you what the online people are actually doing. Part of this feature includes the ability for authorized people to see the IP address of each person. The IP display is a switchable feature that can show you either the numeric address (the four groups of numbers), or it can show you the resolved address, which is a text-based version of the address, from which you can usually tell who is the ISP and the general physical location of the computer using that address.

For some reason, I decided that I wanted to see both the number and the name at the same time. I also thought it would be neat if you could click on the address (as a link) and it would search for everyone who had ever used that address. Since that functionality is already built in to vB, I knew it was a simple matter of creating the link.

So without further ado, here are the instructions. I've attached them as a text file. Good luck!
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    JJR512.com: Chat about anything!
  • jucs
    • Jun 2000

This has a problem when I installed it. I clicked on the link of the IP # and it does pull up the IP lookup, but that's it. Only the form comes up. It does not do the search for other users per the IP you clicked on.

Comment

• JJR512
      • Dec 2000

When you point to the link, before you click on it, check the address that appears in the status bar. If the address, at the end, contains the named address (not the numeric address), then you need to switch the variables in the template. In other words, switch the 1 with the 2, inside the [ipaddress] parts.
      -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert

Comment

• jucs
        • Jun 2000

The address of the link at the end has the numeric address. And, it still does not work.

I used your template change (the last one in the text file) verbatim.

I made the changes in the text file 'exactly' as you specified them.

Comment

• JJR512
          • Dec 2000

Next two things for me to check. 1. Did you also make the online.php files exactly as specified? 2. Are you using 2.0.3? Your profile says 2.0.2. I have only tested on .3; I think this feature is the same in .2 and .3, but am not 100% sure.

Is anyone else having a problem with this?
          -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert

Comment

• Axel Foley
            • May 2001
            • 3.6.x

Don't worry...

Thanks for the hack...

It works great.

As soon as I installed it I had the same problem, only the search form appeared. But then I discovered the problem:

- When the IP searched isn't in the db only the form appears

- when an IP is found in the DB, the found records appear on top and under them the form

So when no records are found the space above the form is empty.

Hope I've helped you catch the problem...

Thanks for your work...

...Axel
            "Sometimes men stumble upon the truth and then hurry off as if nothing happened"
            - Winston Churchill -

Comment

• jucs
              • Jun 2000

Originally posted by JJR512
              Next two things for me to check. 1. Did you also make the online.php files exactly as specified? 2. Are you using 2.0.3? Your profile says 2.0.2. I have only tested on .3; I think this feature is the same in .2 and .3, but am not 100% sure.

Is anyone else having a problem with this?

1. Yes.
              2. Yes, I updated my profile.

Comment

• JJR512
                • Dec 2000

jucs, did what Axel Foley said help you at all...I mean, are you sure you're searching for an IP that exists in the database? In other words, if you copy the IP to the admin control panel and search for it there, do you get results?
                -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert

Comment

• jucs
                  • Jun 2000

I clicked on the IP for the user. It has to exist. It was the IP from the Online listing.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                    Former vBulletin Developer
                    • May 2000
                    • 1.1.x

It only exists if a user has posted from that IP.

Comment

• LuBi
                      • Jun 2001
                      • 3.7.x

Where is this code, I installed it I believe correctly but how do I see my results?
                      http://www.tchracing.com/forums/live...h_live_sig.jpg

Comment

• JJR512
                        • Dec 2000

LuBi, I'm not quite clear on what you need. You ask where is the code, which makes me think you need the instructions on how to install it...but then you say you belive you have it installed correctly. Then you ask about seeing the results...again, not 100% sure what you mean. Do you mean where do you see the results of the hack itself, or where do you see the results of the IP search? The answer to the first is that this hack makes one of the IPs displayed on Who's Online (visible only to Admins and, I think, Moderators) into a hyperlink that searches for all users who have used that IP. Where you see the results of that search is on the page that shows up after you click that link; if there are no results found, then the IP is not recorded in the database (yet).
                        -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert

Comment

• LuBi
                          • Jun 2001
                          • 3.7.x

I was asking where do I go to see the IP address after I have installed the hack correctly. I don't believe I did it right after your reply so please clarify it should be simple to install.

Comment

• JJR512
                            • Dec 2000

The IP is visible to Admins and probably to Moderators in the Who's Online screen. The IP has its own column. In the Admin CP, there is the option to show the plain numeric IP, or to resolve the IP into an address. My hack bypasses that, basically, and will show you both the IP number and the address. They are both in the same spot as the one was before.
                            -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert

Comment

• LuBi
                              • Jun 2001
                              • 3.7.x

JJR512 after some time now I still don't know where your talking about. lol I've tried but, maybe take a SS so I can see what you mean. thanks anyhow

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...