Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Razasharp
    • Feb 2005
    • 3.7.x

Steve - all the pics in my profile are taken with the 18-55 kit lens. (Although vB has 'softened' them whilst resizing for the album).

Take a look at this pic taken with the 18-55 kit - it was taken with a Nikon D40 which is a fraction of the cost of a D300.

Focal length - 38.00 mm (57 mm equiv.)
    Sensitivity - ISO 200
    Shutter speed - 1/250 sec
    Aperture - F8.0
    Exp comp - +0.0 EV
    Notes - 18-55 mm DX, RAW NX

Click to see original image >>> http://dpreview-img.fotki.com/galler...492-raw-nx.jpg
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

Nice and sharp. I'm curious why the price at preferredphoto.com is hundreds of dollars under what I see at other places for just the body. Have you ordered from them before?

Also what would you recommend for a zoom telephoto, probably 70-200mm?
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• tommykjensen
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        Nice and sharp. I'm curious why the price at preferredphoto.com is hundreds of dollars under what I see at other places for just the body. Have you ordered from them before?
        Probably because it is a bait&switch shop.

Always check Resellerratings.com http://www.resellerratings.com/store/preferredphoto

AKA Broadway Photo

In other words: RUN away like crazy.....
        Best Regards Tommy

Comment

• Razasharp
          • Feb 2005
          • 3.7.x

I don't live in the US so haven't ordered from them sorry... got the link from google shopping. As Tommy said best to stick with shops you know and rate well.

I would order from an official vendor tho - as that way you should get two years warranty (least that is what happens in the UK).

What is Amazons price like? They are offical vendors in the UK, so I guess there too - and usually pretty reasonable (but rarely the cheapest).

The 70-300mm is a nice, well respected lens, has VR (vibration reduction) (which is the same as IS on canons).

If you're not fussed about carrying/changing lens all the time, and would prefer a good walkabout lens - the 18-200 is a neat option. It has VR and you can get D300 kits with it: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-12-3MP-D...4061499&sr=8-2 smack on your budget!

However I would suggest working out which type of lens you want first (depending on what type of pics you want to take).

If I was buying one I would get it with the kit lens - play around with that for a while and then work out what type of lens I want to go for next.

I am no expert, so really do recommend joining a photography forum.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

On Nikon lenses, is there any designation to look for? For instance the 'L' lenses for Canon are considered the superior ones.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Kier
              Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
              • Sep 2000

Steve, there is no doubt that the D300 is a very impressive camera, but pairing it with the 18-55mm kit lens would be insanity. That camera needs to be paired with top quality lenses, and that puts it out of your budget.

Razasharp's example picture is nice and sharp, but it was taken with the lens stopped down to f/8, at which point even the worst of Canon and Nikon's lenses will be sharp. A much more telling example would be to see the same shot with the aperture wide open.

Comment

• ---MAD---
                • Jun 2005
                • 3.8.x

Wow never knew buying a camera would be so complicated :P.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Kier, actually I was thinking:

Nikon D300
                  18-135mm AF-S DX f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikkor Zoom Lens
                  70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor Lens
                  1 backup battery
                  2 8GB Compact Flash

Total: $2701.31 (Amazon, haven't checked B&H yet)

The reviews I have read on those lenses, particularly the 70-300mm VR, were very good.

What do you think? And thanks for helping.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Razasharp
                    • Feb 2005
                    • 3.7.x

I suggested the 18-55 because the cost shouldn't be much more than the D300 body alone - and it gives you some time to think about what lens to get (depending on what kind of photos you want to take).

Although I don't think they do the D300 with the 18-55 as a kit, so as Kier mentioned, it looks like they suggest/offer a better kit lens with the D300... the 18-135.

You could go for that now and always get another lens later - when you know more about what type of photos you want to take.

(Just noticed we've had a new member on YoPhotographer join up, with a D300 and 18-200 lens! His name is Steve too lol)

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

The types of photos I take are:

- Landscapes and Nature
                      - Architectural
                      - Wildlife
                      - People (not necessarily formal portraits)

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

Arizona Petrified National Forest a couple of days after heavy rains. Taken with a Panasonic DMC-20.
                        Attached Files

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• tommykjensen
                          • Nov 2005

Hmm that auto popup to full size is that a 3.7.0 feature or a custom feature here ?
                          Best Regards Tommy

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

It's in 3.7. That image is optimized for print so it's a little too sharp on the screen.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Razasharp
                              • Feb 2005
                              • 3.7.x

Wide angle lens are great for Landscape shots
                              50mm (head n shoulders) or 85mm (top half of body) are great for portraits
                              Telephotos are good for wildlife photos

Join a photography forum Steve - not only will you get more opinion but it'll help improve your skills and encourage you to try new things.

Comment

• tommykjensen
                                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Razasharp
                                Join a photography forum Steve - not only will you get more opinion but it'll help improve your skills and encourage you to try new things.
                                Yep and viewpoints from many different types of photographers both amateurs and proffesionals.
                                Best Regards Tommy

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...